Nreal Air AR Glasses Micro-OLED for 3d?

treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Nreal Air AR Glasses Micro-OLED for 3d?

Post by treeeddd »

I saw this awhile back, but didn't think much of it until now. I seems as though this can be used a secondary display that can be use to display SBS 3d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ol2vC27dk

Looks like it's for a mac because it has compatibility support for it. it doesn't say anything about PC usage, but it uses USB-C DP output. This would be pretty awesome if it can run 3d games just by SBS output to the glasses.

What do you think? a viable option for 3d gaming on a big screen? or 3d glass-less 15" displays?

It's also isn't super expensive, but it's certainly lacking software support as it's still in the early stages.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Nreal Air AR Glasses Micro-OLED for 3d?

Post by whyme466 »

Note that Nreal web site does NOT indicate any PC interoperability - it only mentions iOS and console devices. An Nreal adapter may be required, with this undefined interface. Since it is relatively cheap, you could buy one and share your experiences with Migoto and geo-11 display options.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

It works well on PC to play 3Dgames, we have discussed it in Discord with a few users who have it. It will be problably my next 3D "monitor"
https://discord.gg/j6m7uCc4
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

@Chtiblue - Better than your C6, with interleaved 4K display?
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Since it is relatively cheap, you could buy one and share your experiences
I mean it's not like a $1k monitor, still it somewhat within reach for the average consumer. It's cool too see that the technology is finally getting to a point where it's going to give a better experience than what came before it. I think AR is about to take off in the near future, so bigger companies are going to make better products for the end user.

Right now, this is product is probably too expensive for what it offers. I'd probably want something better, but will wait until something exist. Idk, VR headsets is another option too for more gaming support.

I'll wait it out for now, I got my 3D fix with my current setup in the odyssey G7. Just upgraded my pc with a 2080ti, so finally I can get the most out of it.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

whyme466 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:36 pm @Chtiblue - Better than your C6, with interleaved 4K display?
I don't know as I don't have it and I doubt it but reports are pretty good as it's Oled, better resolution than VR headset because of Lower FOV (46), very light portability.
So for the moment it's the better 3D hardware I see to replace my LG C6V when it will die. And till then AR Glasses will be improve with HDR, better res & FOV (tech is already showed at CES2023)
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

treeeddd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:18 pm [I'll wait it out for now, I got my 3D fix with my current setup in the odyssey G7. Just upgraded my pc with a 2080ti, so finally I can get the most out of it.
So is there some reason the 4K version of the G7 won't work with 3D Vision?
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

Chtiblue wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:33 pm It works well on PC to play 3Dgames, we have discussed it in Discord with a few users who have it. It will be problably my next 3D "monitor"
For those of us not on discord, is the Nreal detected as a 3D Vision ready monitor, i.e. will work with anything our normal 3D vision monitors with? Or were they occasionally able to get a game working with it? Is it recognized as a 3D vision monitor? Thanks!
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

greg02 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 am
Chtiblue wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:33 pm It works well on PC to play 3Dgames, we have discussed it in Discord with a few users who have it. It will be problably my next 3D "monitor"
For those of us not on discord, is the Nreal detected as a 3D Vision ready monitor, i.e. will work with anything our normal 3D vision monitors with? Or were they occasionally able to get a game working with it? Is it recognized as a 3D vision monitor? Thanks!
Not 3Dvision but SBS monitor so it works with any Geo-11 Fix
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:05 am Rokid and TCL also have a similar product, the following video does a comparison
https://youtu.be/pV2qnS5lmMo

some negative reviews on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/ ... filter-bar
From users having them both, the Rokif is less appreciate.
TheBigDogma has one nreal air and is pretty happy with it for 3D, at least 2 others users on discord too

Difficult to find a product witout negative reviews on Amazon but it's often constructive to read those ;)
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

So is there some reason the 4K version of the G7 won't work with 3D Vision?
It might, the pixel refresh is the as fast as on the G7. The 4k might be an issue as it may take longer to refresh a fullscreen leading to crosstalk at the top and bottom. Fortunately, the 3d vision glasses can be tweaked to sync it to the monitor. It took me a long time figuring out the G7 and getting it to work, like the 3d glasses doesn't sync up perfectly and it may need a couple of restarts to get a good 3d image. I'm just getting back into 3d gaming, so I realized setting the right convergence will be needed to get the best 3d out of the G7.

