FarCry

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

FarCry

Post by ohgrant »

I was just about ready to give up all hope that FarCry will ever run in 3D on this card, I tried both profiles from http://stereo.gsoftware.se/ and they just locked my system up. Last night I tried the Dragon 3D utility and 3D is now back, I thought I tried it on FarCry when Neil first posted it on Nzone but I must not have. Thanks Dragon, Neil and MTBS3D.com for Dragon 3D stereo utility. It's great to play FarCry again in 3D. The only problem that remains is the light ray that was on the left hand side of the screen is now on both sides; I can reduce it but not get rid of the problem. Am I overlooking something? I tried every setting at low and high and nothing in the game settings or NV control pnl seems to affect the problem. After not being able to play FarCry for a year I can live with this but if anyone knows how to correct this without loosing 3D, please let me know.

The best I could get before using Dragon 3D stereo utility.

Now
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Grant!

Far Cry is a real gem with the Post Processing utility.

You can even get it to run with HDR!

I recommend using the default renderer, and you shouldn't have that halo problem. You should also be able to max out all the settings for water and all.

If you want to use an alternate rendered, you can, and you will have to play with the separation and convergence controls to find the sweet spot. You should be able to achieve convergence and separation without the anomaly.

I recommend setting it up with your naked eye - it's easier to find the point where the halo appears.

Regards,
Neil
alcovitch
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alcovitch »

Those screenshots look awful. It looks like those "3D" cardboard pop out B-day cards rather then 3D.

What I mean is... everythign appears flat... just in layers.
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

The convergence in this screenshots is very low, i like a convergence between 30-40%.
you can find my farycry screenshots here: http://www.artemus.kilu2.de/3d-brille/jps/farcry/
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

scarab wrote:The convergence in this screenshots is very low, i like a convergence between 30-40%.
you can find my farycry screenshots here: http://www.artemus.kilu2.de/3d-brille/jps/farcry/
How do you take 3D screenshots like that? :)
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

RTsa wrote:How do you take 3D screenshots like that? :)
ALT + F1 :)
(with Dragon 3D Stereo Utility you can change the screenshot quality)
alcovitch
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alcovitch »

Again, the Convergence is so low in those shots that its not 3D anymore, but 2D objects in layers.

I generally leave seperation at 100% so objects have mass and don't end up looking like they are paper cut outs.
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

alcovitch wrote:Again, the Convergence is so low in those shots that its not 3D anymore, but 2D objects in layers.

I generally leave seperation at 100% so objects have mass and don't end up looking like they are paper cut outs.
I am using a CRT monitor and some shutter glasses so I just can make objects pop out a bit of my screen.
If you use a projector or something you maybe need more Convergence and seperation to get a good effect. Seperation at 100% is nearly unplayable with a CRT monitor.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I think too much convergence messes everything up, if you're verry near to it. So I often use verry little convergence, but increase Seperation instead to (nearly) 100%. This alows me to play the game from every point of view, but the popout effect is reduced. For single pictures with a special point of view a higher Convergence might be better, but on the long it's not.[/list]
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

Thanks for all the help folks, I never did get rid of the halo with shutter glasses but it's not an issue anymore. I just got a used Z800 frrom ebay and I doubt I will ever touch my shutter glasses again.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

They look nice but with errors Neil. Hard to say how they compare to my own, need to do side by side.

One thing is obvious:
On almost all outside shots, it is making mistakes with the trees. Check those images, some trees in the back stand out as if being a few meter away. You can also clearly see this from the L or R images alone. All stuff in the back should look +- the same in both views, but some trees are heavily shifted.

I'd say that'd be annoying. Hope they get that fixed soon.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I didn't see this. Can you point out the shot number and I'll forward it?

EDIT : I think I know what you are talking about. When you are in the jungle, the trees in the distance shift in and out of stereo mode as you walk and they appear on screen. It's not very noticeable during gameplay, but I know what you are talking about. I'll forward this error to iZ3D.

Neil
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

Great news about the new iZ3D drivers! I lent my shutterglasses to a friend, been using my Z800 mostly and I'm unable to view the pics in 3D because they are not 800x600. I'll give them a look when I get my shutterglasses back.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Doesn't Nvidia's Stereo-Program show them in a selected resolution? Example: My desktop is "just" 1024X756 and the immages are 1280X1024 and I can see them without problems.
Another:
Digital Cameras make photos in high resolution, but they can nevertheless be watched in "fullscreen" mode and desktop resolution...

I'd just go to the Nvidia-Stereo-viewer, View, Options and there switch to 800X600 resolution. This should help :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Can anyone post shots taken when using the dragon utility.
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

LukePC1:Doesn't Nvidia's Stereo-Program show them in a selected resolution? Example: My desktop is "just" 1024X756 and the immages are 1280X1024 and I can see them without problems.
Another:
Digital Cameras make photos in high resolution, but they can nevertheless be watched in "fullscreen" mode and desktop resolution...

