Convergence Nvidia stereo drivers with Zalman

Post your recommended stereoscopic 3D separation/convergence settings along with game performance recommendations.
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Convergence Nvidia stereo drivers with Zalman

Post by longerlife »

Hi there I am new to 3D gaming this week!

I bought the Zalman screen (since I have the 8800 series graphics cards in SLI and Vista it seemed like the way to go) and am running the Nvidia stereo beta drivers from this site.

The stereo works great and I love the extra dimension I get to gaming, but I can't seem to alter the convergance, (adjusting depth is fine), the CTRL F5/6 combo does not work (tried changing the hot keys and that doesn't work either), also the frustrum adjustment does not work either...

Anyone else had the problem and if so did they come up with a solution ??

Thanks in advance for any help or insights you might be able to offer....
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Convergence Nvidia stereo drivers with Zalman

Post by Neil »

I occasionally get the same problem as you.

Try ALT-TABBING in and out of the game. Sometimes exiting and re-entering the game helps.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sometimes it appears the convergence isn't working but it actually is. Try holding down F6 for like 10-15 seconds or so and see if there is a change.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Also if you are using 64bit OS there is no way for altering it without editing the registy (direct or with Dragons tool)
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

I can't even get it to work in the Nvidia test application! I am running 32bit Vista...

(PS Does it display on screen text like the depth does ??)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

longerlife wrote:(PS Does it display on screen text like the depth does ??)
No. There is no on-screen indication that its working like with depth.
longerlife
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by longerlife »

Just as an update I eventually got it working by making a secondary (non 3d monitor) my primary, and running the test app as analgraph, this allowed me to change the convergance and all the other elements previously missing. When I switched back to the Zalman monitor as the primary and ran the test app again everything was working and also worked in games too!! Hope this helps any others that come across this problem...

(EDIT - as a side note I discovered I could run analgraph 3D across three monitors using a Matrox Triple Head monitor expander, it is extremely fun to have 3d surround vision across a metre of monitors, even if it is only red/blue)
muu5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by muu5 »

cybereality wrote:Sometimes it appears the convergence isn't working but it actually is. Try holding down F6 for like 10-15 seconds or so and see if there is a change.
I've experienced this also. Like a huge lag on the convergence hotkeys, even when holding down the keys it doesn't seem to respond until some seconds later, but after it "kicks in" it becomes responsive in both directions. Very odd, do we know what the cause is?
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I think that is because is a non-linear setting. There is a huge interval in which the changes are so small that can't be noticed, until you reach the zone at which it's very sensitive.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
muu5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by muu5 »

crim3 wrote:I think that is because is a non-linear setting. There is a huge interval in which the changes are so small that can't be noticed, until you reach the zone at which it's very sensitive.
Makes perfect sense considering the behavior.

It would be great if Nvidia drivers showed an OSD type bar for Convergence the way it does for Depth settings. At least you'd know your hotkey presses are registering right away and you could also see an approximate setting value on screen.
muu5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by muu5 »

I suspect Nvidia wants to make the technology seem less complicated so it underplays certain settings like Convergence and Sync to make it seem like all you have to do is roll the Depth scrollwheel on the Nvidia IR emitter to dial in your 3D settings.

I think Nvidia should take a more transparent approach and make all adjustments available to the user. Almost everyone who buys into Nvidia 3D vision at this point knows they are still early adopters of 3D. Just give us proper access to the adjustments and the users will certainly reward you with immeasurable word of mouth and viral style recommendations.

There is really no reason to block your users from using a Sync setting that was previously available on older drivers, there is also no reason to omit every setting but the primary Depth setting from showing on the OSD.

Return to “S-3D Game Settings (NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision)”