Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Post by cybereality »

So I just got back from seeing Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in digital-3D. I thought it was pretty well done. The movie had a nice depth to it, with the characters at screen depth and the background set back a bit. There were very minimal out-of-screen effects, but when they did do it, it was tasteful. The 3D effect wasn't so extreme, if I took the glasses off the image barely looked doubled, but it had a lot more depth than Coraline (which I thought was rather flat). In terms of the actual film, that was OK. All the animation was nicely rendered and the fur shaders were top-notch. The plot was mostly a kids affair, but there were some adult jokes slipped in there occasionally. Mildly entertaining, but still nowhere close to the level of a movie like Bolt or Coraline in terms of the story. Overall not a bad movie, but nothing ground-breaking either.

I couldn't help but think as I watched the film how I would have much rather seen Transformers 2 (if it were in 3D) and the only reason I even bothered with a movie like Ice Age was because of the 3D. I mean, yeah, I'm a sucker for all things 3D so I'll still go for sure. But its annoying that it seems to be only kids movies that get the 3D treatment. I guess its pretty easy to render animation in 3D, rather than filming live-action, but I still wish there were more choices in terms of what gets shown in 3D theaters. I guess its still early and we'll have to wait a bit longer (please, I pray that Avatar is even 50% of what they are making it out to be).

Funny little side-note: I was sitting next to this family and before the movie starts I see them opening the 3D glasses. The mom was instantly impressed when she saw the RealD glasses and was like "Oh, I thought they were going to be paper glasses. These look really good quality. I guess they can afford it since the tickets are like $16 bucks." I was trying not to laugh.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Post by Jadentheman »

Well Final Destination is not far from bein g released :P :shutter

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”