Fraunhofer's 3D dashboard prototype

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Fraunhofer's 3D dashboard prototype

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/12/frau ... prototype/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sheer amount of technology companies are willing to throw at your car's dashboard is amazing (well, maybe not your car -- after all, you're still driving a '76 Gremlin). Taking things up a notch, the folks at Fraunhofer have developed a dash that displays your location and the surrounding area in 3D, in real time. The system uses cameras to keep track of the location of your eyes, so the depth imaging effect can be achieved without using those funny glasses. In addition to the GPS, the dashboard only displays the information that is most relevant to the driver at any time -- fuel gauge, tire pressure, route information or the title of the song can be displayed, depending on user preferences. It's only a prototype at this point -- be sure to check it out when you hit CeBIT in Hanover this March.
a very innovative use of 3d I must say :) I wonder if you can hack it to play UT3 while in park mode :) but yeah, several small in built games would be nice
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Fraunhofer's 3D dashboard prototype

Post by Freke1 »

"...fuel gauge, tire pressure, route information or the title of the song can be displayed..."

Yes, all crucial information :D
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Sounds interesting.
The description sounds like a parallax barrier but which can be moved in realtime + headtracking to know where the driver's eyes are located.

The question i ask myself is : why a dashboard ? why not a generic screen first ? Single user only ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

speaking of which, if they implemented this they could also go the shole way and implement 2 3d LCD's on the back seats so the kids can watch IMAX movies :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

Wow, that's neat, reminds me of this, in a less spherical way :shock: :

The MINI Crossover Concept

"The focus of the interior is the “MINI Centre Globe” which is installed in the place of where you’d typically expect the giant speedometer to be. The 3D sphere uses laser projection to display two different views if viewed from different positions. This allows the front passenger and front driver to view different displays from the same MINI Centre Globe."

Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”