Nvidia Control Panel can't save stereo settings

Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Nvidia Control Panel can't save stereo settings

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Hello everyone.
For a while I've been having a problem with nvidia's drivers and 3D Vision, I'm not sure since when. I know that the main focus is geo-11 now, but unfortunately we still need 3DV for dx9 games.
Earlier, the 3D fix manager succesfully combined the last 3d Vision driver with newer base drivers, and everything worked fine. But now what happens is that the stereoscopic section shows up in the NV control panel with the default settings, but no changes can be saved. That includes the separation, enabling hotkeys for convergence settings, and even the 3D mode itself as well. I've always used passive interleaved mode, but now the games start in anaglyph mode.
What I realized is that the stereo entries in registry are absent. If I install the old 452.06 driver, save all the settings in NV control panel and make a backup of the stereo registry entries, I can merge them after installing a recent driver, and now 3D works with the settings that I backed up. But again, no changes can be saved. Trying to alter them in the 3D fix manager doesn't work either.
So isn't this some kind of permission problem? That the control panel can't write stereo settings to the registry?
I could probably get used to editing the reg values manually, but still... There has to be a way to fix this.
Unless of course, geo-9 is on the way. Screw this nvidia mess.
Last edited by Innuendo1231 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Nvidia Control Panel can't save stero settings

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

I don't use eye swapping, i made polarizing clip-ons myself :)

So no, I don't lock the registry.

I also used ddu in safe mode to remove everything, yes. That's a practice i often use.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 am It's possible that your OS is corrupt, in which case you would need to re-install it.
This could even be caused by a bad/failed/failing sector on your drive.
You could also try a system restore, but if you have done multiple installs of drivers recently, you might not have an old enough restore point.
Group Policy can also also come into play, but since you can manually edit the registry, your admin privileges shouldn't be the issue.

Before doing anything though, you can try window repair options, like scanning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS03RB3y_Tg
If any of these were the source of the problem, then it wouldn't work with the old driver either, but it does.
Btw, I'm still on win10 1089.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 am Maybe 3DFixManager does not have the support for the new driver version you are using

Perhaps try the tool by Losti viewtopic.php?t=25361

or try manually installing the new driver via the DLL modifying method
viewtopic.php?t=23352

BTW, if you were using an EDID override, make sure that the display is still being recognized as the spoofed display.
Hmm, I'll see if these tools work, thanks.

Yes, I created my own edid. Ripped the edid of my tv via moninfo and only modified the manufacturer code and model number via hex editor. Now the device name is "Acer LG TV" :D And it works.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Tried Losti's tool several times with different settings, but it resluted in fatal error everytime. After going through the whole process, at the end it just says something like 3D vision won't work with this driver.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

I got it working.
These are the things that I did:

Installed the latest nvidia driver (after DDU-ing).

Installed 3d vision using 3d fix manager.

Added the reg values as desccirbed in the first post (created the reg file while having 452.06 with working 3d vision).

Went to C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision, and copied everything into the widows driver repository.
For me with this driver version it was:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_d1bd230cd08e7436\Display.NvContainer\plugins\LocalSystem

I had to take ownership and give permission to be able to copy though.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:37 pmBTW, you were not installing a Slim version or similar stripped down driver version?
Nope, i tried letting the script download the latest driver and also tried to download it myself and putting it in the customdriver folder. Tried this with version 528 and 527 as well.
I see no signs of a virus. I think it's normal to not have writing access to windows driver folder. I just don't know why 3dfm can do it with 452.06 but not with these modern drivers. It's probably some new variant of DCH packaging that works different now.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
civilwar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by civilwar »

@Innuendo1231,
Possible to include the detail step of your solution please?
I have the exact same problem, but not well verse with window stuff.
Thanks.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:57 pm He also offer WTools, a system cleaner much like CCleaner or BleachBit, but on steroids!
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/view ... t=4244&sid
Wow, I was just looking for something like that, thanks!

I didn't have to change permissions to write the registry values, only for copying the files.
civilwar wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:35 pm Possible to include the detail step of your solution please?
I have the exact same problem, but not well verse with window stuff.
Thanks.
Hmm which detail would you need? Creating the reg file?

Let 3D fix manager install the last dx11 supporting driver and the 3d vision driver (452.06)
Check if 3d vision settings are working well in nvidia control panel.

