How many waiting for HD?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!

Are you waiting for TDVisor-HD

Yes - HD is the way to go!
87%
No - I have the TDVisor-SD
2%
Not interested in HMDs
12%

Total votes: 52

SuperDre
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SuperDre »

Tril wrote:I think it depends on which VR920 owner you ask the question. Some of them have better luck than others with the usability of the headtracking.

I have a VR920. To answer your question, no or I got a defective unit. It seemed to work a bit for the first day then after that it became unusable. I don't know what changed. The yaw uses the magnetic of the earth and it works very badly. On my unit, the yaw jumps suddenly and badly at some specific angles and it does not track very fluidly. The other two axis use accelerometer and they sense the gravity so they work much better.
That's about the only thing I also have problems with, the yaw.. they did a much better job on the old VFX1..
I agree ofcourse that the higher the resolution, the better it is, but that doesn't mean that 640x480 isn't reasonable for gaming as Denaris states, also for strategy and role-playing games it is suffice.. yeah, ofcourse it doesn't look the same as playing on 1600x1200..
but you also have to keep in mind that if you always gonnan wait on something better, you'll never play at all... and the vr920 is something that is on the market for a very low price, the next acceptable vizor (which does have a slight higher resolution (800x600)) is about 4 times as expensive brand new..
I'd rather put my money on a cheapish device for now, so I can play and wait until a better unit is on the market for about the same price..

I also have a projector for watching movies (Optoma H79, DLP 1280x720) but no headset could ever come close to watching a movie on it.
TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

News?

Post by TeraBit »

So was there any TDVision news / announcements from Siggraph? Any sight of the big launch yet? 8)
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: News?

Post by koshien »

TeraBit wrote:So was there any TDVision news / announcements from Siggraph? Any sight of the big launch yet? 8)
And what about the first Disney 3D blu-ray coming out in a few days...? 8)
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Well fellas, we have all been waiting for the HD version for a very long time now...

With the imminent launch of a working iZ3D shutter glasses driver, I am soon going to buy a Z800 again to tide me over to the point when the HD is finally released and reviewed by some of our community's finest :P

I wanted to thank the CEO for his post on the previous page, it was nice of him to explain what was going on behind the scenes.

I would also, at this point, like to request that the shipping fees be looked into in detail before the launch... I don't think I need to say anymore on this issue :P

Also, where does TD stand with the "Dead Pixel" issue? That last thing we need after spending a small fortune is to have dead pixels on one screen, throwing immersion out of the window.

Thanks again, I look forward to finally getting my hands on the HD.

All the best,
-- Shahzad
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
TeraBit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TeraBit »

I'm hoping that the TDVisor-HD will be an affordable choice (if the SD is going from $1000 -> $500ish, I am hoping for the HD to follow a similar trend, i.e. $1500 -> $700ish) (works out to about £400 in UK).

Of course the shipping and VAT and anything else you can shake a stick at will likely bring it to £500 (about $900), which is a big investment still. :shock:

Am eager to see how much pain my wallet will be going though. :lol:
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

The poll speaks for itself. Anything less that HD is not going to sell. A 800x600 resolution just doesn't interest most people these days. Maybe for a cell phone screen.

I always wait for a tipping point before buying. For digital cameras, I wanted a quality 2 megapixel camera for $300. I waited for that benchmark then bought. TDVision needs to figure out how the tipping point for the target market is and hit it to succeed. I'd have to see with my own eyes to know for sure, but I'd guess 1080p resolution for $700 is where I would but a HMD.

The market for a good HMD is huge, someone just has to get it right and it will take off like the iPod. I can image wearing my HMD and entering anothe r world where I can work and play.

Thanks,
Ryan
Segya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Segya »

I'd be fine with a mostly sharp 720P HMD for 750$...

I wouldn't say no to a 1080P HMD for 700$ though
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

How many waiting for HD?

Post by pierreye »

From consumer acceptance point of view, 720p selling for 24" LCD monitor pricing will be a mass consumer acceptable pricing. I wouldn't think 1080p for USD 700 is realistic at least for year 2009.
TDVCEO
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How many waiting for HD?

