RSS Feed

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
tentaclesex
One Eyed Hopeful

RSS Feed

Post by tentaclesex »

It would be great if people could subscribe to a news feed from this site. Currently, the site requires people to periodically remember to check it. With a feed, people would get a reminder whenever a new item is posted.

I think it would make a big difference in terms of keeping people aware of the site. I know that I personally have stopped reading sites that I liked, simply because I couldn't add them to my feed reader. (Insert Credit, for one.)

Feeds are also significantly less annoying than newsletters.

I know that not everyone uses RSS readers, but it's getting more and more popular. I highly recommend Google Reader. reader.google.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I like that idea! I think we can do it.

Neil
tentaclesex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tentaclesex »

Having the news feed is cool, but why is the blog omitted? It would be nice to have that included in the other feed, or at least to have its own.

Ideally I shouldn't ever have to look at the site to see if there's something new.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm debating that point myself. Having the blog on the site versus RSS helps encourage forum participation - and web traffic is very important. We want the site to look lively.

By the way, check out today's blog. It's a doozy! :o

Regards,
Neil
tentaclesex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tentaclesex »

Yeah, that's some pretty crazy stuff.

As far as traffic goes, the current feed does not include the text of the entry, requiring the user to click through to the site. If the blog feed worked like that, it would work out the same as far as viewing goes. The only difference would be that people would be notified when something new is added, which I can only see as a good thing.

Even if you decided to include the body of the article in the feed, it would still have the relevant forum link, which would bring people right to the discussion thread for the entry, thereby encouraging participation.

It's a win/win as far as I can tell.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I see what you mean! That could work!

Ok, let me sleep on it, and if I still feel good about it in the morning, I'll put the request through.

Neil

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”