ps3 3d

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
herukuti
One Eyed Hopeful

ps3 3d

Post by herukuti »

is it possible for the ps3 to have s3d with 30fps per eye at 60 hz ?
herukuti
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: ps3 3d

Post by herukuti »

if so what type of data and information besides firmware support would be needed? would it be polar glasses or shutter glasses and if not would it be anaglyph type? i ask because e3 is around the corner and have heard speculation that a firmware update incorporating 3d will be released. i would like for it to be compatible with 60hz monitors thus the prior question of 30fps per eye at 60hz. thanks.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

herukuti wrote:if so what type of data and information besides firmware support would be needed? would it be polar glasses or shutter glasses and if not would it be anaglyph type? i ask because e3 is around the corner and have heard speculation that a firmware update incorporating 3d will be released. i would like for it to be compatible with 60hz monitors thus the prior question of 30fps per eye at 60hz. thanks.
It's theoretical of course, since there is no official patch, but the issue is simple. The PS3 is just like a PC in some ways: some general computing (Intel/AMD in your PC, Cell in the PS3) and some graphics processing (NVIDIA in the PS3). The similarity does not end there. Essentially the platform can do just about anything you want, provided you stay in the pixel/cycle budget. So time sequential stereo is possible, but not at 1080p. And line interleaved is possible also. It's 'just' software and picture quality control to accomodate the extra cycle budget needed.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Found this. :D
It's said to use x-pol technology which leaves me a little confused. X-pol is polarized interlaced tech which should mean the you need a special x-pol monitor/tv to view this properly. Or is it some kind of polarizermask to put on your tv-set? There's a huge number of sizes for tv/monitor screens and each size should need it's own micropolarizer film.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Possible, yes. Probable, no.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Future games maybe, but unless you can double the power of the PS3's GPU there is no chance for the games all-ready released.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

herukuti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by herukuti »

so disregarding format and method of viewing ; is it possible for a 3d image to be displayed from a source with 30 fps per eye on a refresh rate of 60 hertz?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, they already did this at last CES with WipeoutHD and some other games:
http://www.gamecyte.com/sony-prototypes ... ps3-gaming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The technology is totally there in theory its just about when they wish to bring this to the market.
herukuti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by herukuti »

i just hope its compatible with 60hz screens; thus the questing.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

herukuti wrote:i just hope its compatible with 60hz screens; thus the questing.
Its not compatible with any existing screens on the market, at least the prototype I was talking about. It was a special polarized screen similar to the Zalman Trimon. Regular LCD/Plasma screens will not work with shutter glasses if that is what you are getting at. Not on the PC or the PS3. If Sony ever makes this happen you will have to purchase a new TV set if you want to play.
herukuti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by herukuti »

so is 60fps a 120hz moniter necessary?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

herukuti wrote:so is 60fps a 120hz moniter necessary?
I think you are confusing things. There are more issues to deal with then just the refresh rate of the display. For example, old CRT TVs were able to display page-flipped stereo3d perfectly fine and they only refreshed at 60Hz. Similarly, there are 3D-Ready HDTVs available today that work via checkboard and they are only 60Hz. In the same fashion there are passive displays like the Zalman Trimon or IZ3D and they are also only 60Hz. However if you are talking about the Nvidia 3D Vision, then that only works on 120Hz displays, and only specific models at that. To confuse matters even further there are a number of so-called "120Hz" HDTVs that are actually interpolated 120Hz and can really only accept a 60Hz signal making them useless for stereo3d. Whatever the case may be nothing is going to work with your standard tv so at some point you will have to purchase a new screen.

Return to “3D Console Gaming”