s3d article on hardwarecanucks - part 1 of 2:

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
liquorbeard
One Eyed Hopeful

s3d article on hardwarecanucks - part 1 of 2:

Post by liquorbeard »

Figured I'd post it before I read it since it's 14 pages :)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... ision.html
cpu: i7 920 @ 2.66GHz | heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT 1366 | mb: EVGA X58 | ram: g.skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 (model: F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ) | gpu: EVGA GTX 295 w/ backplate | case: Cooler Master HAF 932 | psu 1: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W | psu 2: Thermaltake W0158RU 650W (for GPU) | system hd: WD Velociraptor 300GB | data array: 3x1TB RAID5: Seagate Barracuda ST31000333AS | display 1: Samsung 2233RZ w/ Nvidia 3D Vision glasses | display 2: Acer 22" LCD | os: Vista Ultimate x64
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: s3d article on hardwarecanucks - part 1 of 2:

Post by Neil »

It's a very good article. I know the journalist who did this, and he is not in the Nine Shameful Sins of S-3D Hardware Reviews article - which is good!

I think he was much too forgiving with the video games section because he didn't consider out of screen effects as part of the rating system, but he clearly did his homework. It will be interesting to see what conditions he rates the iZ3D under.

By the way, he asked me this and I didn't have an answer.

Anyone know who is responsible for making this logo possible? Is it an official stamp of approval put out by a recognized industry body, or is it a generic stamp that got virally spread around with no particular company or organization responsible for determining eligibility?

This stamp appears on DLP TVs and 3D capable monitors (Like the Samsung 2233 120Hz monitor box).

Regards,
Neil
liquorbeard
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: s3d article on hardwarecanucks - part 1 of 2:

Post by liquorbeard »

Yeah, no kidding! That was one of the most educated articles I've read on major review sites.

Regarding the convergence settings, I agree with the author in that they are buried too deep in the Nvidia control panel. It would be nice if Nvidia had some sort of hotkey listing or brief tutorial in addition to the game settings tips when you first enter a game or press the ctrl-alt-insert combo. Or better yet, when more developers embrace the technology, have some sort of convergence/depth calibration sequence in the beginning of games, similar to the brightness calibration sequence present in many games (Fear 2, Dead Space). Not only would it educate new users as to what the settings do, but most likely prevent them accidentally overdoing the convergence/depth settings and getting a bad first impression of the technology or game.

In regards to the logo, I have no idea.
cpu: i7 920 @ 2.66GHz | heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT 1366 | mb: EVGA X58 | ram: g.skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 (model: F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ) | gpu: EVGA GTX 295 w/ backplate | case: Cooler Master HAF 932 | psu 1: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W | psu 2: Thermaltake W0158RU 650W (for GPU) | system hd: WD Velociraptor 300GB | data array: 3x1TB RAID5: Seagate Barracuda ST31000333AS | display 1: Samsung 2233RZ w/ Nvidia 3D Vision glasses | display 2: Acer 22" LCD | os: Vista Ultimate x64

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”