[WIP] My future S-3D setup

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

[WIP] My future S-3D setup

Post by Freke1 »

I just bought 2 extra 19" CRT screens cheap so I'm gonna get the TripleHead2Go gizmo: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/
to see if it works in 3D. I haven't been able to find out so far from surfing "teh internets". :?
I was thinking "what would be the ultimate 3D setup to build?".
If TripleHead2Go works then would it be possible to make a setup of 3 (or 6) projectors for shutterglasses or polarized glasses?
Add a headtracker like TrackIR:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
and a good soundcard with lots of speakers and You're good to go. It would be expensive but not more than a new designer sofa.
What do You think is the "ultimate" 3D solution? Is projectors the tops?

PS: Anyone know how to build a good Subwoofer? (dimensions/filter). I just bought a Creative 5.1 system but the Sub is not the best.
Thx :)
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I don't know if it works but the frequencies under "supported display modes" on that page are low for shutter glasses. If it really does not work at higher frequencies, it's going to flicker with shutter glasses.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

The analog version runs 3*1024*768 @ 75Hz.

However I cannot tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. Looks the same to me = no flicker. I know ppl say the monitor freq has to be high. I can't tell the difference.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I can't tell any difference between 60hz and more, too, but with Shutterglasses there is a big difference. 30Hz per eye are definite too low, 85/2 Hz are ok for me, but if I concentrate I can tell the difference to 50Hz per eye...

I hope the project works - would be great.
It can work if the monitors are seen as a single one in windows - which seems to be the fact.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

It turns out the 3D driver outrules the game setting when it comes to frequencies (Hz). So setting the game to run with 60Hz didn't change a thing, it still ran with 120Hz which is why I couldn't see a difference. What a bummer. 75Hz is not going to be comfortable. Minimum 100Hz is nessesary.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

But in analog mode are a lot of signals after each other... can't they get some sort of overclocked :idea: :?:
Maybe the specs are more some sort of limitation from the Graphics Card?
Has the adapter to do much? Is it the limiting item?
I found this value
3840 x 1024 / 60 Hz
the frequency seems to change with resolution - looks like you might have to pick a low resolution...

I found a nice thread about it:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/in ... 31016.html
according to it, it works at least with DualHead - but maybe just with 85hz?

DualHead 2go seems to support at least 85hz
2048 x 768 (1024 x 768 x 2) at 60, 75, or 85 Hz
If you need 100hz it might be wise to scan the web bevore buying
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Thx.
TripleHead2Go supports 3*1024*768 @ 85Hz I read which is usable (I hope) on CRT screens.
johnoliver
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re:

Post by johnoliver »

Freke1 wrote:Thx.
TripleHead2Go supports 3*1024*768 @ 85Hz I read which is usable (I hope) on CRT screens.
hi,
I just find out there is a thing call triplehead2go, and am thinking about the same thing :twisted:

~so is it confirmed that this will work with 3 CRT monitors plus a pair of shutterglasses?
>>because if it works, it would be a really nice alternative from the 120hz LCD monitor since CRT monitors are so cheap now :shock:
GPU: nVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Corsair 550W
RAM: 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2, 2.13 GHz
Display: 61'' Samsung 3D-Ready LED DLP TV (HL61A750) + 22'' Samsung 2233rz for PC
Glasses: Nvidia 3D Vision kit
WebDext
One Eyed Hopeful

Re:

Post by WebDext »

Have you tried their mode expander tool for the analoge Triple head 2 go?
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/suppo ... h2go/tmet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe that could increase the supported refresh rate? Also, if you are willing to decrease the resolution somewhat per display you can usually hit higher refresh rates. Just for kicks you could see if it can do 800*600*3*100Hz or better.

Jack
Freke1 wrote:Thx.
Okta

Re: [WIP] My future S-3D setup

Post by Okta »

I dont really get the idea of using head tracking without a HMD. Is the idea of using projectors for a large FOV not enough? I would find it irksome to have a screen scroll around while I turn my head but keep my eyes aimed forward.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Re: [WIP] My future S-3D setup

Post by crim3 »

Okta wrote:I dont really get the idea of using head tracking without a HMD. Is the idea of using projectors for a large FOV not enough? I would find it irksome to have a screen scroll around while I turn my head but keep my eyes aimed forward.
You have to change the views anyway, and it's clear for the success of the trackir, that it's a better way than using your thumb or a mouse.
I think the same than you, but I also understand the advantage.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

Return to “Do it Yourself!”