RTX4080 - drivers 551.23 - 3DVision gear

Aquarank
One Eyed Hopeful

RTX4080 - drivers 551.23 - 3DVision gear

Post by Aquarank »

Hello All,

Is stereo gaming still possible in 2024 with this setup ?

Windows 11
Intel i9-14900K
RTX4080 - GRD drivers 551.23 WHQL (2024-01-24)
3DVision 2 gear : pyramid + glasses + BenQ XL2720T monitor

If YES, HOW ?

What I did that DIDN'T WORK :
1. Clean install (after using DDU in safe mode) of the latest Nvidia Game ready display drivers (551.23)
2. Use 3D Fix Manager (https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2017/05/3 ... nager.html) to install the Stereoscopic 3D driver 425.31
( 3D Fix Manager says "All stereo driver components installed" )
3. Download the geo-11 fix for "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt" and copy the files to the game folder (The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\bin\x64)
4. Edit d3dxdm.ini to change "direct_mode = sbs" to "direct_mode = nvidia_dx9"
5. Double-click witcher3.exe

This activates the green light on the monitor (-> monitor is set to Stereo3D mode, yeah! :) ) but the pyramid stays OFF (no green light at all) and after ~10 seconds of nothingness there's a message
"The Witcher 3 has crashed".

Note that if I skip step 4 (i.e leave "direct_mode = sbs") it works but I get 2 side by side images (and I don't want this)

Of course, if I try to launch the game via 3D Fix Manager, I get
"Error: Failed to launch game in stereoscopic 3D mode as your currently installed video driver is not compatible to stereo 3D for DirectX 11 games."

Also note that the 3D Vision preview tool ("C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /show) works OK if the monitor is left in Stereo3D mode (green light on) by previous game crash:
--> After a ~15 secs wait the pyramid does turn ON and the glasses are in-sync. 8-)
...but this same tool does not work if the monitor isn't already in Stereo3D mode :
--> The pyramid does turn on but NOT the monitor Stereo3D mode, so I get the red overlay "Warning: attempt to run Stereoscopic 3D in a non-stereo display mode, please change etc."

I then tried to install the latest stereo-friendly DX11 display driver (452.06) using 3D Fix Manager but it failed (system / hardware not supported)
Anyway, geo-11 is supposed to be display-driver independent, and works OK in sbs mode so I guess the problem comes from the 3D Vision Driver, required for the nvidia_dx9 mode.
Unfortunately this mode seems to be my only hope for dx11 games as I couldn't install display driver 452.06 (needed to enable nvidia_dx11 mode in geo-11)

I'd be very happy if someone had an idea of what's possibly wrong here.

Is it possible to run the 452.06 display drivers with a RTX4080 ?
If YES, is it possible on Windows 11 or do I need Windows 10 ?

Of course, I tried another dx11 game (Kingdom Come - Deliverance, after installing its 3DMigoto fix) :
--> The monitor activates its Stereo3D mode, but the pyramid stays black (=off)
And the 1920x1080 image looks very pixelated (like a zoom of a 960x540 image) and isn't stereo.
Again, this game also works fine in sbs mode.

- Should I keep faith in having 3D Vision work on my setup ? :roll:
- Should I rather try to play these games with a VR Headset connected to my PC ? (would this be better than 3D Vision ?)

I've been playing games in stereo since year 2000 (yes, before 3D Vision) and I can't go back to cyclop mode now. :|

Thanks in advance, if anyone can help.
UnityBeing
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: RTX4080 - drivers 551.23 - 3DVision gear

Post by UnityBeing »

Hi,

Firstly follow this instructions carefully:

1. DDU with internet offline.

2. Make sure to have a manually downloaded latest driver for your 4080 gpu, the official one.

3. Go to 3D Fix Manager and in drivers install the 3D vision drivers. Make sure u install that before anything.

4. Go to Nvidia 3D settings tab and scroll down to 3D depth and slide the slider to max - u gotta maybe repeat a few times until it stays at 100%.

5. Open Nvidia panel and in 3D stereo settings make sure depth is at 100% and your monitor is detected.

6. Now this is where it gets complicated - not all games work in 40 series in dx9. I've been able to find workarounds to many but not Deliverance as I don't even recall if I own it. So best you write down games u want to play in 3D that are known and well popular - after that I'll see my repository if I got a workaround geo11 fix. Thans to Dave for geo11 and shaderhackers in helixmod.

7. If you wish to test 3D beforehand pls open a 3D jps image and see if it works in either powerdvd, or nvidia's own app.

