Rokid Max, best 3d display I ever used

kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Rokid Max, best 3d display I ever used

Post by kakashisensei »

Just wanted to share my experience with the Rokid Max HMD "AR" glasses. There are similiar ones out there like the Xreal Air and TCL NxtwearS. I tried out all three, and the Rokid Max is the best imo.

First the specs are 1920x1200 micro-oled panels per eye, and use mirrors and optics to project the image to your eyes. They say 1920x1080, but they are actually 1920x1200 panels, they just have black bars at top and bottom. In 3D mode, you can get half sbs or full sbs. In full sbs, it will appear as a 3840x1200 monitor to your pc. With CRU, you can unlock 1920x1200 up to 120hz and 3840x1200 up to 60hz. The how to is found here https://www.reddit.com/r/rokid_official ... n_3d_mode/. The extra vertical FOV makes a huge difference. Without it, the FOV feels kinda small and maybe a tad bit smaller than the Xreal Air. In 3D mode, you can create a custom resolution in nvidia control panel for 16:10 formats like 3840x2400 with full screen scaling, run the games in those resolutions and you get full 1920x1200 per eye picture. Or you can set it to 2560x1600 or lower if your gpu cannot handle it.

The clarity in 3D is amazing. This is what makes it stand out the most. Unlike any other 3D displays or vr headsets I used before, including the 4k lg passive oleds, hp reverb g2, avant glyph, various hmds including all these new "AR" glasses, I have never seen such a clear picture in 3D. I can see all the fine details on my GTA online character's spec ops outfit without any blur, ghosting. Because the image is so clear, I can crank up the separation/convergence values even more so and still feel comfortable using it. Compared to the Xreal (which I really liked before trying the Rokid), the Rokid has a noticeably more clear and focused picture. Almost feels like the difference between viewing a 1080p vs a 1440p monitor at the same size. Unlike the 3d tvs, there is no crosstalk with these. Not sure why the Rokid can produce this clear an image when others cannot. Maybe the micro-oled panel has a much higher pixel density, and combined with the optics they use. Unlike the Xreal, there is a digital IPD adjustment using their mobile app. Ive been told that this makes no difference when using on PC, but somehow it worked for me and fixed my focus issues early on. Not really sure how either if its a digital IPD adjustment through an app. Perhaps its tilting some mirrors or something.

Now to be fair, how good the visual experience is will differ from person to person, especially dependent on the optics setup and the users eyesight. Perhaps the Rokids optics will be bad for some people. I have pretty good eyesight, not nearsighted or anything. And then theres comfort preference. The Xreals felt more comfortable right from the start. At first I didn't like the Rokids until I figured out all the adjustments, and then it was much much better. There are also diopter mechanical adjustments for people with nearsightedness. Its nice to be able to fine dial it until the image is as clear as possible to you.

When comparing to the Xreal, the Rokid had much less blooming lighting up the edges of the lens. With the Xreals, the blooming at the edge of the lenses is much more noticeable and can become distracting. The brightness of the Rokids go up to 600nits. Feels a bit higher than the max brightness on the Xreals. Long term this may be damaging for eyes though.

There is one major gripe for me and that is the clarity at the left and right edges of the screen are horrible. The central ~80% portion of the screen is great, but the left and right sides are blurry, and have chromatic aberration. I don't think theres a solution to this, as many have reported similar experience. This is probably just the way the optics are. With the Xreal, you get a consistent clarity throughout the screen.

Overall, having these made me giddy with 3D gaming again. Now if I could only get some titles to work flawlessly on geo11, I can finally upgrade from my 2080ti.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Rokid Max, best 3d display I ever used

Post by Chtiblue »

Thanks for your report,
Looks great but 20% of blur is so huge, still not the perfect AR glasses yet, but that's ok I'm not in a hurry as long as my Oled C6V 55" ( with HDR & no blur at all!) is working 8)
which 4k oled passive LG did you try?
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Chtiblue wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:58 am Thanks for your report,
Looks great but 20% of blur is so huge, still not the perfect AR glasses yet, but that's ok I'm not in a hurry as long as my Oled C6V 55" ( with HDR & no blur at all!) is working 8)
I have the lg 55" ef9500 bought way back in 2016, which should be the generation before the c6v. The c6v should be much better than the ef9500, especially with max brightness. Funny, my brother has the E6 and he has never used it for 3d, but just as the living room tv. Whenever I go to his place, I see so much ui burn in on it. I had to start using my ef9500 sparingly when I noticed some burn in when cycling through colors for a burn in check. Embarrassingly, the burn in came from watching too much of a certain sports talk show and not from gaming. It just became too cumbersome to use, to connect my pc to the tv with a long hdmi cable, change seating positions, deal with the dimmed brightness due to the 3d glasses, and have a bit of crosstalk or ghosting in certain games. I had primarily switched to my hp reverb g2 for 3d gaming on a large virtual screen, without brightness/crosstalk issues. But the performance loss due to overhead and the reduced picture detail was annoying. But for whichever reason, the VR couldn't achieve the same 3d effect (high convergence) I could get with the tv. Finally with this rokid max, its just amazing so far. I will deal with the blurry edges, everything else is great.

