3D Vision-compatible display database

3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

3D Vision-compatible display database

Post by 3DJ »

A while ago, I started compiling a list of monitors from different sources so I can compare specs and make an educated decision on what to upgrade to.
So here's what I've got so far. Let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

Full database: https://airtable.com/shrX1qxslbglaHoZE

Add missing monitors here: https://airtable.com/shriW8BR6rBWqSQh9

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the PG278QR is the clear winner, but they're hard to come by and expensive, so you could consider other alternatives like the Acer XB272 (240hz 2D + 144hz 3D).
Last edited by 3DJ on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3D Vision-compatible display database

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terintamel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by terintamel »

The Asus VG248qez is cheaper. I bought one recently and it works perfectly fine. Mfg date is June 2021 on it.

Bought mine earlier last year for $149.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/632 ... ng-monitor
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Nice list, the good thing is that some of these older 3d vision monitors can be found cheaper than the newer gaming monitors. What sucks is that it's still a TN display and max size is 27 inch. Fortunately I found that the samsung G7 works partially, which it can't maintain 3d glasses sync for long. Sometimes it can if the monitor restarts just right with the glasses. Still, the 3d image is nice on the G7. I still requires tinkering the 3d glasses to the monitor, so you'll need to be familiar with that process.

Gaming monitors are getting alot faster now, to the point it's possible for other types of panels to display 3d vision without crosstalk. I'm hoping in 2023 we will see a monitor that's is fast enough to make 3d vision work. The new QD-oled monitors are suppose to get bright, but lack the BFI for getting 3d vision working better. Some new IPS monitors in 2023 will be fast enough, but it will still need BFI to get good 3d vision. The thing is these new monitors just keep getting more and more expensive though.

It looks like 3D is making a comeback in a glass free design, still it really isn't great if the screens are small. If that's the way moving forward, please make work on larger displays without making it out of reach for mass adaption.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:40 pm The easiest source for you to consult, would have been the list by John105 I mentioned here, there was a thread on the old forums about it.
He extracted the list from the Nvidia driver.
There are also some 3rd Party glasses/emitter that are knock offs of the Nvidia glasses/emitter.
viewtopic.php?t=25411

Also, on Nvidia's FAQ site, there is mention of Nvidia contacting manufacturers to have them continue making a few 3D Vision monitors for their Quadro users, I posted about it here.

viewtopic.php?t=26012

I think that the VG24QE is one such model, it has been steadily available @$200-250, but is only 1080p and no G-Sync. Though there were G-Sync kits for this version, that a user could buy and install. I believe that bo3b installed the kit on his.
Though not on the list, it has been in stock for a long enough time, that stock should have been depleted. thus, leading me to assume that it is still being manufactured. If anyone buys one, please tell us the manufacture date that is listed.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG248QE-192 ... H7G0/?th=1
I already merged that Excel XLSX spreadsheet into the database (although PNP IDs without known models might be hidden from the view above because there's no practical way to search for them online unless done manually)
I think I also included the new models from the FAQ but I might have to add a disclaimer specifying they only support Quadro/3D Vision Pro, if anything.
The other stuff looks intersting, I'll check it out! 👍
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

used Sony hmz-t3w
I bought this as well, a long time go. It had too much lag for playing games, so I sold it right away. I was interested in other forms of headmounted displays, but I'm waiting for the resolution to get good enough and at consumer prices.

Just to let you guys know, today I got the odyssey G7 working without sync issues. All I did was reinstalled a clean windows 10 1809, and the 3d vision drivers. I set up my timing for the 3d glasses and didn't experience any sync drift with the 3d glasses to the G7. The only issue it has, is it needs to get sync'ed at the start, so you may need to restart the 3d mode a couple of times until you get a good 3d image sync'ed up.

Also, the convergence is needed to get setup for each game in order to get the best 3d out of the G7. So I would highly recommend the 32 inch odyssey G7 for an upgraded 3d vision display over the traditional TN panels. It somewhat affordable now, as it's already over 2 years old but still very popular today as a gaming monitor. Also, if you don't mind having to do some tinkering in order to get it set up. There's a thread on here that I help a fellow member getting theirs set up.