8. It will take time and effort to learn how to make games work with 40 series - but I've provided a few working 40 series fixes by helixmod.

That said you need latest 4080 gpu nvidia driver, not drivers before your 4080's release.

And 80% of unreal 4 games work with Losti's uni fix. geo11 only old versions work but it ain't easy to work around to make it work - u need to learn first. Also game ready latest drivers work fine, u don't need studio drivers.

Go here: viewtopic.php?t=26746

and Here: viewtopic.php?t=29076

ignore the griefer 3Dnovice, he ain't contributing at all for solutions - he just attacks and breaks spirits. If you need files in second link I provided helixmod database 2022 on google drive, its clean.

I'm willing to help you enjoy 3D vision locked ecosystem. Just ask and reply back. Good luck.
“3D Vision did preserver in the hands of passionate geeks and lost support in the hands of the overbearing nerds” - UnityBeing
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Aquarank wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:44 pm 4. Edit d3dxdm.ini to change "direct_mode = sbs" to "direct_mode = nvidia_dx9"
5. Double-click witcher3.exe
Ah, sorry about this. As someone told me some time later, the v0.6.182 version of geo-11 has trouble with nvidia_dx9 mode in The Witcher 3. Get the dll files (only the dll files!) from the Crisis Core FFVII fix: https://masterotaku.s3.amazonaws.com/Cr ... o11_fix.7z
Which uses v0.6.164. And replace the dll files from the TW3 fix.
Tell me if it works. If it does, I may update the fix to revert to that geo-11 version.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

6. Now this is where it gets complicated - not all games work in 40 series in dx9. I've been able to find workarounds to many but not Deliverance as I don't even recall if I own it. So best you write down games u want to play in 3D that are known and well popular - after that I'll see my repository if I got a workaround geo11 fix. Thans to Dave for geo11 and shaderhackers in helixmod.
yeah really complicated to test several geo11 versions until it works :-)

Man, boy, stop with this HACK FIX crap and the secrecy and announcing HACK FIXES....that really pisses me off when I see what's behind all the work that makes a real FIX and what's in it and you come along, take it, destroy it, mix a few files together, test known things and pass it off as a great innovation that then starts on 40 series but the fix itself doesn't work.

All you do is something basic! nothing special! Please tell this for the others for a game you "HACK FIXED" all you need is here

viewtopic.php?p=194156#p194156

Next to the common things this can help to kick in 3D emitter (full_screen=2) but also full_screen=1 may be 0 and on topp ALT+TAB or ALT + ENTER twice. Thats all not new. If you have found a way thats working for you WHY the hell you dont announce things you did and hijack shader fixes and kill things there by stupid mixing of files?

You wher BANNED from our 3DV discord several times for some reason! You again here start hijack fixes and pronounce your self as the healer of the world for 3D.....

You announced a game working in DX12 with migoto, that is technically impossible, and you corrected your post or deleted, not sure.
You called MEA FIX was mine, thats not true.

viewtopic.php?t=29349

"Enjoy. Thanks to this legends https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2012/11/d ... dings.html
and my own geo 11 files"

YOUR OWN GEO11 files ?? LOL !!!!

You have several geo11 files from several versions and test it against the games, thats all !!! Cool to do this, thanks for this and its ok to share this information but PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE stop your rage against others because they have say a negative things about you and PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE stop announcing your testings as HACKED FIXES/NEW FIXES that on top are off main functions because you have no idea what ini to replace/file to add to keep main functions without destroying the fix that can also be kept!

THIS IS SO LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!! “3D Vision did preserver in the hands of passionate geeks and lost support in the hands of the overbearing nerds” - UnityBeing

So you are the passionate geek ..... lost support in the hands of the overbearing nerds ==> Me? ..... no words, really, anything else would not end good... ...
I think you're suffering from a bit of a loss of reality and should be brought back down to earth
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

So just to share my two cents on this issue, UnityBeing you're doing so many questionable things at so many levels:

1) Inducing people into confusion that there's some fix method or driver in some form of magical mix that will allow anyone to play games in 3d with 40XX cards. There is not outside of dx9 which is extremely limited. True shaderhackers a lot smarter than you and me haven't managed to make it work, stop embarrasing yourself.
2) Storing and distributing fixes that are not yours in your google drive.
3) Claiming that you have some kind of geo11 files that have specific effect that help you on this.
4) Promoting strange conspiracy theories were people are conspiring againt 3d vision users.

