engadget 3d article

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

engadget 3d article

Post by Jadentheman »

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/23/3d ... at-counts/

Because no glasses is the answers to 3d taking off! :roll:
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: engadget 3d article

Post by yuriythebest »

Jadentheman wrote:http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/23/3d ... at-counts/

Because no glasses is the answers to 3d taking off! :roll:
yup just stumbled upon this article myself. I guess the problem is not so much that people don't like glasses more than it is the assumption that the glasses are red/blue or will cause headaches or will look like a welders mask (no offense welder). If people got to see iz3d's glasses or even the new nvidia ones and see the price and quality aspects versus the autostereoscopic solutions they'd all get glasses :) However the 19' wazabee autostereoscopic monitor now costs 979.00 USD - that's what an iz3d used to cost a while back. So options are opening up! iz3d still gives you more bang for your buck in my opinion.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

Sigh.. I wish people would quit complaining about the glasses and just give S3D a shot. If they are going to complain about wearing the 3D specs then they shouldn't even own a pair of sunglasses... but I bet they do. If anyone wants to complain about styles it should be the RealD specs. Now those look like something from the 1950's :)

And they aren't goggles either! :evil: I never knew my sunglasses were goggles? Cripes I know people that have sunglasses very similar to iZ3D's styles.
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Znith wrote:Sigh.. I wish people would quit complaining about the glasses and just give S3D a shot. If they are going to complain about wearing the 3D specs then they shouldn't even own a pair of sunglasses... but I bet they do. If anyone wants to complain about styles it should be the RealD specs. Now those look like something from the 1950's :)

And they aren't goggles either! :evil: I never knew my sunglasses were goggles? Cripes I know people that have sunglasses very similar to iZ3D's styles.
Thats what they showed in the picture.

They're not bad, what I hate are the articles that find the glasses that haven't been used in 30 years, and post that as their headline picture. Then the comments on the page are filled with people saying "Eww those glasses are ugly. I'll never wear those" And get turned off from 3D probably forever.

=/
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Yep, 3D needs a PR makeover in the worst way. Every article on new generation 3D should show a picture of a shredded pair of anaglyph glasses with a killer catch phrase. Something like, "throw em away cuz 3D is here to stay". I know...corny. But so much has changed and anaglyph shouldn't even be considered a modern S3D method with all of the new solutions out there.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

pixel67 wrote:Yep, 3D needs a PR makeover in the worst way. Every article on new generation 3D should show a picture of a shredded pair of anaglyph glasses with a killer catch phrase. Something like, "throw em away cuz 3D is here to stay". I know...corny. But so much has changed and anaglyph shouldn't even be considered a modern S3D method with all of the new solutions out there.
yeah totally

pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

LOL! Where did you find that photo? Sums it up right there...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I still don't understand what is so goofy about glasses (maybe because I wear prescription lenses). I can understand if people said they were uncomfortable or inconvenient but why goofy? Its like these people are at a fashion contest or something, so concerned with how they look. The weird part is that people wear sunglasses to look cool, like all those big 70's style specs. But somehow if its 3d related then all of a sudden glasses are for nerds. I don't get it.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

pixel67 wrote:LOL! Where did you find that photo?
you mean like this one? :D

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Please attach the pics to the forum directly and/or upload directly to the gallery.

Where did you find that childhood picture of me?!?

Regards,
Neil
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

3D glasses with extra functionality.

Post by budda »

Hi,

There would be less complaints about 3d glasses if they included an accurate headtracking feature.

It would not have to be overly complicated.

Six degree of freedom tracking (like trackir) could be achieved with a very small wireless camera and two IR leds all located in the frame of the glasses.

Two sets of IR cameras and IR leds are required to make this work.

An IR camera with 'sensor-bar' is necessarily located on the display side facing the viewer.

The other IR camera and 'sensor-bar' is located in the glasses, as mentioned.

The software application compares the positions of the sensor-bar IR dots seen by the respective cameras, and generates a complete 6 DOF experience anywhere in the viewing space.

Yaw and horizontal translation are easily discerned by such a system without needing to be very close to the display.

I imagine this arrangement could be implemented in a future version of freetrack.

Thanks. 8)
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: 3D glasses with extra functionality.

Post by The_Doctor »

Why would headtracking help with anything? For example I wouldn't care for headtracking in glasses. If I wouldn't care for wearing 3d glasses in the first place that wouldn't help with anything. I would want to wear less and have less stuff to deal with.
budda wrote:Hi,

There would be less complaints about 3d glasses if they included an accurate headtracking feature.

It would not have to be overly complicated.

Six degree of freedom tracking (like trackir) could be achieved with a very small wireless camera and two IR leds all located in the frame of the glasses.

Two sets of IR cameras and IR leds are required to make this work.

An IR camera with 'sensor-bar' is necessarily located on the display side facing the viewer.

The other IR camera and 'sensor-bar' is located in the glasses, as mentioned.

The software application compares the positions of the sensor-bar IR dots seen by the respective cameras, and generates a complete 6 DOF experience anywhere in the viewing space.

Yaw and horizontal translation are easily discerned by such a system without needing to be very close to the display.

I imagine this arrangement could be implemented in a future version of freetrack.

Thanks. 8)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”