New Samsung 3D-Ready Plasma Review

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Marksanderson
One Eyed Hopeful

New Samsung 3D-Ready Plasma Review

Post by Marksanderson »

Decent comparison of DLP and Plasma over at http://www.3droundup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Seems like the 42" 720P Samsung Plasmas are being liquidated pretty cheaply. They cost about as much as a 22" Zalman. With the recently posted great deals on Samsung shutterglasses... this could be a pretty good gaming rig.

-- MS
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: New Samsung 3D-Ready Plasma Review

Post by ssiu »

I think it's not the 42" Samsung plasma that is cheap, but the 22" Zalman that is expensive. Zalman should cost around the same as iZ3D to be competitive. iZ3D monitor price had dropped drastically, but Zalman had not dropped their price (as far as I know).

The 42" Samsung plasma has non-square pixels (1024x768 native resolution on a wide-screen panel). It should work fine for movies and consoles, but may be a problem for computer use?
Marksanderson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marksanderson »

re: elongating PC display... I'll let you know. I've just located one locally for $500. It's my Happy New Year's gift to myself.

re: Zalman $$$$ - you're right about THAT! I can't help but wonder what the Viewsonic sell for. I'll bet they put some downward pressure on pricing.

-- MS
alyawn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alyawn »

I have used the Samsung mentioned in the article and I thought it was odd that it had to be in 1024x768 to drive 3D. And yes, it does stretch pixels horizontally, but it was usable.
Marksanderson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marksanderson »

How would you rate the image quality?
alyawn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alyawn »

The quality is great for the price and size. I did notice the ghosting, but as the article says, I don't thing normal folks would. The viewing angle is great, and you get plasma color and brightness. I would recommend to friends interested in getting started with in-home 3D (especially with the Xbox bundle mentioned).
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

Being proud owner of a ps50a476 50" 3d plasma the ghosting has VERY disappointed, i would go so far and bluntly say those plasmas FAIL when it comes to 3D.

There are certainly situations where the ghosting is less prominent, eg. certain 3d pictures/slide shows and similar, but i found 3D gaming with this huge plasma a pain in the *** since it is VERY annoying and confusing while you are gaming.

Also..various 3D movies show the ghosting, depending on contrast/scene of course. Save your money, get a DLP or a projector or whatever, but NOT a 3D plasma.
Marksanderson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marksanderson »

Hmmm... It would seem that gaming might bring out the worst, ghost-wise, in the current crop of plasmas. Anyone else done any gaming on the Sammy Plasmas?

-- MS

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”