Trying to upgrade effectivly enough for the Nvidia 3d vision

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Trying to upgrade effectivly enough for the Nvidia 3d vision

Post by BILDO »

Ok here is my current build.

AMD X2 4800+ (s939) 2.4ghz
3gig DDR OCZ
8800gt
A8N-e mobo

I am trying to upgrade without breaking the bank.

I would like to get a new mobo that can SLI 2 8800gt's
Can I OC my +4800 to be fast enough to keep up with the 8800gt?

Any thoughts?

I would like to keep my costs below $500 not including the $200 for the 3D vision Kit.

-BILDO
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Trying to upgrade effectivly enough for the Nvidia 3d vision

Post by chrisjarram »

BILDO wrote:Ok here is my current build.

AMD X2 4800+ (s939) 2.4ghz
3gig DDR OCZ
8800gt
A8N-e mobo

I am trying to upgrade without breaking the bank.

I would like to get a new mobo that can SLI 2 8800gt's
Can I OC my +4800 to be fast enough to keep up with the 8800gt?

Any thoughts?

I would like to keep my costs below $500 not including the $200 for the 3D vision Kit.

-BILDO
Why not sell the one 8800 and get a GTX200/280 or 295 - that way you avoid the headaches associated with SLi and get an integrated Physx harware accelerator. I'm running 3d vision at 3072x768 res with a GTX280 and Q6600 CPU and the framerates are v fluid at max details in games like dirt / COD series / Crysis Warhead etc...
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

Because I have been reading up and alot of ppl say an SLI 8800gt with the dual core gpu is faster than the gtx260.

Well, if that is faster than a gtx... I could buy an 8800gt under $100 used instead of selling for under $100 and then buying a new 260 or 280... especially do not want to spend the $$ for a 295.

So trying to keep costs down.
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

Ok, so I think your right... I am going to buy a gtx285 I found from a guy selling for $285 plus shipping + warranty transfer.

Then I will keep my 8800gt for a dedicated physics card!!
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

chrisjarram wrote:that way you avoid the headaches associated with SLi and get an integrated Physx harware accelerator.
I heard that you can plug your old nvidia card into a free pcie socket (be it 1x 2x or different) without SLI and use it solely as a dedicated physx card. Is that right?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Rosomack wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:that way you avoid the headaches associated with SLi and get an integrated Physx harware accelerator.
I heard that you can plug your old nvidia card into a free pcie socket (be it 1x 2x or different) without SLI and use it solely as a dedicated physx card. Is that right?
I believe you can but with the power consumption, heat and space hassles of an extra card for physx is physx actually worth it? Does it do anything usefull in any game you will play?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

Its only in a few games right now, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , Mirrors Edge, maybe COD:WaW... not to sure on that one.

But yea, u can use an older card 8800 and above for PhysX.
bbloff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bbloff »

I say go with the GTX285. I've been researching this as well (new build to handle NVidia 3d vision), although I'll probably go with GTX260 then upgrade card later - only because GTX280+ cards are disproportionately expensive contrasted to gain in framerate (in Australia).

I've read microstuttering is an issue (in non s3d gaming) for any multi GPU configuration (including GTX295). It seems only some users notice this artifact, but it can be demonstrated by timing the framerates (http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6537 ... /Practice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). For example the frame timing is 15ms-35ms-15ms-35ms etc. My question is would this microstuttering be a problem/more pronounced when using shutterglasses? In the meantime I'll stick with a single core to be on the safe side (GTX260/280/285).
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I agree with the others, do not go the SLI route.

SLI never doubles performance, in fact a good few populare games actually run worse via SLI than using just the one card.
Not to mention all the issues it can cause with S3D (Shame though, SLI would be the perfect way to handle the extra performance you need for S3D)
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”