Post by TDVCEO »

To all the TDVisor enthusiasts:

We highly appreciate your support and interest to our TDVisor product, both, the HD and the SD version.

The release of the TDVisor HD has been postponed due to priority re-arrangement in our company. We have been re-grouping ourselves. TDVision opened a new branch in Irvine a fewe months ago and we are expanding our Software development team. We have all the schematics, the electronics design, the optical design and hardware ready for mass production of the HD TDVisor. The only thing missing is the ergonomic and mechanical design. This step requires a considerable amount of resources, and given the financial situation we had to be very cautious regarding the budget and expenses as per directed by our Members of the Board. The amount of units required has not reached the break-even point, so we've decided to redirect and apply all the available financial resources to the development of some of our other products like the TDVCodec and DejaView. I personally feel bad about the fact that we have not entered the mass production of the TDVisor HD as originally intended because I know this has been expected for many users around the world based on the emails we've received.

I would like to formally apologize to all the TDVisor fans for the delay, but we will keep you posted about the development and future release dates. The TDVisor effort has not been abandoned, it has been postponed until further notice. We firmly believe that having a 3D HD 720p portable immersive 108" @ 10ft stereoscopic screen is the best way to take you inside the action and we will achieve that in the near future.

We want the best for our customers, and TDVision is actually paving the way for massive adoption of stereoscopic 3D on the content side for movies and videogames and that will be even more appealing from the consumer point of view. We have enabled our software and applications like AlterSpace and DejaView to drive 3D DLP TVs like Samsung and Mitsubishi 3D-Ready displays, we have a videogame running in stereo with our TDVirtualCam for XBOX and we can store movies encoded with our TDVCodec for Blu-ray discs since January 2008, and we are active part of the standardization process on world wide associations and organizations, we can even drive a cinema with our gamut of products in full 3D HD 1080p per eye. At the right moment, the TDVisor will come with lots of content to enjoy with an un-paralleled experience.

Thank you for your support and understanding,

Manuel R. Gutierrez Novelo
TDVision Systems, Inc.
CEO & President
Segya
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Segya »

Great to hear from you, I am looking forward to see the results of your efforts.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Although I am dissapointed, I thank you for your up-front attitude and the transparancy of your company.

I wish your company the best in the future and hope to see the development of the new system in the coming years.

-- Shahzad.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

Wel....hm.

My Z800 is beginning to have that beat up look of a cell phone that you’ve had way to long.

My Nvidia 7800GTX is basically begging to be put out of it's misery.

And so I would like to point out that I would be happy to pay $1500 for a TDvisor HD prototype. Please make these prototypes available like the other TDvisors were.
Doom Lord
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Doom Lord »

Thanks for the update.

Have to say your making the right decission, next year is going to be a bloodbath, damn the credit crunch!!
da_giz
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by da_giz »

That's sad to hear, I was really waiting for the HD version.
But it's understandable if you have trouble financing development.

We'll be hanging around here waiting :wink:

IZ3D 22", Geforce 280 GTX / Intel e8400 / 4GB RAM
Logitech: G7, K15, Extreme 3D Pro
Win Vista 64bit
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Ugh, thanks for the update. Cool products we all want never happen. :(

hopefully in the next 5 years I'll finally get an HMD to enjoy and that doesn't look like a postage stamp screen. Hopefully before I'm to old to enjoy it which is rapidly coming on like a frieght train. BAH!
DelTorres
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DelTorres »

is the 800x600 version released allready?
Defender
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Defender »

I think a HD 16:9 version bundled with iz3d driver an 45° field of view would be the way to go.

Put it in Stores so ordinary people who are not into 3D Stuff can testdrive it.

No need to worry about not selling it i would say. They will stand in queue to get it once it is in the news.
- My stereo rig -
- iZ3D 22'' - GTX 260 - i7 920 - 12GB Ram - Windows 7 64bit
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

DelTorres wrote:is the 800x600 version released allready?
Yes but I think that it's not in mass production so it's a little expensive.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”