Some questions on a "first time" HMD build

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
Spook50
One Eyed Hopeful

Some questions on a "first time" HMD build

Post by Spook50 »

I'm building a simple HMD using my Galaxy S3 for the display and the enclosure detailed here: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-3D- ... martphone/

My vision is pretty bad (far-sighted, way moreso in my left eye), so I'm expecting to modify the enclosure's design and mess with lens placement (picked up two 5x loupes at a local craft store) to get it to look right. The problem is that I want to be able to view full screen 2D content as well from time to time, so I'm planning to make the lenses interchangeable with a 2x bookmark Fresnel lens like how the Xcope was intended to be packaged. Playing around with positioning of the Fresnel and the phone though, I can not find a comfortable position/orientation to save my life. I'm not concerned with wide FOV for this build, just something to play with and hopefully get some ideas from as I go. After searching all over the forum I haven't been able to find anything that explains a solution to this dilemma. Have any of you experimented around with this to find an ideal setup for viewing 2D content? Anyone with far-sighted vision that's figured out how to compensate for it?

Any tips/advice or previous experiences would be great.
New to building HMDs; learning as I go
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Some questions on a "first time" HMD build

Post by Fredz »

Farsightedness shouldn't be a problem.

From http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/behind-the ... pilot-run/ :
"If you’re farsighted, you’ll have no vision problems in the Rift because the optics are focused at infinity (which makes your brain think it’s looking at something far away). You’ll also use set A."
Spook50
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Spook50 »

For a split screen view like with SBS I do okay with minimal eyestrain, but what's throwing me for a loop is how I can comfortably watch full screen 2D stuff without getting a migraine within ten minutes. Simply having the screen father away from my eyes can help a little with my vision, but I'm still trying to figure out how I can set up single full screen viewing without having to cross my eyes. I was hoping the Fresnel lens would be a step in the right direction, but I'm having no luck when I experiment with it.
New to building HMDs; learning as I go
eirajeremy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eirajeremy »

You can experiment with different positions and angles for the Fresnel lens to find the most comfortable one.
my location
NellyAurora
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NellyAurora »

I find myself in the same situation. I'm still looking for a solution to watch the entire screen without straining my eyes. I had high hopes for the Fresnel lens, but my experiments failed. heardle 80s

Return to “Do it Yourself!”