I definitely want to try out the 4k neo G7, but I'm waiting for the price to come down by alot. It was on sale for black friday.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

Aside from adjusting the glasses refresh rate is the G7 recognized as a 3D vision monitor because it has Gsync? Or was it just a matter of changing the code? If its not too complicated I will pick up the 4K version and try to get it working and report back. In a few words can you say what you had to do to get it recognized as a 3D vision monitor? I am not overly concerned about the glasses timing or a little crosstalk.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Aside from adjusting the glasses refresh rate is the G7 recognized as a 3D vision monitor
So yeah, you pretty much need to get it to recognize as a 3d vision display by ways of EDID override, The CRU tool will allow you to change the monitor ID to a 3d vision one. NVtimingsED will have a list of monitor IDs to choose from. That should be all to get it to change with the stereoscopic setting to be recognized as a 3d vision monitor, the nvtimingsED software only works with the monitor ID change in CRU tools.

I'm not sure how the 4k is going to work, it was never supported in 3d vision, so you'll need to figure out how to add a 4k profile in NVtimingsED to get the 3d glasses to have it timed correctly. Your pretty much going to do your own troubleshooting, as I'm not familiar with the neo G7 in getting it set up.

But for the G7, I helped a fellow user get there's setup in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=23330

I had issues with the glasses drifting off sync over time, but I solved it with a different EDID from another monitor. Just follow that thread, it will get you familiar with the process of getting it set up. I got the G7 working as good s any 3d vision monitor, and it's quite awesome with 32 inch screen and better colors. In the end, I didn't even have to play around with timing of the glasses with nvtimingsED. I had to fine tune it though to get the right matching refresh rate with alot of trial and error.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

I decided to go with the Nreal glasses... seems unlikely I'd be able to get the 4K G7 working if no one else has. Can anyone point me to the SBS enabled firmware that is being discussed in the reddit... there was talk that someone posted the firmware file, then others said you had to get an invite to a seperate discord channel.

Thoughts so far on the Nreal glasses if anyone is interested in another opinion: Seems high quality item... image is nice, glasses are extremely light. So far having to spend a lot of time jumping through hoops digging around on discord, there forums to get the SBS enabled firmware. Not sure how much more hassle I want to go through. One big hassle is the 3 foot USB cord that you have to use. Your going to be anchored within 3 feet of the USBC port on your video card.

Lots of hurdles to jump through seems like its not ready for *our* prime time unless you really want to spend time and energy fighting with them to get the SBS enabled firmware (i.e. get an invite to their special developer discord etc). After two hours of Japanese forums, digging around on the reddit, being that I already have a high quality 3D VIsion set up I'm bout ready to pack it up and send it back.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

greg02 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 am I decided to go with the Nreal glasses... seems unlikely I'd be able to get the 4K G7 working if no one else has. Can anyone point me to the SBS enabled firmware that is being discussed in the reddit... there was talk that someone posted the firmware file, then others said you had to get an invite to a seperate discord channel.

Thoughts so far on the Nreal glasses if anyone is interested in another opinion: Seems high quality item... image is nice, glasses are extremely light. So far having to spend a lot of time jumping through hoops digging around on discord, there forums to get the SBS enabled firmware. Not sure how much more hassle I want to go through. One big hassle is the 3 foot USB cord that you have to use. Your going to be anchored within 3 feet of the USBC port on your video card.

Lots of hurdles to jump through seems like its not ready for *our* prime time unless you really want to spend time and energy fighting with them to get the SBS enabled firmware (i.e. get an invite to their special developer discord etc). After two hours of Japanese forums, digging around on the reddit, being that I already have a high quality 3D VIsion set up I'm bout ready to pack it up and send it back.
It really isn't too difficult. All of the information you need can be found on the 3D Vision discord (https://discord.com/channels/5157038646 ... 4616288259) - search nreal air

...and the depth3d Discord (https://discord.com/channels/3054724039 ... 3977404416) - where there is even a dedicated channel to AR glasses, mostly related to Nreal Air.