You're being extremely dishonest with 3d vision users which are looking to make games work in 3d and you give them some kind of hope that by hacking files, fixes and/or drivers, it will magically happen, even DX12 games!. And you're being very damaging to true shaderhackers and the community overall by manipulating their fixes at your own criteria with questionable methods or consent from their owners.

If you want to help, do like all shaderhackers did, learn to program and shaderhack, help Flugan with his wrapper or any others trying to find real solutions to make games work in 3d vision on newer hardware, but what you're doing is not helping at all but exactly the opposite.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
Aquarank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aquarank »

WHAO guys! By reading this I realize the damage this community has suffered...
Thanks for your posts, I will react to each one here:

@UnityBeing:
Thanks for your suggestions, but the steps you've listed are the ones I wrote that DID NOT WORK.
And the 100% depth thing didn't change anything.

Before posting I've been through the forum and saw the links you provide.
I didn't try all the games, as I feel it would be more constructive to first have The Witcher 3 work fine, since on helixmod bo3b mentioned
"Start with a game that is known good, known working. Witcher 3 is a good choice"
It would be a proof that my system can run geo-11 correctly, and I would then move on to other games knowing that if they fail it's not because of my hardware not responding to geo-11, but rather due to some settings I'd have to dig into.

@masterotaku:
Thanks for the suggestion!
I replaced the 3 dlls (d3d11.dll, d3dcompiler_47.dll and nvapi64.dll) in the The Witcher 3 x64 folder with the ones from the Crisis FFVII fix :

The Witcher 3 DID NOT CRASH ! :D
My monitor turned its stereo mode ON (green led on)
but...
The pyramid did not turn on :cry:
so the game wasn't stereo.
Moreover, the picture gamma was very high while rotating the camera, but normal when still or moving straight.
I tried to set 3D Vision to anaglyphe mode, and it worked but with that same gamma glitch again.

So 2 problems here:
1. the pyramid not kicking in
2. the high gamma when rotating the camera.

I precise the game is set to fullscreen (1920x1080), and "full_screen=2" is set in d3dx.ini

@Losti:
As one of the best shaderhackers (thanks for everything you've done here!) I can totally understand your frustration when you feel your work is being spoiled by people that are far from mesuring the hard work involved in keeping things running for this community.
I made a little fix a few years ago (Legend of grimrock 2) and I can say that if things work it's not because of some magical mix of files taken from here and there.

------

If someone here is willing to help me get things working, here is what happens when I double click a JPS image :

Nvidia stereo viewer launches in a window. The monitor activates its Stereo mode, but not the pyramid.
--> No stereo image.

If I switch the viewer to full screen (Ctrl-V), the pyramid activates but the monitor DEACTIVATES its Stereo mode!
--> still no stereo image.

Back to windowed mode, if I drag'n drop AT LEAST 2 jps files to the viewer, select them in the window that opens and click "start" THEN I get a fullscreen image (slideshow with spacebar) with the monitor stereo mode on AND the pyramid activated. :shock:
At this time, it's the only way I found to have both devices activate their stereo mode. And this really puzzles me.
It shows that my hardware and system is 3D Vision capable. But it is very capricious.
The problems come from the software / drivers, and this is not necessarily good news since it could take a lot of time to solve.
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

Aquarank
Thank you for your contribution and statement.

Please note that DX9 mode in GEO11 is discontinued since Bo3B disappeared. So many games don't work and there are only a hand full of GEO11 versions to test that may works or not with DX9 mode.
Aquarank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aquarank »

Oh I didn't know Bo3b disappeared :(
I hope he is ok...

If the DX9 mode is therefore discontinued in geo-11, I guess I should abandon my hopes of playing in 3DVision with my setup, as there is very little probability that a game I want will be supported.

As thing are working in SBS mode (didn't try TAB yet), would I be able to play games in a VR headset (or on a 3DTV) ?
Which one is best ? Any suggestion ?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Aquarank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aquarank »

@3DNovice:
Thanks for your insights, much appreciated.

Since I've been a stereo gamer for 24 years, I know that manually configuring things is often required.
And concerning The Witcher 3, I can confirm I have the settings you mentioned (no vSync in game menu, 120 fps, no AA ...)

