Splinter Cell Conviction 1st impressions = HORRIBLE (04/28)

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
christ0ff
Two Eyed Hopeful

Splinter Cell Conviction 1st impressions = HORRIBLE (04/28)

Post by christ0ff »

I am starting this thread to see if anyone has had more success than me running Splinter Cell Conviction in S3D...

I was actually surprised following Assassin Creed II excellent S3D to find the Splinter Cell Conviction is HORRIBLE !!! At least for now... :o

There is ghosting all over the place and dynamic shadows (which can't be turned off from the menu), reflections are all wrong... Some objects and most text just show up in one eye (yeah ! huh?) making the whole experience a drain on your brain...

It could be a really good game in 3D, and hopefully it will be better once new drivers support that game.

In the meantime, I have started to play with the config file, but without success really..

Please submit you tweaks if you can figure out how to turn off shadows, reflections and get something playable... It looks great in 2D, too bad I can't live without my glasses now :)

So here we go with the snapshots:

1) First the biggest blunder that probably causes headache to anyone in no time -
Some objects are only rendered in one eye !!!! HUH ?? Yeah... check this out: (notice the active text is only rendered in one eye too)...

Image]

2) Something is to be said about shadows... How can some games just shine and others don't? Specially after AC2 when shadows were a little off, but that didn't get in the way. Here it is so bad that it hurts. Plus there is no way to turn them off at all from the menus (yuk...)

Check out the urinals shadows on the wall (also the bottles shadows).. it's all wrong!

3) On this scene, there is so many problems that I can't even start listing them... One sure thing, watch this in S3D and get a major headache in no time !!!
Way to go Ubi! (BTW, when you are in shadows (unseen by others), the screen turns black and white... this is why...)

Ok people, let's try to get it fixed and share your experience !
Last edited by christ0ff on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My specs:
2.4Ghz dual core - 2Gb Memory - 8800 GTS 512Mb
Nvidia 3d Vision + Viewsonic 120Hz
Windows 7 Ultimate - DX 11
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Splinter Cell Conviction 1st impressions = HORRIBLE (04/

Post by Neil »

Very interesting. Remember to submit to M3GA.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It almost feels like the image is reversed (very little depth though) but there are so many anomalies it's really hard to tell though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
christ0ff
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by christ0ff »

Likay wrote:It almost feels like the image is reversed (very little depth though) but there are so many anomalies it's really hard to tell though.
That's what I thought at first, but I turned the glasses over and it was as bad...
:shutter
My specs:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Disappointing.
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

christ0ff wrote:I was actually surprised following Assassin Creed II excellent S3D to find the Splinter Cell Conviction is HORRIBLE !!! At least for now... :o

There is ghosting all over the place and dynamic shadows (which can't be turned off from the menu), reflections are all wrong... Some objects and most text just show up in one eye (yeah ! huh?) making the whole experience a drain on your brain...

It could be a really good game in 3D, and hopefully it will be better once new drivers support that game.

None of this is surprising though. It's a 2D game!

Forcing a 2D game to render stereoscopically is like training a dog to sing.
Dogs don't know how to sing; they're terrible at it. A 2D game doesn't know how to render in 3D.

The solution is not to hire a better singing teacher, it's to have a better singer. Game engines should render their own stereo. The more we can do to get that message to game developers, the better it'll be for everyone.

Native stereo. Because dogs can't sing.™
twisterbr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by twisterbr »

oh man, this is bad...
some things are missing on the opposite image, like shadows and other details
disappointing :|
christ0ff
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by christ0ff »

Did anyone figure out some settings from the ini files that would solve some of these issues?

Like how to turn off shadows completely... duh?

My specs:

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”