[DIY] homemade NVIDIA 3dVision interface code

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
peter64
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [DIY] homemade NVIDIA 3dVision interface code

Post by peter64 »

Hey TheOracle are you using the IZ3D Drivers in QB DirectX with an ATI Video card as thats the only way I can see this working properly. Also what type of display are you running that supports 120hz 3D? Also is the 3D Vision pyramid activator pegging one of your CPU's at 100%? Finally if you are running an ATI card how did you install the pyramid? Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Amazing! This is great news.
magestik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by magestik »

Hey guys.

I was working on this for the oast few mouths. I made a daemon in Python to control Nvidia glasses on Linux. It works for some times now but I have some problem to print image at the right moment so there are flickering (I think, because I don't own a 3D vision Kit myself). So I tried to use GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK, like in libstnvusb ... It'es better but there is still some flickering !

You can check my code here : https://github.com/magestik/Shutters3D-Daemon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's based on libnvstusb. And kunguz helped me at the beginning. But I add some USB code that I got from Usb sniffer. I made a daemon so only one software can use glasses at the time. A library could (theorically) allow many software to connect to the glasses at the same time.
TheOracle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheOracle »

peter64 wrote:Hey TheOracle are you using the IZ3D Drivers in QB DirectX with an ATI Video card as thats the only way I can see this working properly. Also what type of display are you running that supports 120hz 3D? Also is the 3D Vision pyramid activator pegging one of your CPU's at 100%? Finally if you are running an ATI card how did you install the pyramid? Thanks!
I am running an Nvidia GTX 460 on a 120hz CRT through the Edimensional dongle via VGA. The CPU is reading as being utilized at nearly 100% when the activator is on.

Now that I've had the time to consider what's going on, I am beginning to believe that the activator has nothing to do with it. Earlier, when I installed Windows XP, I pulled the NV usb driver for the dongle from Vista 32 bit. This makes windows see the dongle because the light turns green. But there was no way to activate the glasses until I hooked up the ED sync cable between the two.

Now, the interesting part here is that I've always been able to use my ED glasses with the Nvidia driver in Windows 7. As long as it was activated, both the ED glasses and the Nvidia glasses would flicker at the same rate. But, alternately, I was never able to use the nvidia glasses with the IZ3D driver. It just would not work. Nvidia's software protection crap prevents it, you see.

I believe installing the usb driver for the nvidia dongle + the sync cable has bypassed that in WinXP. Because now I can activate the pyramid without Nvidia's 3D Vision software(which doesn't exist in XP), and without Windows 7\Vista(which is a requirement).

I can put the ED activator in interlaced mode and the 3DV glasses + dongle light up. Then I can play bulletstorm in interlaced at 120hz. What I am having trouble with, is firing it up in page flip mode without problems but I think that's related to bulletstorm and XP. Also, Crysis acts like it won't go into 120hz which messes up the sync. But that's my problem, not yours. I'm sure if Crysis would go into the right refresh rate it would have the same results as bulletstorm.

My analysis? XP + Nvidia dongle driver(32 bit) + some form of sync = glasses activated
TomZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TomZ »

kunguz wrote: to use it just type

python usbir.py 115.6

Best regards,
Kaan
Hi Kunguz,

Why 115.6 ? Is it always 115.6 whatever refresh rate i use ? My DLP Projector supports 60, 70, 75 & 85 hz. Which value do i need to use ?

Thx a lot.
pasquatch33
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pasquatch33 »

bombo105 wrote:Still can't get any GUI to show up under win7 64bit. I have V C++ 2005,2008,2010 redistributables installed too. Any ideas?
Was there ever a response to this one? I'm having the same issue, but under Vista 64bit.
zeigerpuppy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeigerpuppy »

also wondering whether anyone has the code for mac,
I have had a look at libnvstusb but it doesn't compile in os x.

would love to get Psychtoolbox to work with this and OS X is the best platform for
timing with this package...
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Two things: First, I'm also in the camp of 'activator not working on windows7'. I'm really yearning to try out iz3d with my nvidia glasses which have lain dormant for half a year due to switching to ati.

