Avatar: The Game (Demo Version) Preview Results

Post your comments about official MTBS game reviews here.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Avatar: The Game (Demo Version) Preview Results

Post by Neil »

Not quite a game review, and more of a commentary.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/game_revi ... news_id=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Share your thoughts.

Regards,
Neil
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Avatar: The Game (Demo Version) Preview Results

Post by Okta »

No shutter method, not good enough. At least Nvidia will be shown up for the partisans they are.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
OllyLuck
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by OllyLuck »

Very good read there , i am impressed with the game i wasn't expecting much,i thought it would just be a silly little game based on the film but , the graphics are nice and the game play is good. :shock:
You get a nice array of vehicles in the demo to mess with,the stereo 3d works well in game i could not find any problems with it (playing in anaglyph) :woot and got good performance just for a demo , i think you will be wright in saying the the full game will be even better since this is just a snippet of the game looking foward to see the out come.
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

I have tried interlaced and reald outputs with my zalman monitor (obviously without 3D drivers), but it didn't work... :shock:
I also specified the distance from monitor and the inches of the monitor (22).
Neil

Post by Neil »

Koshien,

What solution are you running?

Thank you all for your feedback.

Regards,
Neil
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

Neil wrote:Koshien,

What solution are you running?
Macbook pro with windows 7 Home premium 64 bit via bootcamp and 22" Zalman Trimon monitor.
I had some problems with iz3d drivers some days ago, remember? :wink:
In the past 14 days I have been using ddd drivers (trial period) and it all worked great!
Trial period has expired by now and I have no way to play the demo in s-3D other than the stereo-3d settings found in the demo's options (I am going to buy a desktop pc as soon as Fermi vgas come out, so there is no reason for me to buy the license right now).
I am going give it some more tries later tonight :)
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

A minor work-around for the 3D for nVidia Vision set up is to NOT enable 3D mode (if you have, you need to put it back to the default 3D mode which I think is Checkerboard apply settings, then disable 3D). When in-game, toggle the nVidia 3D Vision by the hotkey or the button on the IR transmitter. You will have much better control over convergence (like normal games) but will lose all the in-game settings which are actually very nice.. But the S3D runs a lot smoother and has much less visual issues.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

It works on 7600 GT with 162,5 drivers too problemless. Too 2048x768, 85 Hz.

P
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

Here are some screens w/ my above method. Filename: AvatarDemo10_50.jps is a cool one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

Gabe, of Ubisoft forum, has taken the initiative to inform the team about the 3D Vision issues. Hopefully they remedy it.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Someone from Ubisoft posted, or a member posted?

Regards,
Neil
Kamus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kamus »

Played the demo, the 3d works perfectly with out the need of a third party driver on my dual projector setup.
The 3d looks artifact free as expected, and the separation can be fine tuned in the options, along with screen size and distance from the screen, which is great.

As far as the 3d goes. It's ok, but i've yet to see a game that can beat DMC4 when it comes to using 3d stereo to it's best.
As good as the 3d stereo is in this game, it's just not as immersive as in a game like DMC4, the demo itself was just "OK" gameplay didn't impress me, but at least it looks like something i'd play, there's more than quite a few things that seem very incomplete. like the smurfs themselves, sometimes when i ran over them with a vehicle, the models lacked animation and it looked pretty lame.

But over all, the game is "OK", i'll probably play the full version even though i wasn't impressed by the game.
i do wish this was a trend among game developers though, it doesn't look like a hard thing to implement at all.

If there's one game i would like to play on 3d stereo more than any other game... is Bayonetta, i saw the Xbox 360 and PS3 demos of that game, and it has very similar perspectives to the ones in the DMC series (it is after all, made by the creator of DMC) it's too bad there's no PC version of that game, it looks like it would be the most amazing 3d stereo experience ever. (really, you owe it to yourselves to check this one out, you'll see where i'm coming from)
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Kamus wrote:As far as the 3d goes. It's ok, but i've yet to see a game that can beat DMC4 when it comes to using 3d stereo to it's best.
As good as the 3d stereo is in this game, it's just not as immersive as in a game like DMC4, the demo itself was just "OK" gameplay didn't impress me

[...]

If there's one game i would like to play on 3d stereo more than any other game... is Bayonetta, i saw the Xbox 360 and PS3 demos of that game, and it has very similar perspectives to the ones in the DMC series (it is after all, made by the creator of DMC) it's too bad there's no PC version of that game, it looks like it would be the most amazing 3d stereo experience ever. (really, you owe it to yourselves to check this one out, you'll see where i'm coming from)
Agree +10000%

I believe AVATAR would gain a lot in immersion if the field of view could be increased to PC gaming standards. The current game feels like if i was constrained into a small box : an effect i often see in console ports. (Halo1,2, Resident Evil 5)

EDIt :
Neil, you can take full res screenshots by using the dual-head output (you need to restart the game). then take screenshots using fraps or the windows screenshot feature (the ingame screenshot freature still catches mono images)
Last edited by BlackShark on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

Neil wrote:Someone from Ubisoft posted, or a member posted?

Regards,
Neil
Gabe, the "ComDev" Ubisoft representative on the forum. He does all the online announcements I think.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Will FRAPS capture dual head results? I didn't know it could do that.

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

video review complete with footage from the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9Og_r2dGo
It works on 7600 GT with 162,5 drivers too problemless. Too 2048x768, 85 Hz.
wow...
Last edited by yuriythebest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I don't know about fraps, but windows XP sure does (print-screen -> MS_Paint -> paste image)

Here's an example with iZ3D output in Avatar
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Neil

Post by Neil »

Interesting. I can try!

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

ChibiChaingun wrote:Here are some screens w/ my above method. Filename: AvatarDemo10_50.jps is a cool one.

yeah it works but the crosshair is at screen depth while in the native support it would "stick" to the closest object in front of it
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Neil
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Stereo-3D SDK, that sounds like music to me :)
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Nobsi
Cross Eyed!

Post by Nobsi »

Did someone find a way to adjust the convergence setting for the in-game 3D? I use to play with strong separation to have maximum depth, but with the current convergence setting the player character shows up in front of the screen and is clipping with the screen edges all the time so destroying the 3D illusion.

The external nVidia 3D driver on the other hand allows to set the convergence to a convient value, but there are some anomalies (mainly with the water) and the cross hair stucks at screen depth.

There is rumor about a new nVidia 3D driver version, but will this fix the above issues so that in can be used as an adjustable alternative to the in-game stereo or will it disable external stereo for this game completely?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Avatar works splendid on the projectorrig and everything is almost as perfect as it can get (visually). I have some trouble aiming though.. :lol:
It looks great on the iz3d as well but as for other users i'd like to have ingame adjustable stereocontrols. Regradless: I can't deny ubi made a great little gem so far!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

nVidia still hasn't done good on their driver. 1.16 and 1.17 won't detect CRTs and DLPs and these are the versions that have a profile for Avatar. Nice work nVidia...sheesh. :roll:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

How do you beat the hammerhead? That thing is impossible.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I can only speak for the demo. Just climb on a branch, and shoot away!

Regards,
Neil
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

Shoot it in the ass. Super easy, really. :P

...Not that I can play that part yet in the full game due to nVidia FAIL. But, from the demo that's what I did.

Return to “MTBS Game Review User Remarks”