Anaglyph to Red-eye Shutterglasses Method (ATRESM)

budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Anaglyph to Red-eye Shutterglasses Method (ATRESM)

Post by budda »

Hi,

I wanted a method of combining the advantages of anaglyph viewing with the advantages of shutterglasses viewing, but with a minimum of drawbacks.

This method is best suited to CRT monitors at this time, as the newer display technologies still have some issues which this method won't overcome.

Anaglyph

The main disadvantage of anaglyph is "retinal rivalry", which manifests itself as an apparent flashing of right and left eye colour images, as the brain tries to reconcile the scene its viewing.

One way to overcome this problem is to use the same colour for both eyes.

Whilst one colour for both eyes is incompatible with anaglyph viewing, it is not a problem for field-sequential viewing using shutterglasses.

Shutterglasses

On the other hand, one of the main disadvantage of shutterglasses (and other display technologies at this time) is ghosting.

Ghosting can be virtually eliminated in CRT displays by only displaying the red component of the image, because the red phosphor is particularly fast acting, whilst the green and blue phosphors are not.

Anaglyph + Shutterglasses

The net combination of using anaglyph with a red field-sequential CRT display, is ideally no ghosting and no retinal rivalry.

I have built a hardware version of this concept and it works excellently.

However, this concept can be implemented entirely in software with customised drivers.

In the following attachment, I have illustrated the logical schematic for implementing this idea.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-3047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later, I will the detail the hardware to make this work in practice.

It can be done using a CRT monitor, edimensional wired glasses and dongle, the E-D activator software and the iZ3D black and white anaglyph driver.

Thanks.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”