Lastly, I have a 15' USB-C to C 10 GBS cable capable of delivering 4K signals that I purchased from Amazon - works great.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

thebigdogma wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:11 pm
greg02 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 am I decided to go with the Nreal glasses... seems unlikely I'd be able to get the 4K G7 working if no one else has. Can anyone point me to the SBS enabled firmware that is being discussed in the reddit... there was talk that someone posted the firmware file, then others said you had to get an invite to a seperate discord channel.

It really isn't too difficult. All of the information you need can be found on the 3D Vision discord (https://discord.com/channels/5157038646 ... 4616288259) - search nreal air

...and the depth3d Discord (https://discord.com/channels/3054724039 ... 3977404416) - where there is even a dedicated channel to AR glasses, mostly related to Nreal Air.

Lastly, I have a 15' USB-C to C 10 GBS cable capable of delivering 4K signals that I purchased from Amazon - works great.
Well for anyone reading this... first of all, I have what may be the exact same high spec USBC 15' cable....purchased for the Quest 2 and works great with it. It won't work with the Nreal glasses. 2nd of all... the discord 'channel' is a massive sh*thole of noisy pigeons bantering back and forth, after an hour of rummaging through the months long conversation looking for the bin file I did not find it. My impression is that the Nreal hit, the (beta) SBS enabled bin firmware file remains locked away in developer hell, and that they probably don't really want to release it and/or make SBS easily accessible to the general public.
Last edited by greg02 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

thebigdogma wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:11 pm Lastly, I have a 15' USB-C to C 10 GBS cable capable of delivering 4K signals that I purchased from Amazon - works great.
Link? Or name of cable? We all went through this exact same thing with the Quest 2... need a super high end 4K capable USBC 10 GB blah blah blah, I have the exact same cable. The difference is the Nreal requires a USB 4* cable which delivers not only the high data rate but also powers the Nreal glasses. I'm pretty sure there is no 15' version of that cable. Its a Thunderbolt or USB4 cable.. *not* the same as what is needed for the Quest 2, which has an internal battery. No battery in the Nreal glasses....needs a cable that delivers the signal and power, i.e. USB 4*. Looked on Amazon all I'm seeing are super pricey 3 foot ones identical to the one that came with the Nreal glasses.
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

greg02 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:48 pm
thebigdogma wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:11 pm Lastly, I have a 15' USB-C to C 10 GBS cable capable of delivering 4K signals that I purchased from Amazon - works great.
Link? Or name of cable? We all went through this exact same thing with the Quest 2... need a super high end 4K capable USBC 10 GB blah blah blah, I have the exact same cable. The difference is the Nreal requires a USB 4* cable which delivers not only the high data rate but also powers the Nreal glasses. I'm pretty sure there is no 15' version of that cable. Its a Thunderbolt or USB4 cable.. *not* the same as what is needed for the Quest 2, which has an internal battery. No battery in the Nreal glasses....needs a cable that delivers the signal and power, i.e. USB 4*. Looked on Amazon all I'm seeing are super pricey 3 foot ones identical to the one that came with the Nreal glasses.
Well, I have been playing with this cable for a few weeks now and it is exactly what I decribed - didn't take much effort on my part to find, TBH.

Here you go... Not sure what you consider to be "super-pricey," but this is it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WYHCX76?ps ... ct_details
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

These 6.6 foot cables work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VLL568?ps ... ct_details
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

And the firmware can be found here (MTBS will not allow it to be attached here.)

https://discord.com/channels/5157038646 ... 1981794304

Posted by myyuan43.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

Took awhile I finally got the invite to the test channel and got access to the bin and the SBS enabled firmware up and going. Thanks for the cable links, I did not see anything like those in my search, only extremely short ones for alot more. And yep I see that with my existing Quest 2 cable it says "not recommended for charging while in use", whereas the ones you linked say 100W charging.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

hmm, yes. I think 3d gaming works best on vr headsets right now. I'd definitely would like to have a higher resolution, 4k panels in each eye. Even a 4090 couldn't drive that all full resolution. I'm not sold on these AR glasses yet, software support is very lacking, and narrow field of view.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”