Developer Contest

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!

Do you think creating a developer contest is a good idea?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:32 pm

No thanks, I like using Third Party Drivers (Nvida, IZ3D, TriDef)
60%
I would contribute $1 for this!
No votes
I would contribute $5 for this!
No votes
I would contribute $10 for this!
40%
I would contribute more than $10 for this!
No votes

Total votes: 5

pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Developer Contest

Post by pixel67 »

Hi Guys,
I came up with an idea that I thought was interesting enough to start a poll on. I posted this in another section on paying for 3d driver support and thought I would start a new thread. The idea goes like this...

We create a Software Developer Contest that rewards a software developer directly for adding native Stereo3D support to their games. Each member contributes a certain dollar amount that would go into a pool of money that could be held by MTBS. This pool of money would be released to the first developer that adds or builds native Stereo3D support in their game. As our membership grows, so does this fund which would increase visibility of Stereo3D in a major way!

What do you think?

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I don't feel very optimistic about that. I mean, that won't happen, though would be really cool.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

not to destry your idea, but if 1000 people partecipate >(1000 is WAY beyond the reality at the moment) we would get 10000$. for a game developer 10000$ is just enough to pay one person for 2 months...

i would search for another solution.

bye

sharky
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

sharky wrote:not to destry your idea, but if 1000 people partecipate >(1000 is WAY beyond the reality at the moment) we would get 10000$. for a game developer 10000$ is just enough to pay one person for 2 months...

i would search for another solution.

bye

sharky
True Sharky, $10,000 isn't much but would help offset some of the costs. This is only a very small fraction of what this advocacy site could offer as part of this contest. Free game advertising space, a dedicated forum entry specific to the title, an interview between MTBS3D Management and the developer, and 2000 plus members (sorry for mis-stating the numbers earlier) who would be posting on other forums about how cool the game is in native 3d would all be ways to encourage developers to jump on board. This would also benefit the display providers (IZ3D, TDVision, etc) as they wouldn't need to dedicate their own resources to supporting the game or be playing the waiting game for new 3rd party stereo drivers. These companies could be corporate sponsors and donate to the cause. If there was a banner accross the top of MTBS3D announcing the game as the first native stereo3d title, that advertising alone would help sell more of their product and truly differentiate them from all of the other games out this holiday season, or the next one. For example, TDVision could donate a single license of their TDVirtualCam software for inclusion in said game to speed up development and add credibility to their own product. IZ3D could offer their display profile as well. They would then receive advertising space on the site as well and gain visibility of the technology. Skeptical of the power of forum posts and advertising? Do a google search for "Stereo3d games" and look at the 7th result. Crysis!. This is a direct result of our members posting on the forums! Do another for "samsung DLP3D drivers", or "Dolby 3D Interview". Posts from this site are on the first page! Stereo3D, like the PS3 and Xbox 360, needs a "killer app" to sell the technology. Native stereo should be our ultimate objective as it would offer higher frame rates and removes the "hacking" process that current 3d drivers employ. Even if the game could only offer the "bread and butter" required for stereovision, generation of the stereo pair, then companies that offer display technologies simply need to re-format (IZ3D Polarization, DLP3D Checkerboard, etc...). Lower CPU/GPU utilization by 3rd Party drivers would greatly benefit everyone.

The contest idea is just that, an idea to bring the community together towards a common goal using the assets that the community can provide. Has your search for another solution to this been fruitfull? Anything others would like to see added to this? Our voice counts, but only if we are marching towards the same goal... If you guys don't think this is a good approach, then reply with what you DO think would be a good approach.
Cheers!
Pixel
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I've been thinking that maybe a better solution would be an annual prize, by the election of the best stereoscopic game of the year or something like that.
sharky

Post by sharky »

that sounds interesting.. :)
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

yep, that would work as well...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yes! When I started MTBS, I was thinking of having something like "The Golden Glasses" awards for best certified game as voted by users - something like that.

Regards,
Neil
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Or even better, suggest some kind of organization like the academy of interactive arts & science ( http://www.interactive.org/ ) to add the best stereoscopic game category at their awards. They have a lot of categories ( http://www.interactive.org/awards.php?w ... 728#200728 ), maybe they don't mind to add one more :)
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

crim3 wrote:Or even better, suggest some kind of organization like the academy of interactive arts & science ( http://www.interactive.org/ ) to add the best stereoscopic game category at their awards. They have a lot of categories ( http://www.interactive.org/awards.php?w ... 728#200728 ), maybe they don't mind to add one more :)
That would be really cool, but I think we would need to prove the concept within the confines of MTBS3D first so they will take notice...

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
gordie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gordie »

I'd like to nominate 'Nanosaur II: Hatchling' for whatever you end up calling the award.

It has native Anaglyph support built into the game. It's for Macs but has also been ported
to Windows.

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”