Second, good job on the linux front! I'm first and foremost a linux user, and I'm thrilled to see progress (FINALLY) on stereo3d. Any chance for a wine plugin later on?

EDIT: Windows7 64bit. And no, I'm not going buy visual studio to build something myself. Make it compile on cygwin/gnu userland and we'll talk.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Maybe you can compile it with Visual Studio Express which is free ?
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and tried it and it fails to compile with errors mixing DDK and standard libraries. I'll paste some errors.

As far as my searching found out, this is a problem with mixing standard libs and DDK libs. But I can't turn off standard libs, because then it fails to find math, ctype etc. I know nothing about visual studio though, maybe someone has a pointer.
------------------
EDIT:

I made some progress, but not enough. So I can't make it compile on win7, maybe someone else can?

Feel free to ignore the compile output below.

----------------------------------------
1>------ Build started: Project: activator, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1> app.cpp
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(103): error C2065: '_In_' : undeclared identifier
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(103): error C2144: syntax error : 'int' should be preceded by ')'
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(103): error C2448: 'abs' : function-style initializer appears to be a function definition
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(103): error C2059: syntax error : ')'
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(104): error C2065: '_In_' : undeclared identifier
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(104): error C2144: syntax error : 'long' should be preceded by ')'
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(104): error C2448: 'labs' : function-style initializer appears to be a function definition
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\math.h(104): error C2059: syntax error : ')'

AND on VS2010

1>------ Build started: Project: activator, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1> nvidiaShutterGlasses.cpp
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\crtdefs.h(550): error C2065: '_In_opt_z_' : undeclared identifier
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\crtdefs.h(550): error C2143: syntax error : missing ')' before 'const'
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\crtdefs.h(550): warning C4229: anachronism used : modifiers on data are ignored
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\crtdefs.h(550): error C2182: '_invoke_watson' : illegal use of type 'void'
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Did you follow this message about the DDK version to download and the settings to modify in VS :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 102#p44102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Drowhunters message? Yup, but I got the latest DDK. I sorted the ddk error in the end, but ran in to things that were answered on the net as 'incompatiblities in win7' or so. Now a few hours later I realize that I should've posted those errors too, since I've already forgotten what it was. >.<
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Yay, I spent this morning hacking away on this (even though when I got the infernal windows OS, I swore I'd only use it for gaming...) and I managed to compile the activator on win7. For what its worth, most of the problem was in unicode settings (I was knee deep converting it, until I read that I can turn it off in VS...) and some library malarkey.

It however flickers quite a bit, its not exactly gaming grade right now. Well, neither seem the iz3d beta drivers. :) Anyway, theoretically its possible to play in S3d with an ati card via the activator (kudos to the maker!!) and iz3d beta drivers. If someone figures out how to make the signal stable, well, that would be awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peter64
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peter64 »

Rock on!! :) Glad you got it built! I could really do with a peared down version of this that didn't peg one of my cpu cores at 100% utilization with some loop. All I use it for now is turning on the pyramid so I can sync it using the sync cable I made. I wonder how hard it would be to tear all the excess opengl stuff out and just have some code that turned on the pyramid... I'll have to install all this stuff and build on win7 too i guess :) If anyone else would be interested in this shout out.
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

I read about making the sync cable after I got this compiled. Was it hard to make and is it enough to have a stable signal? it needs to sync with a screen right? So I'm still out of luck regarding playing on viewsonic 22" 120hz screen?
peter64
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peter64 »

I use an edimensional dongle with a vga cable and it syncs just fine using the latest iz3d drivers and the sync cable in shutter mode! :)
Right now i'm using a nvidia pc to get the pyramid running but I was hoping to use this code once a version was released that didn't lock my cpu at 100%.
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Edimensionals seem to have vanished from the face of the earth. Or at least I can't find them. Last time I saw one, they were real cheap too. I guess I'll have to keep on looking.

