CompoBank's prototype 3D digital camera and digiframe

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

CompoBank's prototype 3D digital camera and digiframe

Post by yuriythebest »

Sure, it's not the first 3D camera we've seen 'round these parts -- and it sure ain't the wackiest -- but it looks like CompoBank of South Korea is diving headlong into three dimensional imaging with the release of both a camera and a 7-inch digiframe, sometime in late 2009 or thereafter. The company's prototype 3D digital camera features a parallax barrier 3D display, which uses two pictures to assemble the image, and an anaglyph format option (for those who prefer the old school red/cyan glasses). Parallax 3D images can be viewed on the digiframe, which boasts an 800 x 480 screen resolution and a function to convert pictures and video files from 2D to 3D. The company plans on making its products compatible with Fujifilm's 3D camera and display systems, which should also see the light of day sometime this year. There's no word yet on a release date, except that it will be this fall "at the earliest." Check out that fine camera after the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/20/comp ... digiframe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I already like the fujifilm alternative way more. The separation separation on this thing seems minuscule
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: CompoBank's prototype 3D digital camera and digiframe

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the lenses are right on top of each other. Not much 3D from that at all.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Maybe with macrophotos... But the lenses doesn't really seem optimized for that. :P
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Likay wrote:Maybe with macrophotos... But the lenses doesn't really seem optimized for that. :P
yeah, I think the optimum use for this is taking very close up photos in webcam quality with "some" depth... anyone.. anyone at all??

I wonder if they'll have the nerve to put this in the same price range as the fujifilm camera - perhaps if they make the case shiny :)

EDIT: just occured to me- I have little knowledge about how the 3d pictureframes work- perhaps high separation won't look good and that's why they did it- just a theory.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”