'Monsters vs. Aliens' hurtles to $58.2M debut

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

'Monsters vs. Aliens' hurtles to $58.2M debut

Post by cybereality »

More hype for 3D, Dreamworks doesn't mess around.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090330/ap_en_mo/box_office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Monsters vs. Aliens" was the latest success story for digital 3-D projection. While the 2,080 3-D screens accounted for just 28 percent of the roughly 7,300 on which the movie played, they made up 56 percent of its total box-office haul, said Anne Globe, head of marketing for DreamWorks Animation.

Tickets for 3-D movies typically cost a few dollars more than the 2-D version.

"Audiences donned 3-D glasses in the biggest way ever," Globe said. "`Monsters vs. Aliens' serves as valuable proof of concept for the next generation of 3-D."

The company plans to offer 3-D versions of all of its future animated films, including next year's "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek Goes Fourth," the third sequel to the blockbuster ogre franchise.

Other upcoming 3-D releases this year include Pixar Animation's "Up" and James Cameron's sci-fi adventure "Avatar."

Large-screen IMAX theaters showing "Monsters vs. Aliens" in 3-D accounted for $5.2 million of the movie's overall grosses. Those 143 IMAX theaters represented only about 2 percent of the screens on which the movie played but contributed 9 percent of its total box office.
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: 'Monsters vs. Aliens' hurtles to $58.2M debut

Post by koshien »

Great! I am watching it on friday (the day it is going to come out here in Europe) with Dolby system, in a brand-new 3D converted movie theater very close to my house... I booked it :)
p.s. By the way, by the time my gf and I and a couple of our friends managed to book it, it was already almost sold out... 8)
koshien

Post by koshien »

Hey Neil, give us a video from GDC 8)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Already on the front page! :D

Regards,
Neil
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

This was a good movie nice FX and very funny.
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”