Im not sure if there's going to be any new monitors that's going to match the G7 in 3d vision performance. A monitor would need to have minileds for brightness, and fast enough pixel transition in order to better the G7. If display technology keep progressing as it did in the last 2 years, then I'm sure in the next couple of years we will get a much needed display upgrade for 3d vision gameplay.
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

3DNovice wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:56 am We had several users that purchased and used Sony hmz-t3w and their other model.

We also had one that purchased the Royal Moon as well, the associated thread is on the old forums, in regards to the 3DTV Play 24Hz limitation, we all know
that it is no longer a hindrance. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... -purchase/

So you might list those as well as the Avegant Glyph, which were selling at 99-$129, some are still available for $300. Perhaps on a separate page or under a different header? Dunno

I never seen mention of anyone in the community using the GOOVIS G2-2021 or any of the other GOOVIS products.
https://goovis.net/products/g2x
Interesting, do you mean we can unlock 3D refresh rate in 3DTV Play for any monitor or just that one model?
And I'm not familiar with those monitors, but I just set up a form you can use to add new ones to the database: https://airtable.com/shriW8BR6rBWqSQh9
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 am Of course Geo-11 does not have the 24Hz limitation of 3DTV Play, because it can function as a stereoscopic middleware without Nvidia's stereoscopic
drivers being installed.

For dx11 games, 3DMigoto offers support to surpass the limitation of 3DTV Play's 24Hz restriction that is in Nvidia's stereoscopic drivers. this is accomplished
by editing the d3dx.ini to output the desired format of SbS or Over/Under

3DTV Play offers 1080i@60 support for displays supporting Checkerboard.

Optimized for Nvidia GeForce offers 1080i@60 support for displays that use a Line Interlaced format, an EDID override is needed though.

Or to workaround the 1080p@24Hz limitation of 3DTV Play there a registry edit method
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... hout_3dtv/

Also, in some case Generic CRT can be used, if the TV or Projector supports Frame Sequential/Page Flipping.
geo-11 is obviously a great choice, but it's not a complete replacement for native 3D Vision cuz it's obviously limited to D3D11 (unless you wanna mess with wrappers and redo fixes for other APIs like D3D9) and full resolution still requires 3DV outputs or VR.
I think I saw that last hack, but does it really work? and by 60hz do they mean that it's 30fps per eye or 60? and isn't the real problem the HDMI 3D's standard resolution/refresh limitations to 1080p24 or 720p60 tops?
Like I have an old 3D Vision monitor with a broken DVI port so I'm stuck with HDMI and I'd very much like to be able to get 1080p60 per eye but nothing I've tried has ever achieved that.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harisukro
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by harisukro »

Someone posted on discord about ASUS VG278QF being compatible: https://discord.com/channels/5157038646 ... 8919933992

Official link: https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/ ... g/vg278qf/
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:16 pm Rough Overview.......

There are two limitations that restrict achieving greater than 24Hz Frame Packing on HDMI 1.4 connections.

First and foremost, is the bandwidth of the chip/controller on the input of the display. The reason that they can not support 120Hz/60 full frames per eye
even when connected to a new GPU, is due to the limitations of that input. But the bandwidth is there for 30 full frames per eye (1080P30) or 120/60 per eye interlaced frames(1080i60) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

Secondly, the display's software must support any particular stereoscopic format and refresh rate. Most support Over/Under@60i or Side by Side @60i.
(refer to your owner's manual) Samsung LED/Plasma Checkerboard support typically require that a specific input port be used and possibly renamed/labeled.
Samsung does not call it Checkerboard, they call it Pixel Interleaved or something similar.

Interlaced can be Line Interleaved, Column Interleaved, Checkerboard, Side by Side Half or Over/Under Half(Top and Bottom Half)

Of course Passive TVs and Monitors natively support 1920x1080i Line Interleaved

While DLP 3D HDTVs like those from Samsung and Mitsubishi only supported 1920x1080i Checkerboard natively, due to the DLP mirror array only being half the resolution, so wobulation was used to achieve a 1920x1080 image.

