Wii remote "3D" hack + vizoo cheoptics 3d holo display

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Wii remote "3D" hack + vizoo cheoptics 3d holo display

Post by Rosomack »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=PL&hl=pl&v=QgKCrGvShZs

Starts from about 3:30, but the whole video's worth watching anyway.

That's pretty amazing. I heard some of the most expensive 3D monitors have eye-tracking technology. No reason to get excited though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5nt541SE0

That's also pretty cool, but still a gimmick. Still, good to see the slow and painful evolution of 3d display technology.
Last edited by Rosomack on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Wii remote "3D" hack

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, thats been posted here before. Still cool though. Johnny Lee is a god.
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wii remote "3D" hack

Post by Rosomack »

Darn, I should have used the search feature but I'm too lazy :P. I'll leave it just as a refresher anyway.

EDIT:
I'm adding another interesting vid :P. No reason to close the topic now.
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Wii remote "3D" hack + vizoo cheoptics 3d holo display

Post by chrisjarram »

Nothing new there, not sure what the audience are pissing their pants about :) - those ideas have been around looong before the Nintendo Wiimote even saw the light of day - people do it homebrew with webcams and there are a tonne of vids on Youtube to prove it. The head tracking is obviously a no-brainer (trackIR), but the multitouch demo is pretty cool. I use a TIR4 for the 'holodeck' functionality at home, you really do need a stereoscopic rig for this but its kinda cool. I had to have a little chuckle when this guy claimed his headtracking idea 'has been startling to the game development community' - the game development community have been supporting head-tracking for years... is he claiming to have invented this? :roll:

The Cheoptics360 display, although looking intially impressive, is merely a bunch of mirrors and reflective surfaces to give the illusion of free-floating images. For them to state that '4 3d projectors are used' is stupid, they are not 3d projectors at all. It is not holographic, nor is it volumetric - it is simply an extension of techniques which have been used for decades now. Spinning helix's and lasers can be used for 'true' volumetric 3d, but this is still rather primitive at the moment. If you want a good overview of where the market is I recommend checking out the Inition website, a company (to use the term loosely, as they are bloody awful to deal with!) that deals in this kind of technology.
XFX GTX 280 XXX,BFG 7900GTX,Q6600,4gbXMS2,3TB RAID,2xWD Raptors,MountainMods U2-UFO Case,1KW Thermaltake PSU, 3x BenQ MP720p,Full active sim setup inc actuators,shakers,wind,THX sound.CrystalEyes 3,6 wireless ED w/ hipower emitter.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”