Will this projector work for for active 85hz?

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Will this projector work for for active 85hz?

Post by Okta »

Philips UGO X-Lite LC5241 Multimedia Projector

Need a quick reply if anyone has any idea if this will work for shutters. Its 1024x768@85hz native so it fits the bill but its still unkown until its tested and i cant find any info on it on the 3d projector compatible sites.

Thanks for any info.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Re: Will this projector work for for active 85hz?

Post by staticbuddha »

As far as im aware all projectors can work with shutter glassess, that not the problem the problem is not seeing each shutter , shutting and opening again. which can only be achieved with 100 (mostly 120Hz) projectors / monitors.

The main reason you cant find a website is becaus ethey dont exsist, well tell a lie search for qdepth projectors, this is the onyl one ont he market but its gonna cost you $3000

Yep way to expensive, Viewsonic are releasing one shortly at half that price

Otherwise I believe if you want to have 3d Projection using shutter glasses you can use two projectors so that you have say 2 projectors runnign at 85Hz = 170Hz, but this can still be expensive and allot of confiuration and you might need soem other eletonic device to make this all work?? Im not sure hear as I have never doen it but sure this is possible

Oh well good luck on your search :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No idea if that Phillips will work but maybe you want to wait for the Viewsonic 120Hz projector that works Nvidia 3D Vision.
AWoods
SD&A Co-Chair

Post by AWoods »

staticbuddha... There are many inaccuracies in your post. Please allow me to correct them one-by-one.

1. "As far as im aware all projectors can work with shutter glassess"
WRONG...
LCD projectors will not work adequately with shutter glasses.
Many DLP projectors will work with shutter glasses, but not all.
Check out this list to see a broad survey of DLP projectors that will and won't work with shutter glasses.
http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately the list is now fairly dated... but it's the best we've got...

2. "The main reason you cant find a website is becaus ethey dont exsist"
WRONG...
try this one: http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. "this [DepthQ projector] is the onyl one [120Hz active 3D projector] ont he market"
As you rightly correct yourself, there is also the new Viewsonic PJD6220-3D, but there are also 120Hz 3D projectors from ProjectionDesign, Christie Digital, Barco, NEC and Digital Projection. However, all of these latter projectors are MUCH more expensive than the DepthQ or the Viewsonic.

4. "Otherwise I believe if you want to have 3d Projection using shutter glasses you can use two projectors"
No no no....
Although this is technically possible, if you have two projectors it would be MUCH better to use polarised projection. Lightweight cheap polarised glasses, no flicker, no additional electronics or shutters required.

Now back to Okta's original question as to whether the "Philips UGO X-Lite LC5241 Multimedia Projector" will work with shutter glasses. This is a 1024x768 DLP projector.

Unfortunately I am not aware of this particular model being tested proviously. The chances are fairly even as to whether this projector will worth with 85Hz active stereo. Only 52% of the 29 XGA DLP projectors that we tested were 85Hz 3D compatible.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to test this projector for 3D compatibility. ;-)
Okta

Post by Okta »

Thanks Awoods. I have let that one go and have spotted an XR-10X which should be awesome :D
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
tiduslite8
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tiduslite8 »

As others have already said, it won't work.
Still, the way the new technology is coming out, you should be able to find a good model at a much lower price in the near future.
Source for new Home Projector
Okta

Post by Okta »

tiduslite8 wrote:As others have already said, it won't work.
Still, the way the new technology is coming out, you should be able to find a good model at a much lower price in the near future.
Was this to me or staticbuddha? There is no reason the projector I listed cant work other than that is has not been tested as confirmed yet.
tiduslite8
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tiduslite8 »

@Okta
I apologize.
You are correct that there is no reason that the projector you listed won't work.
My reply was meant for staticbuddha
Source for new Home Projector
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

I never said it wont work

Quote from my orginal text
As far as im aware all projectors can work with shutter glassess, that not the problem the problem is not seeing each shutter , shutting and opening again. which can only be achieved with 100 (mostly 120Hz) projectors / monitors.

Also AWoods said I was wrong , well you can have LCD Projectors working with shutter glassess, so sorry AWoods yoru wrong aswell, The word adequately, does nto mean it wont work?? it mean its not the best solution, I never said it was the best solution??

