Real D vs Dolby 3D

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
Sir C
One Eyed Hopeful

Real D vs Dolby 3D

Post by Sir C »

Hi everyone,

I recently watched my official first 3d Movie, and for a good start was Avatar :woot .

I watched it twice in two differents systems, Real D and Dolby 3D.

In Real D the movie looks very good, although I was in the front left seats, I did not see any type of ghosting or artifacts.

However in Dolby 3D my 3d experience was not as good, because there was a lot of ghosting and some artifacts like a paletized rainbows, especially in dark and/or blurried scenes, for example in scennes with smoke or clouds, or scenes with parts "out of focus". I think that all of those problems was because of the glasses, because some times I took them off for a momment ad did not see any problem in the screen.

So, some of you have seen any of these problems in Dolby 3D cinemas?
edgoll
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Real D vs Dolby 3D

Post by edgoll »

I havent seen dolby 3d but I had a similar experence with Imax vs Real d. After seeing Avatar twice in real D I wanted to see the IMAX version. Imax definitely does pop out more but I also was distracted during many scenes with either ghosting or blurring. All in all I prefered Real d even though the out of screen in some scenes for IMAX was pretty spectacular.

The fact that IMAX seems to reuse their glasses and they were kind of smeared may have contributed to the issue. I wonder what others have experienced.
Blackbird 002, Maingear
GPU: Nvidia geforce 3d glasses, VR Vive Pro, Oculus; Mothballed 3d hardware: eDdimensional, z800
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Dirty or too much weared glasses indeed messes with the polarization. I've noticed this at home. It seem to be worse with marks like "oily fingerprints" rather than common dust.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I was amazed by Avatar in a Dolby 3D cinema.
I looked hard severel times but could not detect any ghosting. Bright and colorfull 3D. Much bettar than my pc :(
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I saw it with Dolby 3D. There were many people complaining for dirty glasses before the movie started, and it was a kind of dirt that could not be cleaned. My wife got one of those that could not be cleaned and had to go to change them, as did many people. Mines were dirty but could clean them. I saw some ghosting in a few scenes.
It seems that they don't treat them very carefully.

It was not the first movie I have seen with Dolby 3D, and I have always seen a bit of ghosting in a very few scenes. It uses to be a dark object with a bright background (backlighted). But overall the image is bright and colorful, without ghosting.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I've now seen Avatar twice in Dolby 3D and once in RealD (both with brand new projectors (and it is very expensive projectors btw - think ~200.000$) and good glasses.
I slightly prefer Dolby 3D, but only slightly because:
the silverscreen occasionally showed slightly grainy light difference in left and right view. I saw this f.ex. in some of the reggae hair of the Na'vi.

Both are good though like 97-98% perfect and I was sitting closer to the screen in the RealD which maybe is a little brighter than Dolby 3D(?). I found them both very good regarding resolution, light, ghosting etc. In both cinemas I had to remove the glasses to see how much the images were separated.
Art4Med
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Art4Med »

If you are a corrective-lens wearer, note that these artifacts are seen every day with the coated lenses.
In particular, they are exaggerated with the"Transitions" lenses [that change from light to dark in sunlight].
So, remember to eliminate this as a possible source for perceived '3D-S artifacts.' :geek:

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”