Also, some Samsung and Panasonic active 3D HDTVs, both Plasma and LED supported Checkerboard in addition to other formats.
Ah, so I guess the HDMI chip on my VG278H is a lot more limited than the DVI port because obviously it can handle full res 1080p60 per eye, but I also recall trying a custom resolution to force 1080p120 2D via HDMI and it didn't work.
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

harisukro wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 pm Someone posted on discord about ASUS VG278QF being compatible: https://discord.com/channels/5157038646 ... 8919933992

Official link: https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/ ... g/vg278qf/
Good find! I added it to the database.
also friendly reminder that there's a link to submit any other 3D Vision-compatible monitors you find directly to the database: https://airtable.com/shriW8BR6rBWqSQh9
Kratero
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kratero »

Hello everyone, this is my first msg here. Very grateful to 3DJ for making such a big list.

My question has cathed me for years, because I own an old DELL L702x laptop with built-in Nvidia IR emitter and a pair of glasses. I'm only into playing 3D movies/photos.
Do you think I would be enough buying any 3D Vision monitor without built-in emitter on it? (my laptop already has it) Or should I need to buy also a USB emitter?

Thanks for the ideas. Cheers.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I would be enough buying any 3D Vision monitor
There are some external gpu adapters for laptops, if you have the correct pci-e slot for it that is. Might be possible to get a faster 3d vision gpu to work with the emitter on there. The laptop might be a bit too slow to run alot of the newer games in 3d vision though.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Kratero
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kratero »

Huge thanks for so extended reply. ;)
3DNovice wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:34 pmIf your available connections are routed off of the integrated graphics of the CPU, then there is no hope. These connections can be observed in the PhysX tab of NVCP.

The laptop builds HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2 and it seems I can choose any proccessor for PhysX...
I was absolute sure I can output 3D through HDMI for example, but my doubt was about IR emitter, (which looks as connected through USB-way)

Anyways, I will try testing a 3D ready monitor without emitter and tell the exp here.
Cheers!
Kratero
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kratero »

treeeddd wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:52 am
I would be enough buying any 3D Vision monitor
There are some external gpu adapters for laptops, if you have the correct pci-e slot for it that is. Might be possible to get a faster 3d vision gpu to work with the emitter on there. The laptop might be a bit too slow to run alot of the newer games in 3d vision though.
Well yes, but I'm not into 3D games. Only creating and playing 3D videos / pics, and for that kind of work laptop is more than powerful, thanks!
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kratero
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kratero »

Huge thanks again, @3DNovice, I'll take a look.
josicspack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by josicspack »

Hi,

First, thanks for keeping 3d vision alive :)

I have an opportunity to buy a LG Ultragear UHD 4K 32'' , it does 1ms , 3840x2160 x 144hz , so for me S3D looks possible :ugeek:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32gq9 ... #pdp_specs

Anyone has tried it or similar (4K) monitor with 3d vision ? Looks like it could do S3d but just want to confirm with you. If you have recommendations etc

Thanks again!
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

LG Ultragear UHD 4K 32'' , it does 1ms , 3840x2160 x 144hz , so for me S3D looks possible
Nope, it doesn't have a backlight strober, still the panel is too slow. I've tested a similar IPS panel with the same speed, and it has too much crosstalk.

There's going to be faster IPS panels coming out this year in 4k that could be able to do 3d vision, but 4k sized monitors usually don't have as fast of a pixel transition time as 1440p and 1080p sized monitors.

The ASUS ROG Swift 360Hz 27” 1440P HDR Gaming Monitor (PG27AQN) is one of the newer IPS panels that could be fast enough for 3d vision. Though they are super expensive too, probably not worth it just for 3d vision gaming because the older 3d vision official monitors are alot cheaper used.

Have to wait for more of these fast IPS panel to be released this year to see if any of them can do 3d vision, but it's going to need a good backlight strobing implementation.
josicspack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by josicspack »

treeeddd wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:39 pm
LG Ultragear UHD 4K 32'' , it does 1ms , 3840x2160 x 144hz , so for me S3D looks possible
Nope, it doesn't have a backlight strober, still the panel is too slow. I've tested a similar IPS panel with the same speed, and it has too much crosstalk.

There's going to be faster IPS panels coming out this year in 4k that could be able to do 3d vision, but 4k sized monitors usually don't have as fast of a pixel transition time as 1440p and 1080p sized monitors.

