Truly amazing! viewsonic releases next month a 3d projector!

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Truly amazing! viewsonic releases next month a 3d projector!

Post by smoothy »

ViewSonic PJD6220-3D projector It's a DLP checkerboard type projector for active shutter glasses. It's a true 120hz capable projector. It will be stamped nvidia 3d ready. It's 1024x768 native. 5000:1 contrast. able to except pc input of 1400x1050 and video input of 1080i which is downscaled to it's native resolution. It's able to create a 25ft diagonal image and check this out the suggested retail price is $1500 some previews are quoting $1300. Now if only in 6 months it becomes $1000 and nvidia glasses have a significant reduction that would be seriously amazing.

I heard that also viewsonic have a 1080i 3d projector up their sleeve.

I heard that the nvidia glasses work with any texas instruments DLP light chip projectors which is what this viewsonic one is.

I would buy this straight away if it could work with the new PS3 3d tech if it comes out. I just hope that sony do reveal what kind of display you would need as I don't like the idea of upgrading again if it's not compatible. I may wait a while and the price will drop a bit.

Do you know if polarized glasses would work on this viewsonic projector? I guess you cannot do polarized on a single DLP projector right?
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Truly amazing! viewsonic releases next month a 3d projector!

Post by smoothy »

Also something else I would like to know

I had a demonstration once of the 800x600 3d projector from lightspeed it used active shutter glasses and could beam to a wall or standard screen without needing a silver screen. The effect had a lot of depth but the pop out of screen effect was small. I was told to stand about 9-12 feet away and the image only seemed to come out of the wall at about 1.5-2feet. Then I sat down for a passive showing of two LCD 1400x1050 projectors with lens filters and a silver screen. Then they gave me circular polarized glasses and then I was blown away as there was so much depth. I was seated about 9 feet from the silver screen. But the image flew right out and hovered in front of me for a few seconds I brought my hand up and could touch the 3d visuals and then they shot back into the screen again it was amazing. I wonder if this new viewsonic even though it's a single projector in an active setup could it do the same thing as the passive setup and have that same visuals?
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

Whether you get pop-out depends on convergence settings, not the viewing method. I have a DLP projector that works at true 85Hz which is fine with active shutter glasses, no flickering unlike CRT. I use it with the old nvidia drivers btw, and I'm hoping the new glasses+driver will work on this projector (Sharp XR-10X) as well. The nvidia glasses compatibility list does list all 100 Hz CRT's and a screenshot inside the documentation shows refresh rates lower than 100Hz, so I'm pretty hopeful it will work. (There might just be a little problem with eyes being inverted because of a 1 frame delay, but there are various ways to fix it, if the software itself doesn't offer the option)

Now with my projector I do get pop-out as long as I use the correct convergence settings for it, which takes a little tweaking but isn't hard to do.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

My big question, that perhaps Neil can get answered at the show, is will that Viewsonic projector only do 3d with checkerboard (and thus lose resolution) or will it also handle 1024X768 at 120hz using normal page flipping?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

1024x768. Checkerboard. $1500US

Ultimate Fail lol.

The only thing it has is 120hz.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

Xerion wrote:Whether you get pop-out depends on convergence settings, not the viewing method. I have a DLP projector that works at true 85Hz which is fine with active shutter glasses, no flickering unlike CRT. I use it with the old nvidia drivers btw, and I'm hoping the new glasses+driver will work on this projector (Sharp XR-10X) as well. The nvidia glasses compatibility list does list all 100 Hz CRT's and a screenshot inside the documentation shows refresh rates lower than 100Hz, so I'm pretty hopeful it will work. (There might just be a little problem with eyes being inverted because of a 1 frame delay, but there are various ways to fix it, if the software itself doesn't offer the option)

Now with my projector I do get pop-out as long as I use the correct convergence settings for it, which takes a little tweaking but isn't hard to do.
Many thanks for your reply

How far do you sit from your screen? are you projecting to a white wall or screen? have you been able to get the pop out come right out at you infront of your eyes or is it at quite a distance away from you?

Many thanks in advance
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

Okta wrote:1024x768. Checkerboard. $1500US

Ultimate Fail lol.

The only thing it has is 120hz.
rofl...truly fail.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

why is that a fail?

I heard other people on other threads some made by me and others that checkerboard 3d is actually very good!

Please post your opinion instead of just saying fail?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Because for years you have been able to buy dlp projectors with full 1024x768 res at 85hz, and now you could pick up a senond hand one for a few hundred. Its almost a slap in the face how far forward 3d is NOT going.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Jadentheman

Post by Jadentheman »

Where is the full 1920x1080?
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Hmm, yeah, useless for many if not full resolution.
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

Post by VadersApp »

As for Samsung Full HD TV with S3D Checkerboard i can say that i can´t realy see a difference in resolution to my 1980x1200 tft in mono. But both are full HD and not 1024x768. For me its the best S3D solution since i bought the revelator 10 years ago. :)
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

smoothy wrote:why is that a fail?

I heard other people on other threads some made by me and others that checkerboard 3d is actually very good!

Please post your opinion instead of just saying fail?
I have a 42inch Plasma that does 1024X768 and does 3d using checkerboard. I sit about 4 -5 feet away. Text is very hard to read and objects look blocky due to the checkerboard pattern showing you just half the resolution.