Push Win-key + R to open the run command window and enter regedit to open registry. Look up this path there:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global
There will be two 3d related folders there, Stereo3D and Stereo3DPersistent. You can right click on them and choose export. This will create the reg files that you can use to add these values back to registry later. I combined them into one but it's okay to just leave them separately and run both of them later. Keep these for future installation too.

Then you can remove the all current nvidia drivers with ddu (display driver uninstaller). You have to run windows in safe mode to when you run ddu.
After that install the lastest nvidia driver in the regular way.

Then run 3D fix manager but let it install only the 3d vision driver.
Now run the reg files you created, to add the necesary registry entires.

Then look up 3d visions installed files on your system drive:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision
I copied everything I found in there to where the 3d plugins are supposed to be in windows' driver repository. It's a folder that you don't normally have writing permission for.
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig***some long code***\plugins\LocalSystem

You have to find yours youself, the code will be different. It just has to start with nv_.

Changing the writing permissions of the folder would be easiest with the tools 3DNovice mentioned. I haven't tried them myself yet, I just cahnged them manually but it's a bit complicated.

Once you have writing permission you can copy the files. Then reboot and everything should be dandy.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

civilwar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by civilwar »

@Innuendo1231,
Thank you very much for the quick reply and instruction.
Managed to complete the instruction with the help of some friends.
Nvidia control panel 3D presets are normal now.
Thanks again for your time and assistance.
civilwar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by civilwar »

Possible to share your EDID? My PC is also connected to an old 43" LCD LG passive 3D TV.
Tried several EDID, but the screen turns very dark in 3D mode, even at 720p resolution.
Your customized LG EDID may be the solution. Please let me try it out, thanks.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

civilwar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:40 am Possible to share your EDID? My PC is also connected to an old 43" LCD LG passive 3D TV.
Tried several EDID, but the screen turns very dark in 3D mode, even at 720p resolution.
Your customized LG EDID may be the solution. Please let me try it out, thanks.
Judging by the size, your tv must be 1080p. Mine is 4k, so my edid won't work for you.
The perfect solution is if you send me your tv's edid so I can modify it for you.

Download Monitor Asset Manager.
When you open it, by default it will be set on what's your current display (real time). But you should see LG TV or something like that in the desciption on the right pane.
In the file menu there will be an opton to Save as.... save it in .bin format.
Send that to me and I'll have a look at it.
I'll modifiy it to have the serials of that Acer monitor that 3d vision is looking for, and create an .inf driver file with it.
This driver won't be digitally signed, so windows won't accept it by default. You need to start windows in a special mode fro it to be accepted. The easiest eay is to hold left Alt and Ctrl while cliking on restart. This should bring up a special restart menu. look for special starting modes or somthgin like that (mine's not english)
WHen windows boots, you will get some options. Select disable requirement for driver digital signature.
Now you can manually override the driver file to you monitor in device manager. You should easily find guides for doing that.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

@Innuendo1231 - why not use joker18’s EDID override for 4K LG TVs? See full discussion (and all relevant tools) at viewtopic.php?p=166635#p166635. The linked EDID files have worked reliably and have years of testing on a variety of passive LG 4K TVs.

By the way, I remember that you were the first person attempting to create an EDID override for passive 4K TVs many years ago, inspiring others like joker18 to investigate this approach. Thanks. Note that if you have OLED version, some extra TV settings are recommended (see my comments in linked message thread).
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
civilwar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by civilwar »

@Innuendo1231,
It is 1080p. Monitor Asset Manager bin file attached.

System info:
3D vision V2 kit, Windows 11, AMD1090T CPU, Nvidia 1060 GPU, 16Gb RAM, LG LCD Passive 3D (HDMI connected). 3D Vision USB emitter is connected, 3D glass is not used.

Thanks you very much for your kind assistance.
dspinfo.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

civilwar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:53 pm @Innuendo1231,
System info:
3D vision V2 kit, Windows 11, AMD1090T CPU, Nvidia 1060 GPU, 16Gb RAM, LG LCD Passive 3D (HDMI connected). 3D Vision USB emitter is connected, 3D glass is not used.
Why do you have a 3d vision kit if you use a passive TV ? Or do you have an official 3D vision monitor too? I think 3d vision can only be set to one or the other, both modes surely won't work at the same time. Anyway, if you only use a passive TV then you should get rid of all that 3d vision equipment.