If anyone is willing to try, I suggest getting it off Amazon for their safe return policy. Thats how I tried all three and picked the winner.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Nice. I've been interested in this set, but was only found on ebay shipped from china. Glad to see it on amazon, and the price seems to have come down a little.

Hows the software side of things, is the 120hz noticeable over the 60hz models?

Also, does virtual desktop work on this? Being able to use 3d games with reshade like that on VR headsets.

I saw another company with these type of glasses on linus tech tips.

I'm definitely interested in this product, I'll wait for a sale and see how it matures over time. I'm waiting for psvr2 headset to get supported on PC as well.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

kakashisensei wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:29 pm
Chtiblue wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:58 am Thanks for your report,
I have the lg 55" ef9500 bought way back in 2016, which should be the generation before the c6v. The c6v should be much better than the ef9500, especially with max brightness. Funny, my brother has the E6 and he has never used it for 3d, but just as the living room tv. Whenever I go to his place, I see so much ui burn in on it. I had to start using my ef9500 sparingly when I noticed some burn in when cycling through colors for a burn in check. Embarrassingly, the burn in came from watching too much of a certain sports talk show and not from gaming. It just became too cumbersome to use, to connect my pc to the tv with a long hdmi cable, change seating positions, deal with the dimmed brightness due to the 3d glasses, and have a bit of crosstalk or ghosting in certain games. I had primarily switched to my hp reverb g2 for 3d gaming on a large virtual screen, without brightness/crosstalk issues. But the performance loss due to overhead and the reduced picture detail was annoying. But for whichever reason, the VR couldn't achieve the same 3d effect (high convergence) I could get with the tv. Finally with this rokid max, its just amazing so far. I will deal with the blurry edges, everything else is great.

If anyone is willing to try, I suggest getting it off Amazon for their safe return policy. Thats how I tried all three and picked the winner.
Yeah C6V generation was much better and they add switch pixels tech to avois burning. I don't have any burning yet.
Yeah I had Reverb G1 & G2 too I sold quickly because loss in details and visible grid.

AR glasses will be my C6V replacement when it die, I hope they will be a perfect AR glasse then and Amazon will sell AR glasses in Europe (not the case for themoment...)

You should know in Steam VR you can change the world scale to crank up the convergence asyou wish 8)
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:05 pm Nice. I've been interested in this set, but was only found on ebay shipped from china. Glad to see it on amazon, and the price seems to have come down a little.

Hows the software side of things, is the 120hz noticeable over the 60hz models?

Also, does virtual desktop work on this? Being able to use 3d games with reshade like that on VR headsets.

I saw another company with these type of glasses on linus tech tips.

I'm definitely interested in this product, I'll wait for a sale and see how it matures over time. I'm waiting for psvr2 headset to get supported on PC as well.
120hz is very noticeable over 60hz, but 120 is only for 1920x1200 modes, so 2D only.

No, virtual desktop or any VR game/application won't work on these. You won't need virtual desktop to use reshade 3D games with these. These are HMDs, so they behave simply as a monitor, one for each eye. In 2D mode, both monitors are mirrored. In 3D mode, it will appear as an 32:10 monitor, and you need to have your game in full sbs 3D.

If you are looking to consolidate, a VR headset may be better as it serves all your needs in one, VR, 3D virtual gaming screen, etc... I used my reverb g2 with virtual desktop quite a bit before I got these. But with VR headsets, you will have lower picture quality because of the lens magnifying the screens. Even with my reverb g2 with 4k resolution, the picture looks more like what you get back in the 1024x768 days.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

kakashisensei wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:58 am Even with my reverb g2 with 4k resolution, the picture looks more like what you get back in the 1024x768 days.
:o
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

If I might ask how long is the cord? And does it knock out 3D Vision? The Nreal had a 3 foot cord and it was knocking out 3D Vision (i.e. said it was on but test screen didn't work etc), so was causing some kind of driver interference when the cord was connected) Just wondering if same thing is happening with the ROKID. Thanks
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

greg02 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:34 pm If I might ask how long is the cord? And does it knock out 3D Vision? The Nreal had a 3 foot cord and it was knocking out 3D Vision (i.e. said it was on but test screen didn't work etc), so was causing some kind of driver interference when the cord was connected) Just wondering if same thing is happening with the ROKID. Thanks
It also has a 3ft usb c cable. But I use it with a usbc to usbc extension cable, connected straight to the 2080 ti. Weird, I never had issues with 3d vision even when I used the 3ft cable only with the nreal. Are you talking about interference with 3d vision glasses emitter?
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

