Averting another format war, this time in 3D TV

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Averting another format war, this time in 3D TV

Post by cybereality »

With virtually every major TV manufacturer now eyeing the release of 3D HDTVs, almost 200 companies in the global entertainment and consumer electronics industries are now working on uniting behind a common set of technology standards for consumer viewing of movies and other 3D content on home TVs.

Their hope is to avoid a repeat of the ugly HD video disc format war, which left Toshiba badly bruised and HD DVD a distant memory.
http://www.betanews.com/article/Avertin ... 1245086927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really hope they can sort out all these standards and give us some real 3D blu-rays sometime this decade.

Also I found this interesting:
A recent survey by analyst firm the NPD Group showed that 17% of consumers already want to be able to watch 3D theatrical films in "advanced 3D" on their home TVs.
Anyone have more info on the NPD survey? 17% ain't a bad number.

EDIT: Well I found this, but it doesn't really say much more:
http://www.videobusiness.com/index.asp? ... =CA6663794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Averting another format war, this time in 3D TV

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

We all-ready have a 3D Format. Its called Any codec, on any medium and can even be watched in Cross-eyed if the playing software isn't 3D Compatable.

17%, thats a good start. But that brings me to ask another question, will people be disappointed with Home S3D thanks to the cinema's? The difference between a 22-40" screen and a Cinema affects S3D alot when it comes to Pop-out. My PJ blows me away for Pop-out, my 22" just doesn't compare.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Averting another format war, this time in 3D TV

Post by Likay »

True. But that's the extra immersion given by a big screen. If you compare a 22"er 2d with 22" 3d i'd say 3d is a lot better even on a 22'er. Like looking on real world in tiny 3d.
A bigger screen gives the feeling of being taken right into another world and of course that cannot be beaten.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”