Getting started

rkhsaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Getting started

Post by rkhsaw »

Hi All,
I'm just getting started to set up a 3D stereo shutter glasses system and need help ! No doubt I'm making all the mistakes that many of you have been through in the past.
I got started by seeing and buying some wired ELSA glasses cheap on Ebay (£8) from 3DROM. The nice man in the advert said they work with all Geforce cards so I bought a s/h 9800GT card. Of course, the only driver compatible withe the Nvidia stereo software dosen't seem to be compatible with the 9800 series. So I am now looking at options: 1) buy an older card or 2 ) buy a shutter sync box as sold on ebay by Ultimate3dHeaven.

As I would ultimately like to use a DLP projector for 3D movies, HDTV & occasional games, what options do I have ?
I think the down side of the sync box is the refresh rate ? Anyone any practical experience ?

So for the time being i'm still in anaglyph :( help !
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Getting started

Post by cybereality »

Your best bet (and the cheapest solution) is probably to get an old series 7 geforce card (like the 7900 GTX if you can find it). That will work with the old Nvidia driver under XP. I don't think a shutter sync box will be of any use to you. You would still need a 3d driver to make the actual game into stereo 3d. Unless you just want to watch 3D-DVDs (all 3 of them) with an old CRT tv. You are still probably better off getting the geforce card as you can watch movies on your PC also.

Other options: you can try to use the iz3D driver in interlaced mode and see if you can get your ELSA glasses to go into interlaced mode (may be possible with the E-D activator but probably not). You could also get a cheap pair of E-D glasses or X-Force glasses, which do support interlaced. The iz3d is just as good (or maybe better) than the nvidia driver and supports a ton of modern games. If you want to splurge then you could always get the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses, that Viewsonic projector and Windows Vista. Kinda pricey though. Cheaper options include getting an iz3D monitor or even the Zalman Trimon monitor. Even cheaper, get a good quality pair of anaglyph glasses (if you are using the cheap paper ones, its an upgrade for sure). I don't know, it depends on what you want and how much you have to spend.
rkhsaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rkhsaw »

OK. Thanks for all the info.
Looks like I'll search around for an older card and in the meantime, try out the iz3D driver idea. And you're right, decent anaglyph isn't half bad !
R
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

If it's any help here is my setup.
I bought the Extreme 3D system from underground movies for under $20. With this, you get a PC dongle, 3D driver and software panel (with interlaced, page flip, reverse mode etc) and of course shutter glasses (wired). You can watch 3D DVD movies using freeware software like Stereo Movie Maker and Stereo Movie Viewer in interlaced mode, but to use page flip mode, you need the Nvidia stereo driver to work. Stereoscopic player though, will play in any mode and I use the page/flip method along with my Infocus X1 DLP projector over VGA. It looks stunning. I have seen the Real 3D system (Coraline, Monsters v Aliens etc) and with this setup the quality of the 3D is comparable to the Cinema set up. The only difference is that the Infocus X1 is 800 x 600 native resolution. I picked it up cheap off eBay though and chose it specifically because I knew that it was 3D capable. Apparently some DLP projectors aren't. Good Luck in whichever route you go.

Gae43
rkhsaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rkhsaw »

thanks Gae43, that's really helped !
Do you what what the drivers / software are for the extreme system ? If I can download them, maybe they will work with the Elsa glasses.

I'm still looking for a DLP projector so that will take a bit of time.
Cheers
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

I think you have the option of installing the up to date nVidia drivers from the disc and also their own drivers. They also work with the E-Dimensional panel too.

Well, finally took the plunge and bought the full edition of Stereoscopic Player. It's such a great piece of software for 3D that I just couldn't do without it, especially for page flipping. Interlaced looks horrible on a DLP projector...like looking through stained glass. So it's hello to full length side by side 3D movies and goodbye to 5 minute demo clips.... :mrgreen:

Gae43

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”