HDMI LICENSING, LLC RELEASES HDMI SPECIFICATION VERSION 1.4A

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by metalqueen »

Latest Version Specifies Mandatory 3D Formats For Broadcast Content

SUNNYVALE, Calif., March 4, 2010 – HDMI Licensing, LLC, the agent responsible for licensing the High-Definition Multimedia Interface® (HDMI®) specification, today announced, on behalf of the HDMI Founders, the release of HDMI Specification Version 1.4a featuring key enhancements for 3D applications including the addition of mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content as well as the addition of the 3D format referred to as Top-and-Bottom. The complete HDMI Specification Version 1.4a, along with the 1.4a version of the Compliance Test Specification (CTS), is available to Adopters on the HDMI Adopter Extranet.

An extraction of the 3D portion of Specification Version 1.4a is available for public download on the HDMI Web site at http://www.hdmi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The purpose of the extraction document is to provide public access to the 3D portion of the HDMI Specification for those companies and organizations that are not HDMI Adopters but require access to this portion of the Specification.

"We published these latest enhancements to support the market need for broadcast 3D content," said Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing, LLC. "When we launched 1.4 in June of 2009, we deferred the selection of mandatory 3D format(s) for broadcast content until the market direction was more clearly defined. The market has spoken and the HDMI Consortium has listened and responded to accommodate those market needs."

The latest HDMI Specification adds key enhancements to support the market requirements for bringing broadcast 3D content into the home:

1. The addition of Top-and-Bottom to the Specification.
2. The addition of two mandatory formats for broadcast content:
* Side-by-Side Horizontal
* Top-and-Bottom

With the addition of these two mandatory formats, the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a provides a level of interoperability for devices designed to deliver 3D content over the HDMI connection. The mandatory 3D formats are:

3D Mandatory Formats

* For movie content:
o Frame Packing
+ 1080p @ 23.98/24Hz
* For game content:
o Frame Packing
+ 720p @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz
* For broadcast content:
o Side-by-Side Horizontal
+ 1080i @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz
o Top-and-Bottom
+ 1080p @ 23.97/24Hz

Implementing the mandatory formats of the HDMI Specification facilitates interoperability among devices, allowing devices to speak a common 3D language when transmitting and receiving 3D content. The mandatory requirements for devices implementing 3D formats are:

* Displays – must support all mandatory formats.
* Sources – must support at least one mandatory format.
* Repeaters - must be able to pass through all mandatory formats.

HDMI Adopters will have 90 days from the publication of the Specification Version 1.4a to build and sell products that are compliant with 1.4a as well as pass the CTS Version 1.4a. This also applies to legacy set-top boxes that may have upgraded to use Specification Version 1.4 signaling.

For more information about the HDMI specification please visit http://www.hdmi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

About HDMI Licensing, LLC

HDMI Licensing, LLC is the agent responsible for licensing the HDMI specification, promoting the HDMI standard and providing education on the benefits of the HDMI specification to Adopters, retailers and consumers. The HDMI specification was developed by Hitachi, Ltd.; Panasonic Corporation; Philips Consumer Electronics International, B.V.; Silicon Image, Inc.; Sony Corporation; Technicolor S.A. (formerly Thomson S.A.) and Toshiba Corporation as the all-digital interface standard for the consumer electronics and personal computer markets. The HDMI specification combines uncompressed high-definition video, multi-channel audio, and data in a single digital interface to provide crystal-clear digital quality over a single cable. HDMI Licensing, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Silicon Image, Inc. For more information about the HDMI specification, please visit http://www.hdmi.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Forward-looking Statements

This news release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of federal securities laws and regulations, including, but not limited to, statements regarding the market need for broadcast 3D content, the ability of the latest version of the HDMI specification to address this perceived market need and the current and anticipated features, functionality and benefits of the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, including the risk that the mandatory 3D formats included in the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a will not address the perceived market need for broadcast 3D content as well as the risks and uncertainties described from time to time in Silicon Image’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). These risks and uncertainties could cause the actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by the forward-looking statements contained in this news release. Silicon Image assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement.

HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing, LLC in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners in the Unites States and/or other countries.

# # #
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Re: HDMI LICENSING, LLC RELEASES HDMI SPECIFICATION VERSION

Post by taz291819 »

This isn't good news for us DLP users with Directv. Our displays require a 1080p/60Hz signal, which isn't in the broadcast formats. You can't even turn on the 3D mode if you send a 1080i/60Hz or 1080p/24Hz signal.