Has anyone found a non-braided cord? The included 4 foot cord is good for the phone, I picked up a 10' cord for connecting to the PC, and I only see ones that are braided and stiff... it would be much better to find a rubbery flexible cord. As it is the glasses are so light that the braided cord knocks it around a bit when they are on your face. A less coiled more flexible cord would help.
vr2000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vr2000 »

if any non-adbots still read the forum:

there is a post on reddit that describes a mod for these glasses that helps the blurry edges problem!
basically what he did is take the lenses out of some reading glasses for a slight magnification and then stuck them inside the ar glasses
also he used some kind of custom light-blockers for less reflections on the lenses

i have not tried these glasses or this mod tho
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

greg02 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:11 pm Has anyone found a non-braided cord? The included 4 foot cord is good for the phone, I picked up a 10' cord for connecting to the PC, and I only see ones that are braided and stiff... it would be much better to find a rubbery flexible cord. As it is the glasses are so light that the braided cord knocks it around a bit when they are on your face. A less coiled more flexible cord would help.
I had the same issue with stiff cords. So I just got this extension cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y9 ... =UTF8&th=1, and use with the included cord. Works great for me.

vr2000 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:55 pm if any non-adbots still read the forum:

there is a post on reddit that describes a mod for these glasses that helps the blurry edges problem!
basically what he did is take the lenses out of some reading glasses for a slight magnification and then stuck them inside the ar glasses
also he used some kind of custom light-blockers for less reflections on the lenses

i have not tried these glasses or this mod tho
Thanks for the info, will take a look.

On a side note, was looking at some other hmds. Goovis makes some more impressive hmds, with diopter and mechanical ipd adjustment. They recently released a g3 max version that has 2560x1440 oled panels per eye at 0.8" diagonal. They say its a 63 degree fov, which is considerably larger than these "AR" glasses. I could not find information if it supports full sbs 3d. If it only supports half, its not even worth trying. The price is pretty expensive as well, almost $1000. Ive used their g2 version in the past, but it was not worth the money so I returned it. There was too much lighting up on the sides of the assembly between the screens and the lens. Made you feel like you were in the back of a theater and the movie would light up the theater walls. The worst part was that it only supported half sbs, so it looked really bad.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

Do you need to set up timings etc in CRU for 3840/2400? I set it up using Nvidia Control Panel and lost the signal. I did up 3840/1200 in CRU and with Reshade superdepth it was still only 1/2 SBS and unusable due to the cursor not being correctly positioned. Would it be possible to give a summarized step by step (assuming we understand everything you already wrote and the reddit) to get full SBS with reshade?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg02
Cross Eyed!

Post by greg02 »

kakashisensei wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:37 pm In 3D mode, you can create a custom resolution in nvidia control panel for 16:10 formats like 3840x2400 with full screen scaling, run the games in those resolutions and you get full 1920x1200 per eye picture.
Thanks for your post! When I made the 3840/2400 custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel, I lost the signal. Did you use CRU to make that first and if so what would the timings be? So far I have yet to see full SBS using Reshade, only half, which looks like **** since I am used to 3D Vision. How do I get the full 1080p in each eye? Thanks for anyone who figured it out and can chime in.
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

greg02 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:16 am Do you need to set up timings etc in CRU for 3840/2400? I set it up using Nvidia Control Panel and lost the signal. I did up 3840/1200 in CRU and with Reshade superdepth it was still only 1/2 SBS and unusable due to the cursor not being correctly positioned. Would it be possible to give a summarized step by step (assuming we understand everything you already wrote and the reddit) to get full SBS with reshade?
greg02 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:40 am
kakashisensei wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:37 pm In 3D mode, you can create a custom resolution in nvidia control panel for 16:10 formats like 3840x2400 with full screen scaling, run the games in those resolutions and you get full 1920x1200 per eye picture.
Thanks for your post! When I made the 3840/2400 custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel, I lost the signal. Did you use CRU to make that first and if so what would the timings be? So far I have yet to see full SBS using Reshade, only half, which looks like **** since I am used to 3D Vision. How do I get the full 1080p in each eye? Thanks for anyone who figured it out and can chime in.
No I did not need to set up timings for any custom resolution in nvidia control panel. Just resolution and refresh rate. As for CRU, sorry its been a while. But I followed that reddit post exactly. Only resolutions to go into CRU are 1920x1200x120, and 3840x1200x60.

If I recall,
1. in 2d mode, hold down vol+ for 4 seconds to get 1920x1200 mode
2. now do the CRU steps outlined in the reddit post, save, and use the CRU reset driver thing
3. go to full sbs 3d mode (hold brightness down for 8 secs)
4. make sure display scaling in nvidia control panel is set to full screen, scaling handled by display is fine for me, but if still issues try setting this to be handled by gpu
5. create custom 16:10 resolutions in nvidia control panel for 3840x2400 or lesser ones

If you are still having issues with 3840x2400 not showing anything, it could be the usb-c connection not having enough bandwidth. Try 2560x1600. If that works, its def bandwidth issue of the connection. Perhaps its the cable or the protocol of your connection. I am using the virtual link output from my 2080ti, a usb 3.2 extension cable + the included cable from rokid.

For games, I have to run them in with in-game resolution set to 3840x2400 or a lesser 16:10 resolution. If you have to use a lesser resolution due to performance, you can use upscaling back up to 3840x2400 to get some of the image quality back. The d3dx.ini file should have some options for that. Not sure about reshade, but even tridef has upscaling. You should get a nice looking 1920x1200 image per eye.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”