No double vision...but more questions :)

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
psychokilla
One Eyed Hopeful

No double vision...but more questions :)

Post by psychokilla »

I've received my Zalman 19" 3D monitor, I'm using the Nvidia stereo drivers with the video card I have now (Nvidia 8800GT) but I'm not sure what I'm doing, I installed the Zalman registry fix after the Nvidia drivers so I presume I've finished the setup, I press the ctrl+T in the game but all I get is double vision at distance.

From what I've read I should make anything close up into one image, i.e. move the views so they meet.

Anything at distance just appears to be double vision.

I had already used the Anaglyph glasses with the Nvidia drivers before and, to be honest, the effect was much more convincing.

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by psychokilla on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: I'm just gettin double vision

Post by cybereality »

This may sound really dumb but you are wearing the glasses, right? Also, in order to see the 3D effect you must be running at native resolution (which is 1280 x 1024 in your case). If the game does not support that resolution (hard to believe...) then you need to set "scaling" off in the nvidia panel. If you are still getting the "double vision" make sure you are using reasonable 3D settings. You want to set depth to like 10% to start with (using control-F3/F4) and then adjust the convergence (control-F5/F6) so that foreground objects are in focus. If you take the glasses off then objects in the far distance should be doubled, but it should look fine with the glasses on. Also make sure you have the monitor adjusted properly. It should be right in the center of your vision about 18 inches from your face. Hope that helps.
psychokilla
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by psychokilla »

Yeah I was wearing the glasses :shutter , although I'm short sighted and wear correctional glasses, so I was wearing them underneath the polarized glasses, not sure if that affects it.

I'll give your short guide a go, thanks for the reply. I had actually turned on Nvidia scaling as some old games (Worms) were just showing in the centre of the screen.
psychokilla
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by psychokilla »

OK, Thanks again to you, I found out what was wrong, I was sitting too far away (not miles away but further than 2 feet). A couple more questions...

1] Can I adjust the values so I can sit a little further back as it just seems like I'm too close to the monitor?

2] The viewing angle of the glasses seems to be a little constrictive, can anyone recommend a better (more forgiving of the angles) set of glasses than the pairs (glasses and clip-on lenses) I got with the Zalman 19" monitor?

3] I played Left4Dead and in 3D it was f***in amazing, can anyone recommend any other (recent) games which work particularly well with this monitor?

4] Are 1 and 2 dependent on the smaller size of this monitor, is that why 3D cinema screens work well because of the very large viewing area?

5] Any more advice? :)
cybereality

Re: No double vision...but more questions :)

Post by cybereality »

Unfortunately the polarizing properties are a physical part of the monitor (actually a micro-polarizing film attached to the LCD) so other glasses will not change anything. The Zalman glasses are the best ones to use as they are specially designed for the monitor. So in terms of viewing angles, ghosting, etc. what you see is what you get. I have not tried the 19" model, but with the 22" model I can sit a comfortable, normal distance from the monitor and see the 3D effect just fine (and I wear prescription glasses). As an added bonus, the closer you sit the bigger the monitor appears (lol!). Like I said before, to play older games that don't support the native resolution you need to have scaling off or there is no 3D effect. This means that there will be a black border around the game, there is no avoiding it. Pretty much any game released in the past 5 years will support 12x10 res though. FEAR2 works really nice with the monitor if you are into FPS horror games. 3D Cinema is a totally different technology altogether (even though they both use polarized glasses). So its not really fair to compare a $200 monitor to a $10,000 professional setup. Other thoughts: give it some time and I think you will get used to the viewing angles and other quirks of the monitor. It seems pretty bad at first but once you figure out how it works its pretty easy to set it up and not have problems.
psychokilla
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by psychokilla »

OK, Thanks again, looks like I'll be getting a VERY adjustable monitor stand then cos this stand just won't cut it :(
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

psychokilla wrote:OK, Thanks again, looks like I'll be getting a VERY adjustable monitor stand then cos this stand just won't cut it :(
Ah, ok. I see. The 22" stand is one of the most adjustable I have ever used (it can go up and down within a foot, tilt, turn, swivel 90 degrees into portrait, etc.). So that makes it very easy to adjust to the perfect spot. If you are looking for an LCD arm, check this one (I am going to get a few of these):
http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/71/ctl/Pr ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”