3D movies to double data storage requirements

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

3D movies to double data storage requirements

Post by cybereality »

DreamWorks Animation SKG is releasing all of its films in stereoscopic 3D, more than doubling the amount of data storage capacity required to store its movies.

The move to 3D animation also requires the company's IT shop to migrate away from tape-based storage systems to disk systems in order to keep archived films online for animators to use as references for future sequels, which is the company's mainstay.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... ws_ts_head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: 3D movies to double data storage requirements

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Wow, I really didn't see that... I mean I thought Stereo 3D videos could be stored using only half the amount of data than 2D.... Image :lol:
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

whatt?? newer video formats higher in filesize????? **moves back to 320*240 .avi files***
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

What? are all filmes now 3-4 houres long?
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Maybe my sarcastic reply wasn't suited. While generally most people expect a new format to take more space (Usually allways the way with Mainstream Formats -DVD to BluRay-) some people expect new formats to take less space (Non-mainstream formats usually take less space for same resolution as a previous format -MPEG2 to MPEG4-) so maybe they had to clarify that even though to us it was stupid as we all know Stereo = Twice the amount of frames.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

I'll bet the visual effects people are tearing their hair out, either that or rubbing their hands together and saying "job security!"
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I know, its a no-brainer. Who woulda thought? Interesting article though.
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

The studios are either storing and distributing uncompressed video, or use a video compresssion scheme that doesn't feature inter-frame compression.

A consumer format will most likely usie MVC (Mult iView Coding) and SVC (Scalable Video Coding) extensions to the MPEG 4 AVC/H.264 standard, so the end users consumers will typically get about 50% to 70% bigger file. Newer versions of encoding standards such as MPEG 4 HVC (High-Performance Video Coding) and H.265 will be able to provide even better compression efficiency for no additional computational cost.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”