I'd just go to the Nvidia-Stereo-viewer, View, Options and there switch to 800X600 resolution. This should help
Thanks for the tip LukePC1, it works but some of the pic is missing in stereo mode, kind of looks like its on zoom. Still very impressive considering this was created with the new stereodriver
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

artox wrote:Can anyone post shots taken when using the dragon utility.
Good Idea! Maybe the "old" laser sight and all the stuff work. That'd proviede an acurate aim 8)

@ ohgrant: Allways glad to help :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Sorry I can't upload images quickly atm and am just playing Farcry anaglyph. But I have 0 problems with the aim from the laser sight.

Maybe I misunderstand, but aiming in Farcry works without any problem for me (using the Nvidia lasersight, and Dragon enabled)
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Guess the question I want to ask is - does far cry with post processing effects (dragon) enable for descent convergence.
Another question is - which patch do you need to have to enable hdr, will 1.3 suffice ( i don't have the game on my machine currently to check it out).
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

Hi Artox, I'm not sure about this because I got the information from a friend, but I think you need to change the usable Anisotropic filtering level up in the game to get HDR. To do so you can go to the Bin32 file in your Farcry folder, click on Far Cry configurator, go to video options advanced tab, click the Anisotropic filtering level to highlight, click the customize button and change the AF to 16. Hope this helps.
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

Thanks ohgrant, I'll give it a shot as soon as I have it installed.
venge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by venge »

hello everyone!

could you tell me how to get farcry weorking in stereo on a 8800GTX ???? I'm trying, 3D is perfect but i've got quadratic arficats all around the screen!!! how can i get rid of them... with other games (oblivion, TRL, crysis...) i've removed them forcing supersampling from hnancer; i've tried many combos with farCry but i've still this annoying effect!

here's the screenshot, could someone tell me how can i make this visible??? (the shot's been taken with ALT+F1, and i'm using glasses in DDC VGA glasses mode)

EDIT: got Stereo3D working perfectly with no quad-artifacts, it's necessary to turn r_hdrrendering 1-7 and back to 0 to get stereo working fine; still have the bad screenshot trouble (also with any other game).....

EDIT2: Impossible to take correct screenshots with my 8800... that's it!

bye and thanks
Nvidia 8800GTX 173.68FW + 162.50 Stereo
Windows XP-32
Edimensional wired shutterglasses
SONY CPDE220 17"
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

It also helps to turn off glare in this game. It can be done by clicking on "Configure Far Cry" next to Far Cry shortcut in your Start Menu<Programs<Ubisoft menu, then click on Video Options tab, on "Customize" button below "Very High", and then on Special Effects tab and double-clicking on the Glare value and changing it from 1 to 0.

Glare was what bothered me the most when playing it with S-3D on.
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I had the same type of artifacts at the very top of my screen with my 6600gts, no matter what drivers I installed.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

I just beat Far Cry for the second time after a few years of not playing it--and it took me like 30+ hours of playing (I wanted to enjoy the most out of it and kill every single enemy in the game).

S-3D certainly added more challenge in some levels as the crosshair was not rendered properly without lasersight. I got used to the challenge of aiming right in between the crosshair separation. The depth that S-3D brings is so amazing--it makes my 24" monitor feel like 100+ inches "deep and wide" most of the time!

There was a slight problem with water reflections as my gun would reflect on the water when it was not supposed to. The rocks and stuff in the water would have a slight shift to it. Turning off water reflections was not worth it (ugly and bland) so I left it on anyways and it was not too bad in most cases. The only major gameplay problem was with Cryvision--it added yet another separation to the left (I think), so aiming was off to the left. So, if I needed to use Cryvision (infrared vision), I'd quickly toggle off stereo3D by pressing Ctrl-T and mow down the enemies that cannot see through my smoke grenades filling the hallways.

I did not miss glare at all when I turned it off. It only emulated bloom, which was already done on my CRT monitor which already has "built-in" bloom when turning brightness/contrast high enough. Plus glare made the skin on enemies and monster shine with exceesive light rays (glare), which bothered me a lot when I first played the game in 2-D years ago. Glare must be turned off when playing in S-3D anyways.

I was just glad to finally play Far Cry in S-3D since I missed the opportunity to play it with 66.xx or 7x.xx forceware drivers on a 7900GTX (it did not work with 9x.xx drivers). With the Oblivion AA tweak and my 8800GTX card I was able to play it at 1504x940 @ 120Hz on my Sony GDM-FW900, despite not having any real antialiasing. The jaggies are less noticeable in S-3D because of the separation/focus that smoothes things out overall.

Great game! How about Crysis? :D
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
agniusm
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: FarCry

Post by agniusm »

Hi. I have got far cry running in 3d and it looks awesome. Have one problem thou. When the gun goes over the water (water in the background of gun) it starts doubling or ghosting. Any solution to fix this?
Thanx

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”