Try this driver, I only modified the manufacturer code and model number.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 am @Innuendo1231 - why not use joker18’s EDID override for 4K LG TVs? See full discussion (and all relevant tools) at viewtopic.php?p=166635#p166635. The linked EDID files have worked reliably and have years of testing on a variety of passive LG 4K TVs.

By the way, I remember that you were the first person attempting to create an EDID override for passive 4K TVs many years ago, inspiring others like joker18 to investigate this approach. Thanks. Note that if you have OLED version, some extra TV settings are recommended (see my comments in linked message thread).
I always created my own edid mods. Ideally, everyone should derive the edid from their own tv set. I was the first one indeed, and my particular version didn't work for others, but joker18's did. That's just a good example of how one tv's edid may not work for another one.

This is what I do:
whattodo.jpg
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

I have owned 4 different LG 4K TV models, including my current E6 and the prior EF9500. joker18's EDID has worked well on every version. Have you tried his version? Many others have used it without issue. What problem did you find?
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

whyme466 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:15 pm I have owned 4 different LG 4K TV models, including my current E6 and the prior EF9500. joker18's EDID has worked well on every version. Have you tried his version? Many others have used it without issue. What problem did you find?
I never tried his version because i already had mine. But when i shared it, it didn't work for others, I don't know why. I don't have that tv anymore either, i changed to a more recent model (and regretted it, the separation isn't as perfect...) and just created a new edid for this newer one as well.
civilwar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by civilwar »

@Innuendo1231,
Why do you have a 3d vision kit if you use a passive TV ? Or do you have an official 3D vision monitor too? I think 3d vision can only be set to one or the other, both modes surely won't work at the same time. Anyway, if you only use a passive TV then you should get rid of all that 3d vision equipment.
Goodness, this really wakes me up! I have not found such short and concise information on 3d vision for over 10 years medaling with 3d stuffs. I had them all connected and 3d vision has never work a single time, even its' battery had failed. What an awakening.

Tested your EDID. It activated the 3d vision emitter. Emitters' 3d on/off switch and Separation adjustment knob are all functioning. Its' effects are seen on the TV screen but cannot be verified without a working 3d vision glass unfortunately. All I wished is to play 3d games at 1080p at 60hz instead of 24hz. Without EDID at 1080p, checkerboard mode works at 60hz.

I will take your wisdom to remove the 3d vision equipment. Thank you very much for kindness and generosity.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Yes, you must disconnect every 3d vision equipment.
I think you should start the whole process over. Because the last time you created the registry backups you were in active 3d mode, and thus the incorrect registry values got saved. You should start over with all 3d vision stuff disconnected. Remove everything in safe mode with DDU, and also delete the reg file that you formerly created.

DDU removes the saved displays too, so the edid override will be gone too. It will still be available at the selectable drivers though, so no need for speical booting.
Ignore the funny langauge....
driver.jpg
Every time you use ddu you must enforce the edid override driver to your display again. You should do this after you used ddu but BEFORE wou install any 3d vision driver !

So:
Use DDU in safe mode.
Install old nvidia driver via 3d fix manager.
Enforce edid mod driver.
Install 3d vision via 3d fix manager, check if 3d vision panel works.
Save regisrty values.
Use DDU in safe mode.
Istall new nvidia driver.
Enforce edid mod driver.
Install 3d vision via 3d fix manager.
Use the registry file you created.
Copy the 3d vision files to windows driver repository.
Reboot.

If everything went well, you should see this in the nvidia control panel:
whatshould.jpg
This means that the 3d format is now your TV's native method. There is no need for any kind of conversion (like from side-by-side or top-and-bottom), so you don't need to select any 3d mode on your TV.
Your game should look like this:
scanlines.jpg
The lines of the 3d will only align to your TV's 3d lines if you are using native resolution.
civilwar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by civilwar »

@Innuendo1231,
Complete reinstallation as per your instruction. Nvidia driver installed is 528.49. Nvidia Stereoscopic Test is finally at 1080p 60hz with the LG TV automatically switched into 3D mode. We are very glad to see it finally working correctly.
Screenshot attached. Thank you so much for your kind help.
Screenshot.zip
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Very good :mrgreen:
Glad to help
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”