The ASUS ROG Swift 360Hz 27” 1440P HDR Gaming Monitor (PG27AQN) is one of the newer IPS panels that could be fast enough for 3d vision. Though they are super expensive too, probably not worth it just for 3d vision gaming because the older 3d vision official monitors are alot cheaper used.

Have to wait for more of these fast IPS panel to be released this year to see if any of them can do 3d vision, but it's going to need a good backlight strobing implementation.

Thanks for your quick reply.. Damn. It's sad that we can't have a decent 4k monitor.

I'm still very happy with my ROG PG278QR (one of the last true 3d vision monitor), but I'm looking for a second 3d monitor just in case.
The irony is, i'm completely ok with paying top bucks for a good s3d monitor (as are a lot of s3d fans).
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

One of the newer videos, shows it at AWE2023 being demoed with a 4K 2D display. https://youtu.be/EDvkKBWRWv4
They are using the LG 27" Ultragear OLED QHD Gaming Monitor, which is known to only have 160nits fullscreen brightness. I can't imagine using such a low brightness screen with active shutter glasses. Well, at least it's good to know that it works with oled monitors in QHD size, but, yeah, it's just too dim to actually usable.

I would say say 250nits would the be minimum fullscreen brightness needed active shutter glasses to give a good experience. More fullscreen brightness is going to be even better, but not by much as the active shutter glasses doesn't seem to allow more of the light in up to a point.

I think it would be far better if they did a 3d glass free design for this sort of tracking movement.
williamliz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by williamliz »

After researching and learning as well as consulting with experts, perhaps the final choice is still Acer XB272 (240hz 2D + 144hz 3D) five nights at freddy's 4
Dark_saiyens
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

williamliz wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:50 am After researching and learning as well as consulting with experts, perhaps the final choice is still Acer XB272 (240hz 2D + 144hz 3D) five nights at freddy's 4
It is only in 1080p... It is not the best monitor for 3D.
Go to PG278QR or PG27VQ
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

consulting with experts, perhaps the final choice is still Acer XB272
I actually have this monitor, 1080p kinda sucks in 3D, TN panel sucks in colors too. I find the gsync module used for 3d vision makes everything look alot softer as well.

1440p is great for 3d, but it still a TN panel, 27inchs, and still a soft 3d image on the screen. It also only works in displayport, hdmi doesn't work with 3d vision for the gsync module.

If you don't mind tinkering and setting up a non compatible 3d vision monitor, the oddyssey G7 32 inch is the way to go. It's affordable these days, and can be found at a good price used.

I got got my eye on these newer QD-oled monitors, still somewhat expensive right now to see if it can work with 3d vision or not.

TN panels ruin the 3d experience, IMO. With these newer QD-oled, you'll get great motion handling, colors, and nice dark. TN panels have backlight scanning however, that I find improves the motion handling nicely.

I'm still waiting for these fast IPS panels to be release, that could possibly be fast enough for 4k 32inch gaming. Also, waiting for the 2nd gen QD-oleds, which can get bright and be better at image burn in. Not great options if you are looking for a budget 3d vision compatible monitor. But they will still produce better 3d image if you can get them to work with 3d vision...
Dark_saiyens
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

treeeddd wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:05 pm
consulting with experts, perhaps the final choice is still Acer XB272
I actually have this monitor, 1080p kinda sucks in 3D, TN panel sucks in colors too. I find the gsync module used for 3d vision makes everything look alot softer as well.

1440p is great for 3d, but it still a TN panel, 27inchs, and still a soft 3d image on the screen. It also only works in displayport, hdmi doesn't work with 3d vision for the gsync module.

If you don't mind tinkering and setting up a non compatible 3d vision monitor, the oddyssey G7 32 inch is the way to go. It's affordable these days, and can be found at a good price used.

I got got my eye on these newer QD-oled monitors, still somewhat expensive right now to see if it can work with 3d vision or not.

TN panels ruin the 3d experience, IMO. With these newer QD-oled, you'll get great motion handling, colors, and nice dark. TN panels have backlight scanning however, that I find improves the motion handling nicely.

