Large FOV 3D Stationary viewer

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
BasementScientist
One Eyed Hopeful

Large FOV 3D Stationary viewer

Post by BasementScientist »

has anyone tried a setup like this (pic ).

The user views through a fresnel lens, an image projected by a "pocket projector" onto a surface behind the lenses.
There would be 1 lens/projector for each eye.

Working with fresnel lenses before, i've achieved entire fields of view.

Sorry for the crude drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BasementScientist
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Large FOV 3D Stationary viewer

Looks like i'm trying to do it the hard way.

http://www.berezin.com/3d/viewers1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that might be able to work.

I've used a frenel on an old 17" CRT and it was certainly more immersive. Could be interesting to try with a bigger screen.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I have done a thread previously on this but it seems most of those side by side viewers have too small a fov. The probelm with the mini projector idea is crossover so you might as well use 2 lcd's.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
BasementScientist
One Eyed Hopeful

This was more along of what I was thinking. The magnifying lenses and larger projected image should give a better fov.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I like that last picture. As long as you have a rear projection screen in front of each eye and the fresnel that might work. We have another thread about mini projectors in a HMD but this is the best implementation yet. Having the projectors as the sides of the head back towards the rear will balance it out instead of way in front.

If only the projectors were cheap enough.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that is a similar design to what I was thinking about doing. Except I would use only one mirror. With 2 mirrors, using back-projection, the image will be reversed and that would be a problem. But otherwise very similar to what I was thinking. I am really keen on having the full FOV (180+ degree) so fresnel may be the way to go. I don't know if that would distort the image too much. But it would be nice to have the full FOV.
BasementScientist
One Eyed Hopeful

I wouldn't imagine it being difficult for the IZ3D driver to flip the screen horizontally.

When I do get around to trying it, I'm thinking the laser powered version may eliminate any focusing issues.
It would cost more than some models of the same resolution. It's still cheaper than what's available now with the larger FOV's at $10,000.000 or higher.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”