120 hz refresh 1080 p affordable projector

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

120 hz refresh 1080 p affordable projector

Post by zebrastealer »

Saw this a couple days ago – 1080p projector with 120hz refresh rate from Sanyo. Could work with shutter-glasses, the downside is that it isn’t very bright.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-pr ... 20699.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: 120 hz refresh 1080 p affordable projector

Post by nubie »

From your link:
The PLV-Z3000 is one of the few projectors on the market with a 120Hz refresh rate. According to Sanyo, the refresh rate lets the unit properly reproduce the frame rate of film-based material from 60Hz sources, such as high-definition TV shows broadcast in 1080i that originated on film, in a process known as 5:5 pull-down. For 1080p/24 sources, the projector refreshes at 96Hz, which should again allow preservation of the proper 24p frame rate.
I wouldn't hold my breath, you need 120hz synced, not 60hz de-interlaced. I would love it if that was a working projector though.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Re: 120 hz refresh 1080 p affordable projector

Post by chrisdfw »

Be careful.

Most projectors, LCD's, and Plasmas that advertise 120hz are only 120hz after internal processing and can't take in data at 120hz. I am 99% sure that is the case with this one since they talk about taking in 60hz material and 24FPS material and converting it to higher refresh rates. Most single HDMI inputs also can't handle the bandwidth of more than 60hz. You would have to use the VGA or the projector would have to have two HDMI that could take a seperate signal from the left and right image and then flip between them at 120hz.

Most likely, this projector at that price will not work for 3d unless they implemented the checkerboard compatablitiy but then you are losing half of the resolution.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”