Fujifilm's 3D camera to launch in September, around $600

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Fujifilm's 3D camera to launch in September, around $600

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/12/fulj ... er-cost-a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's been a while since we've heard anything about Fujifilm's FinePix Real 3D camera, but as the twin-lensed shooter nears that scheduled September release some more details are spilling out -- including the price, which will be "around $600" at launch. Yeah, it's steep, and that's not all: to properly view the images you'll need to either shell out for special prints with a plastic lenticular lens on it or buy a special stereoscopic LCD photo frame, and none of that really screams "cheap." Honestly, our instinct would be to spend all that scratch on a good DSLR or even something like the Olympus E-P1, but there's always a chance Fujifilm's about to reveal the public's deep-rooted desire for 3D snapshots. We'll see -- anyone dying for one of these?
yeah I concur with engadget for once - the price is steep. I know it's 2 cameras and a new technology, but a "good" cost for this would be 300-350$. What both the article and read link fail to realize is that the target market is actually ppl with existing 3d displays or other 3d viewing solutions. Comments silly as always. I hope the price goes down later so someday I might buy this.. I like how the product looks and actually think this is one of those products that would advance 3d in the home.... did I mention this product looks gorgeous?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Fujifilm's 3D camera to launch in September, around $600

Post by cybereality »

Oh, the final design looks really hot. I want one for sure.

$600 is a bit pricey, but you gotta expect it was going to be at least $400 at launch. I'm sure the price will go down if it sells well.

And the comments are, well, as annoying as usual. Par for the course.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

You can buy 4 HD videocameras for that price.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Freke1 wrote:You can buy 4 HD videocameras for that price.
Yeah, you can also buy two 22" 2D monitors for the price of one IZ3D/Zalman/Samsung(120Hz) monitor. Does that make the 3D product any less valuable?

What Fujifilm has is a one-of-a-kind product with absolutely *no* competition (except for maybe some vintage style 3D film cameras). Let them gouge on the price. They deserve it for being a pioneer in the market. You know what, I will even be willing to pay the full $600 retail price. Not because its a good deal, but because I want to support the industry and pay for the R&D and all that went into this camera. If the die-hard stereo3d community is not willing to put their money up to support products like this, then it will fail. And if it fails I doubt any other companies (Sony, Canon, etc.) are going to bother making 3D cameras of their own. So go ahead, follow the herd and complain about the price. Just don't complain when stereo3d has another false start.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I can see You point, all I'm saying is prices are dropping fast fortunately:
Full HD (1920*1080) Samsung camcorder: 200$
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/14/sams ... e-uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yeah atm it's overpriced- though I seriously consider I might buy this in a few years when the price becomes reasonable and I've had the chance to save some $$. once in the 300$ range no one will be able to argue against this thing :mrgreen:
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”