SOftware decoding requirements

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
tornadog
One Eyed Hopeful

SOftware decoding requirements

Post by tornadog »

Do u think an old generation E8400 Dual core CPU can handle the decoding of bluray 3d movies, since my gpu, GTX 285 is not on the supported list for hardware decoding.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: SOftware decoding requirements

Post by cybereality »

I have the same CPU and am hoping the same thing. Guess we will have to wait and see.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi I was testing my 3d system with software decoding on a amd athlon x2 5600+ . So its basically a dual core 2.8 ghz from 2007 and uses ddr2 800mhz ram. When I played a blu-ray 3d movie it did not play correctly it stuttered and skipped the sound. Even if I set the priority thread to "realtime" or "high" it was not upto the task.

You intel cpu is probably faster though as intels have better hyperthreading and cache size. I guess the only way is for you to test it but look at this website for a benchmark : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/blu ... 36-10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It pretty much states the best option is to use at least a triple core cpu, I personally had to upgrade to a quad core to get smooth playback with software encoding. I was going to try and use a geforce gt 240 but I was scepitcal on if it actually would work as a dedicated hardware accelerator for blu-ray 3d. It does have the new "mcv" codec I beleive and is what some websites say from reviewing the 3d movies, but at Nvidia.com they say in their supported list page that only the geforce gt 240 mobile is supported. So I did not want to risk 100 dollars on this card just to see if it would actually work when I got a quad core cpu for the same price.
Blu-ray 3d is really worth the hastle to get to work on your computer because it is clear and proper its just that I would rather have hardware acceleration than software.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
richbutler1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by richbutler1 »

FYI, I picked up a GT 240 for ~$55 and have a dual core AMD 4850e processor (45W 2.7Ghz X2) and used PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D - Mark II to play CWACOM without 1 dropped frame that I could tell.
taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

I'm running an E6600, overclocked to 3.2Ghz. CPU decoding via PDVD10 works perfect with Ice Age 3D. Not a single dropped frame.
Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

Just picked up a Panny VT25 (Plasma, 3D capable/ready) and I have been downloading and testing various S3D clips.

Mostly successful, but curious which part of my hardware might be limiting me:

E6400 @ stock on a Zalman 7000C flower cool
2X1Gb RAM DDR2, not sure of speed-will update
mATX 745G motherboard, legacy from previous computer
ATI 4550 GPU, great for HDMI and LPCM output, handling Side by Side and Over-Under just fine so far.
RAID array via HighPoint 4320 card w/7 drives in RAID5 configuration

Most clips like the Masters and other stuff are playing just fine through the Stereoscopic player.

However, trying to play the 2min clip of the Grand Canyon my CPU hovers around 80% and it occassionally stutters and loses 3D. This is repeatable in a window as well.

Is the 4550 NOT decoding the stream, so the CPU is hitching up?

I have quite a bit of experience with S3D in gaming and HD playback under normal conditions. I have an iZ3D rig myself running a 480GTX and my GF has an Nvision rig on a 280GTX, both watercooled.

Fill me in on what part of HTPC S3D I am missing please :)
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I just looked at your cpu processor and I guess it says its a 2.13ghz dual core. Thats lower than the cpu I had to start with. It seems you might be able to get by with a dual core if the speed is like at least 3.5ghz. Other than that you really only have two options to watch blu-ray 3d movies. Upgrade your processor to a quad core or get at lowest a geforce 240 gt graphics card. If your not usinng your htpc for gaming then go for the 240gt as it will not use your cpu for decoding and can be had for like 50-120 dollars in the states and around. Just one thing to mention is that your gtx 480 card is capable of decoding the blu-ray 3d with the mcv codec. If you could patch that computer into your new 3dtv too then you would not have to spend any money to playback your movies. I really don't think ati has dedicated hardware decoding for blu-ray 3d too.

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

those stats were my error in remembering my first HTPC core, checking CPU-Z verified my mistake:

E6700 CPU
MSI X48 motherboard
4Gb DDR3 1066
RAID card right
8X1TB Hitachi deskstars in RAID 5
ATI 4550 GPU

I have a 260GTX with a waterblock on it that I should have the aircooler laying around, however, what about audio?

The 4550 has HDMI w/LPCM I would need to revert to onboard Analog audio?
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Dgephri wrote:those stats were my error in remembering my first HTPC core, checking CPU-Z verified my mistake:

E6700 CPU
MSI X48 motherboard
4Gb DDR3 1066
RAID card right
8X1TB Hitachi deskstars in RAID 5
ATI 4550 GPU

I have a 260GTX with a waterblock on it that I should have the aircooler laying around, however, what about audio?

The 4550 has HDMI w/LPCM I would need to revert to onboard Analog audio?
Ya since your cpu is faster you should be able to playback the 1080p sidebyside stereo3d movie clips ok I assume. You did say that it was skipping and stuttering though. The easiest route is to get a geforce 240gt or something in the gtx 400 range. They are the only cards that will do hardware decoding for "multiview codec video" and that is the new codec for blu-ray 3d. About your audio, since you hook it through hdmi audio nvidia has the same thing I think, its the 2 pin digital connector from the motherboard audio to the graphics card for loopthrough digital audio. I don't know if the 240gt has it but maybe you can get by with your current specs anyways. The geforce 260 is not gonna solve your decoding problems aswell.

Myself I don't always use the easiest way to wire a computer around to the tv and audio unit. I just run as many wires as I need to get the best picture and sound without having to go out and buy a whole new computer or monitor. Honestly I would not mess up your configuration to badly, you could even try and run stereoscopic player as a "priority thread" as on "high" "above normal" and see if that helps to. Also you could try and run your cpu at full speed even in 2d mode like in windows desktop by changing a setting in your bios. It might help to keep your cpu speed at the full ghz at all times without the drop from being idle or 2d mode and could less 600mhz maybe. Maybe its the "ACPI" energy savings and settings mode for slowdowns.

Cyberia on Youtube

Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

odd, the 260 is listed here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but the 240s are not listed by themselves.

for 3DMovie playback (not 3D blu-ray) it says all 200/100.

And I can't find what the "**" means.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Yes you are right the gtx 260 is listed and the card I have is a gtx 285 and its there too. I don't think they have hardware acceleration and the stars ** means a sub info at the bottom says you need a software blu-ray player to use it, but the second star used to say you could only get software cpu decoding with those cards. It seems they took out that suggestion and I really don't know now if Nvidia is gonna support blu-ray 3d decoding on their gtx 200's. I really hope so with their new drivers but also that supported devices page at nvidia says my monitor cannot play back blu-ray 3d and it actually can.

I never ended up buying a 240gt because the same thing you said but we had members here say it works perfectly for hardware decoding with out one frame dropped ect..

Look here to they show a similar setup like what you have : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/blu ... 36-10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also if you cannot figure out exactly how to smooth out your picture try calling Nvidia and Ati on the phone and speak to a technician and ask them how to configure your system properly for 3d content. I know with htpc's you want the best picture with high resolution and stuff and you will probably feel more confident with a trouble shoot from a worker at one of those companies.

Cyberia on Youtube

Dgephri
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dgephri »

good input on all of it.

Found a thread at AVS suggesting much the same
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am just disappointed that the 240 only has pass through DD audio, not full lossless like my ATI.

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”