I'm still waiting for these fast IPS panels to be release, that could possibly be fast enough for 4k 32inch gaming. Also, waiting for the 2nd gen QD-oleds, which can get bright and be better at image burn in. Not great options if you are looking for a budget 3d vision compatible monitor. But they will still produce better 3d image if you can get them to work with 3d vision...
Do you know if it is hard to make a G7 compatible 3D Vision ?
I have just received last month the last G9 OLED monitor, would it be possible to activate 3D Vision on that one too ?

I got also on 65C6V for 3D Gaming with EDID fix and it is so great ! I can't play on my PG278QR anymore ^^ (well it depends games!)
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I helped two other members of this forum, through the treads, to get their odyssey G7 working with 3d vision. I'm sure you can get it setup if you go through the threads here, if not I can help you if you run into an issue. It's not hard at all, edid edit in the regedit, tweak the syncing of the 3d glasses with nvtimingED. There is some sync issue with the glasses that needs to be fine tuned if it doesn't stayed synced. I found a driver edid that keeps the sync, which I posted in another thread.

G9 OLED monitor, would it be possible to activate 3D Vision on that one too
I'm not sure how the wide aspect of the display will affect the timing of the 3d glasses, nvtimingED has a way to adjust the timing so it could work within a small window of the screen. Setting up the G9 to work with 3d vision drivers is the the same way as setting up the G7 to work with 3d vision. You can try it out for yourself to see if you can get it to work.
Dark_saiyens
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dark_saiyens »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:34 pm
I helped two other members of this forum, through the treads, to get their odyssey G7 working with 3d vision. I'm sure you can get it setup if you go through the threads here, if not I can help you if you run into an issue. It's not hard at all, edid edit in the regedit, tweak the syncing of the 3d glasses with nvtimingED. There is some sync issue with the glasses that needs to be fine tuned if it doesn't stayed synced. I found a driver edid that keeps the sync, which I posted in another thread.

G9 OLED monitor, would it be possible to activate 3D Vision on that one too
I'm not sure how the wide aspect of the display will affect the timing of the 3d glasses, nvtimingED has a way to adjust the timing so it could work within a small window of the screen. Setting up the G9 to work with 3d vision drivers is the the same way as setting up the G7 to work with 3d vision. You can try it out for yourself to see if you can get it to work.
Yep i saw your posts.
It would be to be played on G9 but in 16:9 so not in ultra wide ! I have no time right now but i would come back in few month to see that :)
Kratero
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kratero »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:34 pm The built in emitter on your laptop will not function with an external 3D Vision monitor.
The emitter will function as a product key to unlock 3DTV Play for free on older drivers vs paying the $40 (note:3DTV Play is no longer sold) this would allow the use of any HDMI 1.4 compliant 3D Display.

In the last official driver version released by Nvidia containing their stereoscopic drivers, 3DTV Play no longer requires a product key, it was added for free in 418/425.31
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... n-products

AFAIK, there are not any 3D Vision certified monitors being sold anymore other than the Asus VG248QE but you would need to find an external emitter to buy, they are also no longer being manufactured.
https

Sorry for refloat this thread, I've been busy, but thanks to the guide here of compatible monitors, finally I've get a 2nd hand one (but looks as new, still has some seals around frame), and beautifully works with the built-in IR emitter on my 3D laptop (this monitor has not any emitter, only a green signal light which tells when 3D is running).

BenQ XL2720-B
(Provisional placement :D )
The 2nd gen of those monitors didn't need the dual DVI nightmare connection for 3D. It flows over DisplayPort, and automatically turns into 3D if you set it as primary screen (both displays can run 120hz simultaneously, but only one screen will be allowed to run 3D mode).

It has lightboost, and my 1st gen Nvidia glasses get benefited of it. However, I detect some ghosting all over. The L702x screen didn't show that issue. Is just too much dark.

The configuration for fully 3D enjoyment:
Windows 10 Creators Update (Build 1703)
Nvidia drivers version 372.90

Thank you guys for contribution.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cowboybob
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cowboybob »

I have both the ASUS VG278H (dual link DVI) and the BenQ XL2720B (Display port) both appear very much alike for my 3d Sim racing experience. The Asus is no longer used due to the 2080ti / display Port connection.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”