Those that find checkerboard passable are most likely using the DLP TVs that do checkerboard 3d but at a 1920X1080 resolution.

This sounds like "fail" to me to have a checkerboard 1024X768 projector. I can't imagine how annoying hard to read text and blocky stuff will look better life size projected on your wall.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

VadersApp wrote:As for Samsung Full HD TV with S3D Checkerboard i can say that i can´t realy see a difference in resolution to my 1980x1200 tft in mono. But both are full HD and not 1024x768. For me its the best S3D solution since i bought the revelator 10 years ago. :)
I bought the Elsa Revelator shutter glasses about 10 years ago as well. Do you know if they are compatible with LCD projectors?
bastian74
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bastian74 »

The biggest killer for me and 3d first person shooters are the checkerboard and the crosshairs.
The checkerboard makes it too hard to identify people at a distance when they're only a few pixels big. In a FPS every pixel counts! If I can't tell the difference between freidnly/foe I'm hosed. I guess it would be ok for close quarter combat.

The second problem is the crosshairs. The game would need to put the crosshairs at the distance of what ever object you see in the center of the screen, dynamically. So the crosshair is close for near objects and far for distant objects. Otherwise your stuck centering on the right/left camera and winking to snipe. Really anoying.

BTW, I know IZ3D has a laser pointer mode that sets the crosshairs way out, is there any way to change it? It's really large and obnoxious.

I'm also wondering if some servers will kick you when your punk buster screen shot comes back with some 3rd party crosshair.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

It's not the Crosshair that would kick you out of Punkbuster, it's the method that S-3D is created. In this case, their hooking technology is not recognized by Punkbuster as safe (fools!)! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - depends on the game.

Instead of using the iZ3D dynamic crosshair, do this:

In your profile settings, choose "left shift" or "right shift" for separation mode instead of "Symmetrical". More likely than not, "left shift" is the best choice for you.

What will happen is the cross-hair will be accurate for your dominant eye, and you won't need any extra laser sights. Try it, you will see.

Regards,
Neil
Tofu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tofu »

A single panel DLP projector displays image in a sequential manner. Due to this nature, 1-panel DLP projector is best suited for sequential stereoscopic (Left and right eye frame images are overlapping in sequential manner). Technically speaking, any sequential display can do stereoscopic. However, the key issue is the ability to deliver a smooth, ghost-free and flicker-free stereoscopic image. This requires a fast response display that can deliver a clean 120 frames per second image. There are DepthQ 720p (price at USD 6,000) and other high price 1080p DLP home theater (price point over USD 10,000) projectors that can deliver such performance.

PJD6220-3D can deliver the same sequential stereoscopic performance as DepthQ and the high price 1080p DLP projector at an affortable price. In the past, XGA DLP projectors can only achieve 60 fps panel speed. PJD6220-3D is the first XGA DLP projector with multiple DLP panel speeds - 60 and 120 fps. PJD6220-3D can automatic detects the incoming content frame rate and switch the panel speed to 120Hz when 120Hz input is detected.

PJD6220-3D will also work with NVIDIA 3D Vision. The final NIVIDA 3D Vision driver that support PJD622-3D will be released in the next few weeks. The current driver will still work but an annoying warning message will be displayed during game play (The warning message can only be removed in the upcoming new driver).

There are some DLP TVs that currently claim capable of sequential stereoscopic 3D. These TVs only run it at 60Hz and half resolution (odd lines field for left eye frame and even lines for right eye frame).
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Tofu, you just said my 100Hz DLP Projector is only 60Hz, yeah okay...
FYI, my projector cost $250 including new lamp and matches the specs of that $1500 Viewsonic except its only 100Hz max instead of 120Hz... (My PJ is from eBay, hence cheap)

Oh and all DLP's have fast response times :lol:
Tofu wrote:There are some DLP TVs that currently claim capable of sequential stereoscopic 3D. These TVs only run it at 60Hz and half resolution (odd lines field for left eye frame and even lines for right eye frame).
Yeah, okay.... actually these displays run upto anything as high as 240Hz and accept 120Hz Input. Are you getting confused with the non-S3D DLP's that claim to be 120Hz but don't provide 120Hz Input...

P.S. Nice of you to resurrect a dead thread.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Tofu wrote:A single panel DLP projector displays image in a sequential manner. Due to this nature, 1-panel DLP projector is best suited for sequential stereoscopic
Hi, correct me if I'm wrong - DLPs only display half their pixels each 120th of a second (like one 'side' of the checkerboard - black or white, if you imagine it that way).
For that reason, a 120Hz frame-sequential input won't inherently give any visual improvement over 60Hz checkerboard.
Maybe that's already understood - just thought it was worth mentioning in case 8)
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Has anyone tried this PJD6220-3D yet?

It looks like it is available for under $900 at many online retailers.

I would like to know if this is the projector that we have been waiting for that will truly take a VGA 1024X768 signal at 120hz and support shutterglasses 3d with no loss in resolution our checkerboard crap.

I have been out of the 3d loop for awhile so I don't even know what software to use for shutterglasses 3d...is Nvidia the only solution or did IZ3d find a way to sych their drivers to shutterglasses?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I'm curious to know if it takes a 60 Hz signal and displays it at 120 Hz.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”