EDIT: Well, they just weren't sold on ebay or amazon anymore (with shipping to finland). BUT, they're really really expensive. Damnit, anyone know where to pick up a vesa sync dongle _only_?
peter64
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by peter64 »

Its under all products mate :) 30 bucks!!! have a good one!
http://www.edimensional.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
by the way in order to make this work you'll need to make a earphone jack to minidin connector.
I suggest you either buy one of these
http://www.edimensional.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and cut the end of and attach an earphone jack to it OR you just buy the connector at your local electronics shop and attach it to an earphone plug.
or you buy the real cable like this one
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/141672/VIDE ... 1G0214.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The materials cost like 5$. If you can get them and solder them...

*edit*
Here's instructions on how to make one...
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... 8067&st=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Thanks! I'll pick one up later this month. The cable can be got from Nvidia for 9$ on the nvidia store.

EDIT: argh. looks like you were right about the cable. Only stores in australia sell it for a decent price, they have no shipping information as to how much it is worldwide. This really is a low point in nvidias customer service. >.< I'll have to buy a soldering iron and solder to do this, raising the price to something like 70€ in total. Meh.
masrelax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by masrelax »

Hello
What about glasses stand alone? I see that everyone has infrared adapter and what really connect to the computer via USB, is the device that finally controls the flicker of the glasses. In my case (and I guess that many) only have a wired (not wireless) pair of glasses which are directly connected to the USB port. Does anyone know if the software, Protocol and commands are same that serve to control the infrared emitter? I am working on a Windows project to run these sunglasses exclusively by software, in combination with OpenGL, to visualize pictures in 3D. The OpenGL part works fine to me . I have ported to OpenGL-ES and work in PADs and Android Phones. I only need to initialize the glasses and send them periodically the orders of on/off each cristal.

The glasses are: http:www.nvidia.comobjectproduct-geforce-3d- ... es-us.html

Thank you in advance
djemergency
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djemergency »

Can somebody compile a windows 7 32bit version? Thank you.
userjiaoyou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by userjiaoyou »

asdfqwer wrote:Compiled version of the activator:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jqw3ncxktmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would somebody kindly enough to upload the file again ? (or please send me the file to user22 at gmail.com ) Thanks a lot. The above link no longer works.
Beamer3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Beamer3D »

Hello to all

Been around for a half year search for this solution!

Can someone please create a windows 7 64bit version and send it to me fehnis37 at googlemail.com? It Währe really nice of you've heard so many things tried and could be the best solution be sorry my english is not good coming from Germany thanks in advance ;)
partron
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by partron »

userjiaoyou wrote: Would somebody kindly enough to upload the file again ?
activator3d.win7.rar - 877.2 Kb
http://www2.zshare.ma/83u7opeqspcs

How fix pegging one of CPU's at 100% ?
Flint Eastwood
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flint Eastwood »

Hello Guys,
I try to compile this old code of that 3D Vision Activator.
I'm proud so far, that I managed all dependencies and lifted the code up from SFML 1.6 to the modern 2.6.1 .
The app renders a cube in OpenGL to an Offscreen buffer, and then shows left and right view to the Onscreen window.
Crazy thing is, I have a strange distortion of the cube, and I can't tell where it comes from.
Does anyone have a clue on this?
2024-03-24.png

EDIT:
Never mind. I found the problem in "glDrawArrays(GL_QUADS, 16, 24);" . Second value is not the last vertex, but the number of vertexes to draw.
24 vertexes would mean to draw vertexes, that are not defined.
So it should be "glDrawArrays(GL_QUADS, 8, 8);" and "glDrawArrays(GL_QUADS, 16, 8);" if you want to draw 2 quads with the same color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryzen 7800X3D // 32GB RAM // GTX 1070 // 3D-Vision glasses + Asus PG248Q // Win10 Home 64bit 22H2 // Nvidia Driver v546.29

Return to “Do it Yourself!”