Has anyone tried to increase the FOV of an HMD?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Has anyone tried to increase the FOV of an HMD?

Post by DevilMaster »

I found this page where the author explains how he increased the FOV of his VFX3D HMD. Has anyone ever tried to do something similar with another HMD?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Has anyone tried to increase the FOV of an HMD?

Post by cybereality »

Interesting. Maybe I should try hacking my VR920, its just sitting in a box...
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I have tried placing a few different lenses over my Headplay and Argo lenses but only ended up out of focuc. I think you must remove the existing optics first which will most likely result in damaging something. I might have a go with my Argo and a jewelers loop one day.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I bought some pocket-sized fresnel lenses once to try to mod the VR920 but it didn't work out. I wasn't ready to take the unit apart, I was just thinking I might be able to augment the existing optics. It didn't work at all. Besides making the image totally blurry it wasn't even much bigger since it didn't have the necessary throw distance. They were cheap fresnels anyway so I wasn't expecting much. But I did at least try.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Of course you will need to remove the optics to improve them!

They are only Kopin displays in the VR920, hard to damage them if you know what you are doing. I am gonna try this with the iglasses martin is giving me. :P

Return to “Do it Yourself!”