eDimensional + LCD screen...hrm

threequadfive
One Eyed Hopeful

eDimensional + LCD screen...hrm

Post by threequadfive »

I just aquired an LCD compatible model for the eDimensional 3D Glasses off Ebay.
I installed the latest software from the site for LCD screens and the shutters look like they are going as does the LCD monitor.,..problem is, on the regular horizontal setup I can't see squat!

If I turn my head at a 90 degree angle I can see the LCD screen just fine. This seems to affect most external LCD screens but not laptop screens. I'm assuming this is due to polorization?

Here is my overall setup:

- eDimensional 3D glasses (lcd compatible per the auction)
- Acer laptop w/NVIDIA 9100M
- External 21'' widescreen dell LCD and a Viewsonic one as well to play with
- Win 7 x 64

Any hints?

I've seen some things about pageflipping and the like but don't see any settings to enable/disable that in the current released driver set....any hints?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: eDimensional + LCD screen...hrm

Post by Likay »

Yeah. It definitely sound like the polarization messes up for you. You can change it by applying a quarterwave or halfwave retarder onto your screen thus changing to circular/rotate linear polarization. It works either way. If you're from usa, then polarization.com is to prefer. They ship to other countries as well but the transport and customfees might be high.
Extra note: Most lcd-screens don't work with shutters because of the huge internal delay between signal shift and actual shown imageshift. Be sure that the display really works for shutters!
The commercial on e-dimensional site that their glasses and drivers supports lcd's is pure bullcrap.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
threequadfive
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by threequadfive »

say what about what filters <lost>
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Sorry. :oops:
Quaterwave retarder film: http://www.polarization.com/polarshop/p ... ucts_id=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This turns the polarization (actually makes it circular from linear) but circular polarization passes through the glasses without problems. Sorry for misinformation about having to plate the whole screen of yours: It's enough if you simply put two small pieces in front of your e-d glasses shutterlenses. You'll probably have to rotate them 45° to work properly.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Sorry bro, but I think you got fooled by edimentional's marketing hype (and a dishonest ebay seller). Shutter glasses, for the most part, will NOT work with standard LCD screens. This is due to two reasons. One is the internal polarization of the display (which you can see when the screen turns black with the glasses on and changes as you tilt your head). Secondly is the refresh rates which are usually only 60hz and not at a fixed constant rate like CRTs. So even assuming you fixed the polarization issues you would still have a image that flickered like mad and probably goes out of sync constantly. In other words, it doesn't work. It is very sad that people are still advertising it like it does and they do a dis-service to the community.

The only way those shutter glasses will work is either with a CRT monitor or with a 3D ready DLP HDTV like ones from Samsung or Mitsubishi. Regular LCDs will not work. However even in that case they are other issues I won't get into here. If you do decided you want to pursue this then they are other screens you can buy that will work. Of them are the Nvidia 3D Vision bundle, the Zalman Trimon 3D monitor, or the IZ3D. I recommend the Zalman, which costs under $300. If that is too much to spend then maybe you want to try anaglyph glasses while you save up some money. I recommend the Pro-Ana glasses. Hope that helps.
threequadfive
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by threequadfive »

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

Time to pursue a refund!

I'm going to stick with the anaglyphs until the pricing on some of the newer shutter tech with LCD specific screens and brands starts going down in price (probably in a few years huh?)
youbobcat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by youbobcat »

I got a solution dodge but works you can just use some 3d polarized glasses in the addition to edimensional shutter ones to eliminate the polarized effect for me i just use real d 3d glasses ones i got watching avatar in the cinema I'm thinking of taking out the polarized filters from the glasses and attaching them to the edimensional ones.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yeah. At least it enables a try with your monitor. However it's most probably not going to work with an lcd anyway (see cybers and my posts above).
dukenukesam
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dukenukesam »

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that I purchased in 2008 a pair of wireless edimensional glasses and they worked great with a CRT.

2010 and I got them out of the box again and using a 21" LCD AOC with 1680x1050 res at 60HZ Plus iZ3D and sometimes Tridef for some games and movies they work awesome!!. There is almost no flicker at all, almost unnoticeable. Image doesnt seem as dark as before with the CRT (maybe I just dont remember that well, but seems pretty lit up to me).

I know lots of people (me included) have had a hard time making them work, but I guess it just takes a bit of tweaking the 3D settings and getting the right res and HZ combo for perfect synch. 60HZ has seems to work good for me.

Saving for a Zalman in the meantime :D

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”