Harry Potter in 3D at iMax - Why 2D->3D should be outlawed!

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Harry Potter in 3D at iMax - Why 2D->3D should be outlawed!

Post by android78 »

On the weekend I went and saw the new Harry Potter at IMax. I decided to go to IMax to see it because I had heard that there was 30 mins of s3D! WOW!!!
So, after arriving an hour before the movie started (as I do when there is no allocated seating... why does IMax not do allocated seating! GRRRR) we finally get let into the cinema with polarized glasses in hand. I was stupidly excited by the idea of seeing this in s3D, I guess because the previous movie had quite an impressive visual style in 2D and thought it would translate well in s3D.
So, we get a single preview which was for 'Christmas Carrol' in amazing s3D. WOW!!! that looks so good, I think I may go and see it. Then the feature movie starts and you see some great s3D text coming flying at you. The text is done really well and it feels like you are flying through the letters BUT... the non animated stuff starts to be shown and it looks flat. Trying to stay positive, I figure they are trying to start off fairly flat so the audience can let their eyes adjust to the effect. But as you see more and more, I start to notice strange artifacts. :? Things like harry's eyes. Behind the glasses, it looks like his eyes are flat images that have been stuck to his glasses! eeep! quite off putting. Also, it appears that whenever there was semi-transparent surface through which you were seeing things, the effect was either wrong (as if the surface was stuck to the character/object you were seeing) or NOT THERE. :cry: One obvious scene saw harry looking through a foggy window... it was FLAT! I know that it would be almost impossible to do this correctly in s3D conversion from 2D but was disappointing all the same. :roll:
On the plus side, there was a sequence that I assume was computer animated flying through streets and this was great! :woot It only lasted for about a minute out of about 30 mins of "Stereo" 3D.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It is quite well done and the story makes sense following on from the previous chapters. The character development is a little obvious and predictable, but that's what I've come to expect from the Harry Potter series. It has an obviously well done visual style similar to the previous adventures in the series.

As for the s3D, i feel let down. The conversion from 2D to 3D has obvious flaws and I felt that it didn't really add anything in this case. I may be overly critical of this, given that I was looking for how well it was done from a technical side, but others who aren't so into the s3D that I went to see it with also said the same thing... they weren't commenting on the technical flaws, but that it just added nothing. I feel that, had it been actually shot in s3D, it could have looked very impressive, but since it was a conversion from 2D, it looked somewhat off so lost any advantage s3D could have.
Unfortunately, I think this will be a setback for s3D since those people who have not yet seen a well done s3D movie will be put off from watching one due to seeing one that is not done so well. :evil: Maybe the preview of Christmas Carol (which was done well 8) ) may make up for it a little though. I just hope that people give up trying to do 2D to 3D conversion... IT DOESN'T WORK! And... I wish they'd pass a law to outlaw this process.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Harry Potter in 3D at iMax - Why 2D->3D should be outlawed!

Post by Jadentheman »

Maybe they should shoot the last two remaining movies in 3d?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Jadentheman wrote:Maybe they should shoot the last two remaining movies in 3d?
Maybe... I really hope they don't do another 2D->3D conversion though.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, when I heard they were doing a the intro and ending in 3D I got excited... then I found out it was a 2D conversion. Pretty lame. Now this is legitimately what I would call a gimmick. They did it just to cash in on the 3D craze. Plus, it was only for 30 minutes. I doubt it added anything to the film. Really, why bother?

Either film the movie in true stereoscopic 3D or don't even try. The only instance where this may be acceptable is with classic movies that they revive and convert to stereo, like Star Wars. But if its a current movie there is no excuse for not filming it in 3D. The technology is here, other films have done it. Anything less is just half-baked.
zoomin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zoomin »

It was gimmicky yes, and flawed. But you have to admit, they kept the usual 3D gimmicks to a minimum, (main characters blatantly pointing things at the audience) to name the worst offender.
Overall while it wasnt perfect I thought some of the shots were actually quite good in 3D and perhaps if the effect was better it would be a good example of what looks good in 3D as opposed to riding the 3D money train.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yeah they should at least inform ppl it is a conversion prior to the movie
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
CMustard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CMustard »

Android

Don't give up on 2D to 3D conversion yet. If you have seen G-Force that was all 2D to 3D conversion (not a single stereo camera on set)! The effect was quite good, with transparencies and everything. The process is intricate, but it can be done."
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

There is a short video showing how they did the 3D conversion:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/08/ ... er-to-3-d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically they had to recreate the entire scene in a 3d modelling package (including the actors) and then use that to recreate the 3d data. Obviously data is missing when only recording with a single camera (such as occluded areas) but for the most part this method will work for adding stereoscopy to a 2D image. Clearly not on the level of a true stereo recording but when we have over 100 years worth of 2D material I don't think we should give up on conversion just yet.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jadentheman »

I saw the movie and to say that it was ok. Some of the scenes were flat but to me minimal. Ghosting was apparent thou and I was disappointed that only 15 minutes of 3D. So misleading they better shot the final movie in 3d or at least convert the whole movie next time
clydd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by clydd »

Ok I finally went and saw both movies that have 2D to 3D conversion, (Harry Potter and G-force) and took some time to write my observations if anyone is interested:
http://www.slideshare.net/clydd/2dto3dconvertedmovies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although supposed to be just an overview and observations, you can skip some pages if it's too boring.

Kind Regards.
manicrabbit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by manicrabbit »

Hi! I also enjoyed the Harry Potter movie but I also agree that some of the scenes seemed flat in IMAX. I hope that they shoot the next couple of films (they will cut the 7th book in two because one movie is not enough) in 3D...
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Interesting input, thank you.

I was thinking about going to see it (For obvious reasons, I watch as many 3D movies as I can ;) )

But I have heard not too good things about it, so Not sure if I'd rather just stick to 2D of it. BUT I imagine the whole movie is made better by the big screen though
clydd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by clydd »

Hi Welder,
No I highly recommend you see the movies. Both are very good movies, and even the conversions are good.
The point of my document is solely to let 2D to 3D conversion companies know that Saying Directors should Shoot 3D movies in 2D and convert later is wrong!

however, these movies were already shot in 2D and converted later.., and as such are very good Conversions.
I will also say that G-force had better conversion.

I highly recommend seeing these two movies as a learning experience also. (as you are interested in all aspects of stereoscopic 3D)

Regards
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Alrighty :)

I'll try to get out and see at least harry potter, unfortunately I kinda hurt my leg again, but once I get that figured out, I'll see it. Thanks :)
clydd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by clydd »

Iv'e had a few emails saying the pdf can't be downloaded by non slide share members. So I've uploaded it here as well

http://www.realvision.ae/2d_to_3d_conversion.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”