I think the main problem is that my pyramid never kicks in. :(
Of course I tried to uninstall the Stereoscopic 3D driver and reinstalled it again using 3D Fix Manager, and I did use DDU to clean my system before doing my stereo tests as I didn't want leftovers from my previous display driver to cause any problems (I just had 546.33 DCH WHQL installed after Windows 11 setup when I build this new PC)

I still have my OLD PC (windows 7) I can use to play old games in stereo, but I wanted better performances and more recent games.
But I'm starting to realize this may be too much to hope for. :roll:

I had the "DCH driver stalls" fix already set, but not the d3d8.dll tip to restore the Nvidia Stereo3D test - thanks.
However this test was already running fine - but of course without stereo (= frames are not fast-switching at 120 Hz) because of the pyramid not turning on. Also note that the Nvidia configuration assistant tells me the 3D Vision driver is not installed. So the d3d8.dll tip didn't change anything.
Again, the only way to have the pyramid turn on is by using the NVIDIA 3D Vision viewer (as described at in my 2nd post.)
So I know the pyramid works and the driver is functionnal, but there is something missing for every other stereo program. :|

I don't have the space for a projector, but I'll have a look at the AR glasses you're pointing me too, thank you.
However I must admit I'm not very happy with this solution (or any VR headset) because I like to play couch-coop games (the best being the Trine serie) with the kids.
A 3DTV is probably the best solution.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aquarank »

@3DNovice:
I tried to install the nv3dvisionusb.driver from your 2nd link. I got a "Operation succeeded" message.
But the pyramid still didn't activate when I launched the Nvidia test (or a game)

I then tried to uninstall the device from the control panel (with the option to remove the drivers activated) and tried the 3dvisioncontrollerdriver.exe for quadro cards. Installation worked, but no better result... :(
It still activates with the NVIDIA image viewer though, like previous USB driver did.

I then tried to switch the USB port from USB 2 to USB 3 - without any result.

I then tried a brand new pyramid (I had another one, still in its original box).
And even tried with the two pyramids simultaneously :mrgreen: (if you want to know, when using the NVIDIA image viewer only one pyramid activates at a time, but if I unplug a pyramid the other one turns itself on)

Device manager does not show anything special. No warnings, and the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D USB controller is here.
Driver version is 6.14.13.9041 (28.11.2017)

I have to mention that after a few minutes of having a dim green glow, the light on the pyramid flashes 5 times between an intense green luminosity and the dim luminosity, and then turns itself off (no light at all). On my previous setup, the pyramid was ALWAYS green (with high luminosity when gaming, of course), but never OFF.
However, on this new PC, trying to launch a game before or after the pyramid is totally off does not matter : NVIDIA image viewer is still the only program I have that can wake the pyramid and make it shine at its full intensity.

My Windows power options are set to maximum performance.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Aquarank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Aquarank »

@3DNovice:
Thanks again for all these tips.

I found some time to do some more tests.
Among which removing my secondary monitor (a Samsung Odyssey G95NC) from the equation.
It didn't change anything: the BenQ XL2720T and the 3D Vision pyramid behaviors remained the same.
However, when I tried to activate the G95NC back, it could not get the HDMI signal and it got removed from the NVcontrol panel (!)
The only way to use this monitor again was to unplug the DisplayPort from the XL2720T and reboot.
Then the G95NC would be used, but as soon as I'd plug the DisplayPort from the XL2720T back in, the HDMI signal for the G95NC would be lost again.

(I'm getting a bit tired of all this... :roll: )

To get both monitors back simultaneously, I had to set the G95NC to 1920x1080, and then plug the XL2720T DisplayPort.
Which made the G95NC to 7680x2160 and the XL2720T to 1920x1080. Don't ask me why.

Then I noticed something new : the pyramid now stays dimly on, just like with my previous (dual screen too) PC. It does not turn off again after some time ! But unfortunately this didn't change its behavior when the screen enters stereo mode. The pyramid stays dimly green...

Anyway, I will probably switch to a new installation with Windows 10 to continue testing. I have to see if its Windows 11 that prevents the pyramid from working as it should.

But for now, to answer your points, I can confirm The Witcher 3 was set in full screen mode (not border-less window), and I did try the "Disable Fullcreen optimizations" option. Of course force_stereo=2 was set in d3dx.ini, and I'm not using a pirated version. It's the 4.04 GOG version of the game with the most recent geo-11 fix (with the 3 geo-11 dlls taken from the Crisis Core FFVII fix as suggested by masterotaku). And I didn't forget to change direct_mode = nvidia_dx9 (and save!) in d3dxdm.ini, and I used the correct witcher3.exe in "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\bin\x64", so not the one in the x64_dx12 folder.

I'm glad you're able to play the game on W10 with the old drivers, but I won't be able to use them with my 4080. :|
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”