See Sony's 3D Bravia TV 2010 Promo Video PS3 Support Planned

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

See Sony's 3D Bravia TV 2010 Promo Video PS3 Support Planned

Post by Silversurfer »

The two minutes promo video with a link to the official press release at the end can be seen here:- http://gizmodo.com/5351543/sony-gets-3d ... rt-planned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: See Sony's 3D Bravia TV 2010 Promo Video PS3 Support Planned

Post by Jadentheman »

Cool been waiting for that 3D PS3. All I need now is Backwards compatability and I'm sold
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

I wonder how they'd implement S3D for PS3, if their Bravia TV will be "full 1080p for each eye", and the PS3's HDMI 1.3 connection cannot provide that bandwidth.
yeeter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yeeter »

So do we know for sure that this is 120 Hz field sequential content planned (60 frames left/60 frames right per second)? That does seem like quite a bit of bandwidth. Is this any different than the Nvidia 3DVision glasses paired with a 120 Hz tv? Or is the news more geared towards the intent of Sony to provide content via Blu-ray?

PS. I really can't stand the 3D hate in the comments on sites like engadget. If you read this, go make a positive comment on the engadget thread.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/vide ... g-in-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Jadentheman wrote:Cool been waiting for that 3D PS3. All I need now is Backwards compatability and I'm sold
Impossible, the games are designed very carefully to run at decent frame rates, the second S3D is added into the mix your performance will be un-satisfactory. At least for all the games allready out, I'm sure future games will work well in S3D though.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is what I have been waiting for. Now I am certain, 3D is really going to take off.

See this thread to understand why Sony is the only company capable of making this happen:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 79&p=28820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@Engadget comments: I have just come to the conclusion that a good 95% of the world are bumbling idiots and will just hate on whatever they don't understand. Pay no attention to their "opinions". Once 3D takes off these will be the same people jumping on the bandwagon faster than a bum can take a hit of crack.
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

about the promo video and pictures

am I the only one worried that thinks the way how they advertise the 3d effect is misleading and will dissapoint customers ?

I mean they make it seem that there are pop out effects that form see-thrue holograms in front of the screen and directly in the living room. Using pop out to advertise is bad enough but these images they show are just wrong.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

craylon wrote:am I the only one worried that thinks the way how they advertise the 3d effect is misleading and will dissapoint customers ?
Yeah, like the "real-time" footage they showed of the PS3 back in the day. That went over well...
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

yeeter wrote:So do we know for sure that this is 120 Hz field sequential content planned (60 frames left/60 frames right per second)? That does seem like quite a bit of bandwidth.
The official press release explicitly states they use a full-frame HD progressive signal for each eye.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200909/09-099E/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/deta ... aseID=4750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this any different than the Nvidia 3DVision glasses paired with a 120 Hz tv? Or is the news more geared towards the intent of Sony to provide content via Blu-ray?
Yes, this is different because current 120 Hz TV sets (DLPs from Mitsubishi and Samsung and plasmas from Samsung) feature a checkerboard "quincunx" pattern compression scheme, which combines left and right images into one single full-resolution frame transmitted over 60Hz progressive link, giving you 60 Hz per each eye but at a loss of some spatial resolution.

I'd expect Playstation 3 games to use this "compression" scheme for shutter glasses support, just like they do this in the Invincible Tiger, as PS3 comes with a single-link HGMI 1.3 port and Sony has long stated that every PS3 on the market will be able to run stereoscopic titles.

http://www.blitzgamesstudios.com/invincibletigersupport/
ssiu wrote:I wonder how they'd implement S3D for PS3, if their Bravia TV will be "full 1080p for each eye", and the PS3's HDMI 1.3 connection cannot provide that bandwidth.
As I said before, I would expect that the stereoscopic mode will require a special 'Type B' HDMI connector and cables, which is the dual-link version defined in the standard but not used in actual products until now, as the recent HDMI 1.3 effectively doubles the bandwidth of a single link. This is the only way 120 Hz stereo can be transmitted over HDMI 1.4/1.3 because of bandwidth limitations.

I'd expect them to utilize DisplayPort 1.2 for PC connectivity, since dual-link DVI used for 22" 120 Hz displays will be out of bandwidth as well.

See the tables in Sony Showing Off New 3D Display At SMPTE09.
yeeter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yeeter »

Thanks for dropping the science on us DmitryKo. Good info. Now I am really excited about this news. And I'm holding off any tv purchases for near future... :D
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

DmitryKo wrote: ...
The official press release explicitly states they use a full-frame HD progressive signal for each eye.
I'd expect Playstation 3 games to use this [checkerboard "quincunx" pattern] "compression" scheme for shutter glasses support, just like they do this in the Invincible Tiger, as PS3 comes with a single-link HDMI 1.3 port and Sony has long stated that every PS3 on the market will be able to run stereoscopic titles.
In other words, you expect the Sony Bravia 3D HDTVs to support multiple S3D input schemes, including 120Hz (full 60Hz 1080p per eye), plus some "half-bandwidth" scheme (DLP checkerboard or row interleave or whatever) that the PS3 can support. Makes sense to me and I hope that is the case. (But they cannot say that the PS3 support "full 1080p HD per eye".)

Now I just hope that the companies will not be too greedy with the "3D premium" they charge. The existing 3D TVs (DLP, and Samsung plasmas) don't cost any more than their 2D counterparts. Many existing LCD HDTVs already have fast panels (120Hz; some are 240Hz), and plasma panels are inherently >= 120Hz. So it is only the electronics that need to be upgraded to deal with 120Hz input signals.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ssiu wrote:In other words, you expect the Sony Bravia 3D HDTVs to support multiple S3D input schemes, including 120Hz (full 60Hz 1080p per eye), plus some "half-bandwidth" scheme (DLP checkerboard or row interleave or whatever) that the PS3 can support.
Yes, exactly. Hopefully this time Sony will not behave as it used to, making life of its loyal customers uncessarily cumbersome for some obscure reason (eemember the time when their portal players only supported proprietary ATRAC and required a severely limited DRM software to perform even the most simple functions... or when they managed to ship a DRM rootkit with every music CD, which installed without any authorisation and which they couldn't even design properly, so it broke loose...)

Many existing LCD HDTVs already have fast panels (120Hz; some are 240Hz), and plasma panels are inherently >= 120Hz. So it is only the electronics that need to be upgraded to deal with 120Hz input signals.
"Only electronics" means considerably different pixel driving schemes which can orient crystals faster with better precision, and probably improved liquid crystal material as well.

Still, I'm skeptical these 240 Hz monitors feature any of the above. Whatever internal digital processing feature this "240 Hz" figure represents, it's probaly just an interpolator that can make 24 Hz material look somewhat more natural (but blurry) on a 60p screeen.

Now I just hope that the companies will not be too greedy with the "3D premium" they charge. The existing 3D TVs (DLP, and Samsung plasmas) don't cost any more than their 2D counterparts.
Plasma, DLP and LCD monitors use very different physics behind them. The first two employ pulse-width modulation to control the brightness of pixels, which have very low reaction time by design. LCD monitors employ rotation of clrystalline particlees with magnetic field and have long been prone to very slow pixel reaction times, in excess of 100ms for earlier models. Even current so-called 2ms screens still featuire maximum reaction time of several dozen milliseconds.

Samsung 120Hz LCD monitor costs 2 times as much as similar 22" monitors. Also, 200/240 Hz TV sets costs twice as much as their regular 60 Hz counterparts. I'd expect a 3D-capable TV to be a top model in the range and have a similar substantial price premium, at least for the initial series and a few following generations.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”