EDIT:
I may have spoken too soon. It seems the Mits converter isn't just for 3D BD, but for various 3D sources.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

metalqueen wrote: ...
2. The addition of two mandatory formats for broadcast content:
* Side-by-Side Horizontal
* Top-and-Bottom
With the addition of these two mandatory formats, the HDMI Specification Version 1.4a provides a level of interoperability for devices designed to deliver 3D content over the HDMI connection. The mandatory 3D formats are:

3D Mandatory Formats
* For broadcast content:
o Side-by-Side Horizontal
+ 1080i @ 50 or 59.94/60Hz
o Top-and-Bottom
+ 1080p @ 23.97/24Hz
* Displays – must support all mandatory formats.
Are these new non-frame packing formats compatible with existing computer formats? e.g. I can set computer to 1280x720 60Hz resolution, set iZ3D driver to output Top-and-Bottom, and connect to an HDMI 1.4a 3D TV and it is guaranteed to work in 3D (though only 720p resolution)? (Paging Dmitry :-)
taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Post by taz291819 »

That's where the software player, like Stereoscopic Player, comes in. It already converts various methods to whatever your display needs. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as PC software players can pretty much pull of anything.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

taz291819 wrote: I wouldn't worry about it too much, as PC software players can pretty much pull of anything
Unfortunately, this is not the case.

TV sets typically use provide some form of half resolution format such as checkerboard (TI) or side-by-side with checherboard sampling (RealD, Sensio), so the game or video player only need to compose the picture frame in this format; the user needs to enable stereo mode manually.

HDMI 3D is automatic and communicating the stereo formatand using Data Island control messages, which are separate from the video data - so it's not enough to just prepare the image with a needed L/R frame arrangement, the software needs to have low-level acces to HDMI port.
ssiu wrote:Are these new non-frame packing formats compatible with existing computer formats? e.g. I can set computer to 1280x720 60Hz resolution, set iZ3D driver to output Top-and-Bottom, and connect to an HDMI 1.4a 3D TV and it is guaranteed to work in 3D (though only 720p resolution)?
No (see above).

See 3D Portion Of HDMI Version 1.4 Available For Download - has been updated with 1.4a specs
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Indeed We may have an issue with the hdmi protocol being emitted by the computer if it isn't spec1.4 compliant.

On a side note, we may sometimes also have some TVs that would allow manual overrides to force the TV in 3D mode even if the hdmi input isn't spec1.4 compliant.
But this will have to be studied on a case by case basis for each TV.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

BlackShark wrote:I some TVs that would allow manual overrides to force the TV in 3D mode
We'll see. Though I doubt it, it would certainly be cool if the manual stereo modes in 3D TV sets which are typically used for PC gaming would include support for full resolution formats such as side-by-side full or progressive frame packing - that would allow using built-in emitters and/or built-in VESA Stereo port in the TV set.

Full-resolution frame alternative 1080p at 120 Hz would only be possible with external sync from an emitter connected to the PC, since the frame sequential signal is not self-synchronizing without additional tagging, unlike side-by-side and frame packing formats where the full stereo frame contains L/R pictures in fixed positions. However frame packing is not supposed to be licensed for use outside HDMI 3D implementations, unlike Sensio and RealD side-by-side formats.

In the end, even though full-resolution 1080p60 stereo modes are defined for some future use, they will be largely irrelevant in the following years. All in all, they are optional non-mandatory modes listed in the secondary part of the recommended video timings spec; that's not really encouraging.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is great for 3D BluRay. For gaming... not so much. I mean, 720P is alright (I guess) for PS3 content, but what about the next-gen? Seems very short-sighted if you ask me.
Jadentheman

Post by Jadentheman »

It always for a quick buck with these guys
Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

cybereality wrote:This is great for 3D BluRay. For gaming... not so much. I mean, 720P is alright (I guess) for PS3 content, but what about the next-gen? Seems very short-sighted if you ask me.

Nah, it's not short sighted, it's a rip off.

The bandwidth needed for 1080p @ 24 FPS HDMI 1.3 can already handle easily, since HDMI 1.3 can do 1080p@60, and if i understand this correctly, it doesn't seem like 1.4 will support 3d stereo at 60Hz per eye? that's just a rip off, why even change the spec in the first place then?
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

A revision already :/ And to me it also seems they just want to force customers to constantly buy new equipment. HDMI just sucks, we should boycott it :p
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Kamus wrote:i understand this correctly, it doesn't seem like 1.4 will support 3d stereo at 60Hz per eye? that's just a rip off, why even change the spec in the first place then?
It's not about specs, it's about lack of support in the actual hardware. Even the latest chips from Silicon Image only support up to 1080p60 and 720p120 with 36 bit color (225 MHz pixel clock) instead of full 340 MHz clock allowed by HDMI 1.3.
CEA861-E does provide standard 1080p120 mode and even the manufacturer may optionally support just about every advanced timing he wants; however, very few TVs and projectors implement 120 Hz, if any.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”