Street Fighter 4 Benchmark (3D Screenshots) NV vs IZ3D

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Street Fighter 4 Benchmark (3D Screenshots) NV vs IZ3D

Post by cybereality »

Next up I have benchmarked Street Fighter 4 using both the Nvidia drivers (190.62) and IZ3D drivers (1.10RC2a). Test system was using an EVGA 780i, Intel C2D 3.0Ghz, EVGA 8800 GTS 512MB, 4GB OCZ DDR2-800, Vista 32-bit with a Zalman Trimon 22" @ 1680 x 1050. Game settings were set to the following:

FPS Display: On
Antialiasing: None
Full Screen: On
Display Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Display Refresh Rate: 60
Display V-synch: Off
Frame Rate: Variable
Aspect Correction: Auto
Brightness: Default
Parallel Rendering: On
Texture Filter: 16x
Model Quality: High
Background Quality: High
Soft Shadow: High
Self Shadow: High
Motion Blur: High
Particles: High
Extra Touch: Off

This time around I attempted to get identical screenshots with both solutions for a direct comparison. Check the captures below:

Nvidia:
SF4_NV_01.jpg
IZ3D:
SF4_IZ_01.jpg
Nvidia:
SF4_NV_02.jpg
IZ3D:
SF4_IZ_02.jpg
Nvidia:
SF4_NV_03.jpg
IZ3D:
SF4_IZ_03.jpg
Nvidia:
SF4_NV_04.jpg
IZ3D:
SF4_IZ_04.jpg
Nvidia:
SF4_NV_05.jpg
IZ3D:
SF4_IZ_05.jpg
Subjectively I thought both drivers performed nicely on this benchmark and framerates seemed more than playable. In terms of the stereo 3D render I think both drivers are very good as well. As you can see in the screenshots above there is very good depth on this game and minimal issues. I will have to comment that on the IZ3D driver there were some anomalies with the shadow rendering at different positions for each eye. The Nvidia solution was not perfect, but was free from any obvious glitches like this. Otherwise both solutions were about on par in terms of depth. Keep in mind that I did not adjust the 3D settings at all. These shots are taken with the driver's default profile, so it is certainly possible to attain greater stereo effects with tweaking. Anyhow, I am really liking the look of this game in 3D and I think I will be picking up the full version as soon as I get a chance. I have seen it online for around $35. Read on for the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cybereality on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Re: Street Fighter 4 Benchmark (3D Screenshots) NV vs IZ3D

Post by cybereality »

Here are the results of the benchmark:

Nvidia 190.62 (64.76 FPS):
SF4_NV_00.jpg
IZ3D 1.10RC2a (51.48 FPS):
SF4_IZ_00.jpg
2D (131.30 FPS):
SF4_2D_01.jpg
As you can see the Nvidia driver had the clear advantage in terms of performance, with an almost 30% gain. Since the Zalman is locked at a 60Hz refresh, the Nvidia driver basically gave full-speed performance at the highest graphical settings possible on the benchmark (barring AA). The IZ3D driver did do respectable and with a slight overclock on my CPU and GPU I think I could certainly reach 60FPS given the same hardware. However both pale in comparison to the baseline 2D test which resulted in a a whopping 131 FPS, more than double what either 3D driver could muster. Of course, in stereo 3D there must be two views rendered, so it makes sense that performance is halved. This is not meant to be a jab at either driver developers as I am sure they are doing their best. But it is interesting when you are looking at the raw numbers. That said, even with only an 8800GTS this game would be more than playable and pretty smooth with either driver and the same is supported pretty well, so I am happy with the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AWoods
SD&A Co-Chair

Post by AWoods »

Well done! Nice work again Cybereality!
I notice on some of the NVIDIA screenshots the main subject is too close and breaking the screen (e.g. the first screenshot). Do the latest NVIDIA drivers offer auto-convergence? or do you need to set the convergence manually?
Also, with some of the IZ3D screenshots, the shadows seem different between each eye - image 5 seems to be the worst affected. Is this typical?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

AWoods wrote:Well done! Nice work again Cybereality!
I notice on some of the NVIDIA screenshots the main subject is too close and breaking the screen (e.g. the first screenshot). Do the latest NVIDIA drivers offer auto-convergence? or do you need to set the convergence manually?
Also, with some of the IZ3D screenshots, the shadows seem different between each eye - image 5 seems to be the worst affected. Is this typical?
There is no auto-convergence, these shots are just with the default profile. I could have fixed it, but I was interested to see how they staked up without any advanced tweaking. I am sure I could have gotten much better depth with manual tweaking, but I found that both solutions actually had decent defaults in this situation. Keep in mind that I went for some dramatic close-up shots. In regular gameplay the characters as set deep in the screen and you don't have those issues.

Yes, there were some shadowing issues with the IZ3D driver. This was not apparent on all the levels, but specifically on the last level it was a glaring issue. With Nvidia if you look on that last shot you will see there is no shadow. So it is not correct on Nvidia either. However I would much rather have no shadow altogether than have the shadow in one eye only which is very distracting.
burleybrawler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by burleybrawler »

wow, Thanks for the benchmark, I was wondering how this was with SF4, looking forward to it once I get some new hardware :shutter

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”