AMD Announces S-3D Plans at GDC 2010

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

AMD Announces S-3D Plans at GDC 2010

Post by Neil »

We are surprised more people didn’t report on this. It is perhaps the most important announcement to be made from GDC 2010!

AMD has officially announced their plans and efforts to work towards industry-wide stereoscopic 3D support. Polarized solutions, shutter glasses, diverse S-3D driver options - AMD wants to back all of it. We will work to get more details, but this is a major paradigm shift for the industry. Will game developers want to sell their titles through one pair of glasses, or will they want to support all the solutions? What will S-3D customers ultimately want? Do game developer and customer wishes match up?

We shall see.

Congrats to Epic Games for implementing S-3D support in Unreal Engine 3 with NVIDIA’s GeForce 3D Vision. It’s a start.

Share your thoughts!

Regards,
Neil
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: AMD Announces S-3D Plans at GDC 2010

Post by DmitryKo »

This slide was taken out of the presentation for the "AMD Gaming Evolved" initiative, and actually there is a lot of coverage.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2010/03/10/am ... pt-secret/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.google.com/search?q=AMD+Gaming+Evolved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's just the slide does not contain much new information. We all knew it before that AMD will work with iZ3D and DDD to provide support for 120 Hz monitors, they will work with shutter glasses manufacturers to the same end, they will work with Cyberlink to enable Blu-ray 3D support, and they will not make their own stereo driver and will continue to rely on middleware drivers from DDD and iZ3D. So most of these features like support for both passive polarized and active shugger glasses, Direct3D 11 support, or quad-buffered OpenGL support really come from the partners, not ATI/AMD themselves. There may be some news about EyeFinity with stereo 3D, but it was quite expected that they would work to enable it.

I don't quite understand what kind of "bundled solutions" they are talking about. What's that, exactly? Active glasses + stereo game bundle, or maybe TV + active glasses + stereo game bundle? I don't think current 120 Hz monitors would come bundled with 3rd party glasses other than GeForce 3D Vision.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I think it's advantageous for a driver developer(s) to be working directly with a graphics card manufacturer. I'll work to get more information. We just got in late yesterday.

Regards,
Neil
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Looking at the slide, it seems to me that AMD has gathered all major parties except 3D HDTVs. I'd like to know if AMD has plans to work with relevant parties to make sure

-- one can play computer S3D games on 3D HDTV (i.e. not just 3D computer monitors) at full 1080p resolution / 60 Hz both eyes (not half resolution)
-- one can play 3D Blu-Ray movies using computer software player on 3D HDTV (i.e. not just 3D computer monitors) at full 1080p resolution

Thanks.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:AMD has gathered all major parties except 3D HDTVs. I'd like to know if AMD has plans to work with relevant parties
No.

BTW if you look at the "Glasses/Emitters" section of the slide, it lists Samsung, LG, CMO, AUO, Bit Cauldron, iPanel; the "Panels" section lists Samsung, CMO and Bit Cauldron.
Unfortunately the list were inserted as graphics with very low resolution, so there may be some errors.

http://www.slideshare.net/AMDUnprocesse ... d-gdc-2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slide 40
Last edited by DmitryKo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This is very good news. I hope they plan to support projectors, like that one from Acer.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Competition is always good for the customer. :D Let's see what happens!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
gicko
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gicko »

VERY GOOD NEWS AT LAST!

I have bought recently the ATI 5970 AND ATI 5870 AND I THINK THAT THEY ARE FANTASTIC CARDS WITH DX11! THE DX11 GAMES LOOK VERY GOOD...I played BATTLEFORGE, DIRT2, ALIEN VS PREDATOR, BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2 !!!! I FOUND THEY ARE EXCELLENT WITH DX11...I PLAYED ALSO IN STEREOSCOPIC STAR TREK on line and it is a big pleasure for me to play it with the IZ3D MONITOR because it looks fantastic!
IT IS A PITY THAT WE CANT PLAY IN DX11 WITH THE IZ3D YET !

SO I FOUND FINALLY THAT THE NEW PLANS FOR AMD AND ATI STEREOSCOPIC SUPPORT ARE VERY EXCITING NEWS!

IZ3D MONITOR+ PHENOM 965+ 4G DDR3+W7 64bit+ATI 5970= VERY HAPPY ALSO
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

i just found a video interview about AMD open initiatives at GDC (open stereo / bullet open physics)
Not much new information, just the AMD PR guy explaining overall what's it's about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG71b9Jk ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Neil

Post by Neil »

Nicole! Pam and I I know Nicole very well. She's the best! :)

We bump into her all the time when we go to these conferences.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Newswire”