Quote from AWoods
1. "As far as im aware all projectors can work with shutter glassess"
WRONG...
LCD projectors will not work adequately with shutter glasses.
Many DLP projectors will work with shutter glasses, but not all.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Edimensional designed a special driver to work with lcd's which was very poor at best and long ago abandoned. As for nvidia drivers (not including nvision) about as many lcd projetors work with shutters as there are lcd monitors working. That would be close to zero, unless you can point us to some sources?
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

Please feel free to read my orginal post, as you are elaberarting on things that where never mentioned??

I never talked about drivers, what I said was this :

- So yes shutter glasses can work with LCD projectors, thats it, thats all I said, I dont understand how you can make your question out of my answer??
Okta

Post by Okta »

Ok, without being rude i must say that you are indeed wrong on the assumption that all projecters work AT ALL with active glasses.

No lcd projectors will work. (Unless you can provide a source to back up your statement otherwise as im asking for the 3rd time now).

Around 50% of dlp projectors will work with varying degrees of success.

Here is the best rescourse on tested units. http://www.3dmovielist.com/projectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies if i am still somehow misunderstanding you.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

http://www.uni-weimar.de/cms/fileadmin/ ... 004ipt.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okta

Post by Okta »

Hmm i would not realy count that as it requires 2 projectors and either mechanical or lcd shuttering mods to create an active system, I also came up with the idea myself independantly http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If using 2 lcd projectors the simpler way is to go polarized.

Thanks for the link anyway as it adds some validation to my other thread.
AWoods
SD&A Co-Chair

Post by AWoods »

Staticbuddha, you're missing the point.
Okta asked whether a _single_ LCD projector could be used with LC shutter glasses for 85Hz stereo.
The paper you referred to uses _two_or_more_ LCD projectors plus extra shutters and electronics.
The paper and its outcomes are very interesting, but not relevant to Okta's original question.

And Okta is right that the shuttered multiple LCD projectors technique, will only work with LCD projectors (not DLP or CRT).

Again, (based on the testing that we've done) _single_ LCD projectors won't work adequately** with time-sequential 3D using LC shutter glasses.
If you're interested in the reasons why, check out this paper:
"Compatibility of LCD Monitors with Frame-Sequential Stereoscopic 3D Visualisation"
Available for free download from here: http://www.3d.curtin.edu.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(The paper is written about LCD monitors, but there is relevance to LCD projectors).

And as I said before, if you've got two LCD projectors, you're better off using polarised projection for stereoscopic purposes [unless you've got exotic requirements].

** why do I write "adequately"? Because we were able to get a very low-quality stereoscopic image by reducing the duty cycle of the LCS glasses, but the image was very dim, and there was still a lot of ghosting at the top and bottom of the display. Not adequate quality for normal use - but an interesting academic exercise. There's more details in the paper referenced above.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

AWoods wrote:Again, (based on the testing that we've done) _single_ LCD projectors won't work adequately** with time-sequential 3D using LC shutter glasses.

This paper has suggested two possible methods of
achieving frame-sequential stereo on fast response
LCD monitors. However both methods are not ideal

Andrew you say both methods in your paper are not ideal. What Samsung is doing with thier new 120hz lcd monitor - is that ideal? Other posters have stated in testing that crystal eyes 3 glasses work better with the geforce 3d vision solution than the nvidia shutter glasses (he noted slight ghosting with the geforce glasses) I don't understand how nvidia could release glasses that are not ghost free because crystal eyes technology is very old at this point. I am wondering if anyone has tested the samsung shutter glasses and if they work better than nvidia's own glasses on the 3d vision solution.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AWoods
SD&A Co-Chair

Post by AWoods »

In my paper I propose two methods of using shutter glasses with an LCD monitor.
The first proposed method does not work well because it results in low image brightness, crosstalk at the top and bottom of the screen, and (if used on a 60Hz panel) lots of flicker.
The second proposed method is not ideal because it cannot be used with existing 60Hz panels, and would still result in 30Hz flicker.

The new 3D 120Hz LCD monitors from Viewsonic and Samsung, might be using a combination of these techniques.

Regarding LCS glasses: Quality costs money. The Crystaleyes aren't the more expensive for no reason. In any case, I think it unlikely the Crystaleyes glasses and the Samsung glasses will work with the new 3D 120Hz LCD monitors (due to the native polarisation of the LC panels, and their inability to be switched at a reduced duty cycle) - although I'd like to be proven wrong...

Ghosting/Crosstalk is something that happens with most stereoscopic 3D displays. The best 3D image quality is usually provided by the displays which exhibit the least ghosting/crosstalk. Even Crystaleyes exhibit some crosstalk - it's all a question of how much.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”