My tragic tale, and cry for help...

theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

My tragic tale, and cry for help...

Post by theadzter »

Hey all...
Looong time reader. 1st time poster.
I live in Sydney, Australia. Years ago, i bought some e-dimensional glasses. Man they were fun that whole week before my crt blew up.
But that was ok! Coz e-dimensional's website said my glasses were lcd compatible! Ahem...
I had 2 projectors too. Neither of which were compatible with 3d.
So... with an lcd that didn't wanna do 3d, i figured i'd wait it out for a nice big lcd or plasma to be 3d-guy on.
I even 'future-proofed' myself and bought an 8800gtx the moment it came out, coz i just knew those 3dready screens and Nvidia vista 3d drivers were 'just around the corner'.
Jump forward a couple of years...
When i saw the CES09 Nvidia 3dvision announcement... nothing was gonna stop me. I figured if noobody made a concrete statement about new 3d plasmas, I was shipping me a Samsung HL67A750 67" LED DLP here asap. After all... i'd waited an eternity damn it!
Nobody did make any announcements. So i did.
The aussie dollar had crashed to around 60c US. Shipping was a fortune. It was late. Oversized. Customs. You name it.
The universe did NOT want me to play in any more than 2 dimensions.
I knew this for sure when i finally got the sucker in my living room and turned it on. Coz there were 2 black crack marks down the screen.
Either to my mate's joint in New York. Or, from there to here... the back mirror that the projector projects the image onto so that it can be reflected back onto the screen, had cracked into 3 pieces.
So here I am now with a huge, busted ass tv.
Shipping it back and forth to the US for warranty would cost a bomb and take forvever.
Can't prove which shipping company dropped it from a great height just for fun.
Samsung Australia refuse to touch it coz it's a US model. Hell, they don't even wanna look up a part for me on the offchance one of the older 67" back mirrors is compatible.
Samsung US just keep sending me a link to the US parts store.
The US parts store has weird codes for things. They've got things listed under screens for an HL67A750 I know I don't want... like lentis (front part of the screen)
But under 'mirror', they only have parts listed compatible with the 61" model (HL61A750).
And they have 'mirror-front' and 'mirror-rear', and no details or description of what it does. Which do i need Mr. Samsung?

So I figured i'd try out you cats. I'm pretty sure there's a few guys on here with this tv. And if so, maybe you know which part i need. Or maybe you know how to find out.
And if so, I will name my firstborn after you.
Coz right now, it sucks to be me.
All I wanted was that extra little dimension... Is that too much to ask?
Cheers fellas,
Ad
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Re: My tragic tale, and cry for help...

Post by shonofear »

O sNaP!!!!!!!!!!!
damn, im really feeling for ya huge disappointments,
i dont think theres really anything that I can say that could really make you feel any better.
Thats the exact reason I have been extra patient for something to come out in Australia at a reasonable price.
Im still using ancient Nvidia drivers with me X3D shutters and a oversized CRT screen.....
i get by but always get excited reading others sweet as setups on here with a little envy of course :P
I did notice that they do sell the Samsung Plasma that does 3D support with shutters using the checkerboard technique.
Last time i checked it was around $1500- AU (that was a while back as well)
Hope thats not insult to injury but hope sum 1 on this forum can help ya out.
Nice to have another ozzie cat around ;),
welcome mate
YeW
Shono
waiting patiently......
theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by theadzter »

Well...

That was sorted pretty quick.

A dude over at the AVS forum pointed me out to a little menu that unhid the part i was after.

Crisis averted! I can't believe i may actually be playin games in 3d sometime soon after all.
Joy...

Ad ;)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Very sorry to hear that. :(
Sometimes there are trolls around everywhere when trying to do a specific thing. I hope things get straightened out soon and you're getting your mirror. On the other hand i believe an ordinary mirror could do as well. Probably not as good as an original part though.

Oh... Welcome to the forums by the way! :oops:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I'm sorry, I feel for you man. Thats a messed up situation. Hope everything works out for you.

Welcome. Stick around the forums, its fun.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

You are lucky that only the mirror is broken.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by theadzter »

I thought that too actually...

At least the mirror is obvious, and probably the easiest thing to replace.
Not sure I made it clear in my last post. But the AVS dude found the part i need and sent me the details.
So I've ordered it! They do call it a 'front-mirror'... erm, even tho it's inside... in the back.

Here's hopin whoever delivers it this time is nice n' cautious.

And fast!

Thanks for the sympathy and kind words guys. I'll let ya know if and when I'm up and running.
Ad :)
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

I am amazed that Samsung does not market and support its DLP TV in Australia.

What are they thinking in Korea.

Surely Australians aren't falling for the retail propaganda that big plasma or LCD screens are the only way forward.

DLP TV is getting good reviews and I can see myself getting one eventually.

Usually the big manufacturers market new products in Australia first because its a small market of 20 million people, and they can get quick feedback about any problems - a beta test of sorts.

Unfortunately for Australians the aussie dollar has lost half its value against the US dollar in the last year, so it looks like more junk is coming your way. :wink:
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

budda wrote:Hi,

I am amazed that Samsung does not market and support its DLP TV in Australia.

What are they thinking in Korea.

Surely Australians aren't falling for the retail propaganda that big plasma or LCD screens are the only way forward.

DLP TV is getting good reviews and I can see myself getting one eventually.

Usually the big manufacturers market new products in Australia first because its a small market of 20 million people, and they can get quick feedback about any problems - a beta test of sorts.

Unfortunately for Australians the aussie dollar has lost half its value against the US dollar in the last year, so it looks like more junk is coming your way. :wink:
There are NO DLP TVs at all being sold over here in Europe either. That's right, none at all.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I live in Denmark where there's:

1 IMAX 3D movie theater.
0 Nvidia 3D Vision in stores.
0 iZ3D in stores.
0 Samsung DLP 3D ready TV's in stores.
0 Mitsubitsi DLP 3D ready TV's in stores.

???...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

In sweden the same. We live in a cave... hdtv hasn't even broke through yet... :oops:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

You probably could have gone to a glass shop and had a mirror cut for 5 bucks. :)

Warren.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”