Can the 3D Vision2 kit work with "not 3D" 120Hz TV ?

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Re: Can the 3D Vision2 kit work with "not 3D" 120Hz TV ?

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:58 am Editing the profiles is fine too. Everything should work he same for the other resolutions when playing in non 2d, except the HDR due to the custom INF. In CRU tool, the entire can be delete to revert back to the original EDID. To play in 2d mode, as long as you have the resolutions that support higher refresh rates create in CRU tool or NCP, you can uncheck the stereoscopic 3d tab in NCP to play in 2d.

Dual booting could be good to have one with the latest nvidia drivers while playing in 2d. Everything should work with the 3d drivers for 2d gaming except HDR mode.

Yes, click on "To NvStress.dll", it all will be save and the timing of the glasses should be changed to the ones in the profile. The microsyncing may occur, take note it if it syncs up or downward, then you may need to increase the frequency of the nvtimingsed to the next thousandth decimal number.

I'm going to have to see if I can get other frequencies working to get rid of the microsync issue. The frequency at 120.04hz on nvtimingsED seems to be where it's most reduced.
I clicked on "To NVStress.dll", saved the 2 files and overwrote the original ones. NVTimingsEd gave me a message saying I should most-likely reboot. I did. Started the game, this time no red-writing nor green 3D Vision writing...but the 3D looks exactly the same as before. No change :cry:
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Is adaptive sync turned on in the monitor. What's the resolution and the frequency in the monitor? Try flipping over the 3d glasses to see if it reduces the crosstalk. The nvtimingsED tool has a selection to swap the eyes of the glasses, make sure that is correct.

My go to to check on if the 3d is syncing properly, is the nividia 3d preview thing that comes with the installation of 3d vision. This is where I check how it syncs up and make sure the resolution and frequencies are correct in fullscreen mode.

So, this is where you must become familiar with tuning the glasses to reduce the crosstalk. The profile I've created should be good enough to start seeing a good 3d vision image.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:25 am Is adaptive sync turned on in the monitor. What's the resolution and the frequency in the monitor? Try flipping over the 3d glasses to see if it reduces the crosstalk. The nvtimingsED tool has a selection to swap the eyes of the glasses, make sure that is correct.

My go to to check on if the 3d is syncing properly, is the nividia 3d preview thing that comes with the installation of 3d vision. This is where I check how it syncs up and make sure the resolution and frequencies are correct in fullscreen mode.

So, this is where you must become familiar with tuning the glasses to reduce the crosstalk. The profile I've created should be good enough to start seeing a good 3d vision image.
The 3D image literally looks identical from when we started before we did any custom timings (just custom INF). It hasn't even changed. Not only is there bad ghosting in each eye but, with both eyes open, I'm seeing eeach eye's image at the same time. It's not like it's gotten worse or better since we started, it literally hasn't changed one bit. I flipped the glasses buit it makes no difference.

Adaptive sync and VRR set to off.

The monitor's refresh rate in it's OSD says 240. It's said 240 this whole time yet Windows says 120. If I change the monitor to 120 from the monitor's OSD itself, then Windows says 60 (and it looks like 60 too due to the poor smoothness). Was I supposed to change the monitor's refresh rate to 120 Hz via the monitor's OSD before making any custom timing and INF/EDID changes? Also, I copy and pasted your INF therefore I didn't use Toasy CRU at all. Am I still supposed to use Toasty CRU?

UPDATE: Once I'm in the game, I changed refresh rate right from monitor's OSD from 240 to 120 to 60 Hz. No difference in the 3D image, still seeing a double image. Flipping glasses doesn't help.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Yup, still need to use CRU to create those resolutions in the pictures. Also, you may need to delete other resolutions if it goes into other frequencies that's not 120hz.

It only works with adaptive sync turned ON, vvr doesn't matter on or off in the monitor. That should do it, if the OSD in the monitor information shows 120hz, it will work. Changing the monitor refresh rate to 120hz as well before turning on adaptive sync. Also, make sure CRU monitor ID is AUS27B1
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

[delete]
Last edited by spin1 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 am Yup, still need to use CRU to create those resolutions in the pictures. Also, you may need to delete other resolutions if it goes into other frequencies that's not 120hz.

It only works with adaptive sync turned ON, vvr doesn't matter on or off in the monitor. That should do it, if the OSD in the monitor information shows 120hz, it will work. Changing the monitor refresh rate to 120hz as well before turning on adaptive sync. Also, make sure CRU monitor ID is AUS27B1
I thought by copying and pasting your INF and then installing that INF, that that did the same as CRU?...When I open CRU, all the numbers match your pics even though I never actually used CRU to make any changes...So what am I supposed to actually do in CRU?
treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 am Yup, still need to use CRU to create those resolutions in the pictures. Also, you may need to delete other resolutions if it goes into other frequencies that's not 120hz.
I don't think it's going into other refresh rates. Windows, the game, and the Nvidia Control panel are all reporting 120 Hz, it's just the monitor's OSD that's reporting 240 Hz. If I go into the monitor's OSD and change it to 120 Hz from there, then Windows and Nvidia Control Panel will report 60 Hz (and it definitely looks like 60 Hz). I think the monitor's OSD is wrong.

UPDATE: I enabled adaptive sync and now it works! :) :) :) The top half of the screen will have bad crosstalk with the bottom good, then the whole screen will be good, then the top half will be good with the bottom half bad and it keeps repeating this every minute or so. I'm assuming this is the sync issue you're talking about?
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

That's awesome to hear! yeah, that's the microsync issue, but mine has really slow where it takes like 2-3 minutes to notice it slowly creeping upward. That's at the 120.04hz, if it's further from that it will microsync faster.

The other issue I talked about it that it doesn't sync up perfectly as well, either crosstalk at the top or bottom, usually on the third try it good enough with little to no crosstalk.

I did get it have no microsync at 144hz when I tested it out a long time ago, I will need to go back to that to see what's happening.

So there you go, tinker with nvtimingsED to see if it changes anything for the micro sync issue. I'll post something if I find a solution.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 am That's awesome to hear! yeah, that's the microsync issue, but mine has really slow where it takes like 2-3 minutes to notice it slowly creeping upward. That's at the 120.04hz, if it's further from that it will microsync faster.

The other issue I talked about it that it doesn't sync up perfectly as well, either crosstalk at the top or bottom, usually on the third try it good enough with little to no crosstalk.

I did get it have no microsync at 144hz when I tested it out a long time ago, I will need to go back to that to see what's happening.

So there you go, tinker with nvtimingsED to see if it changes anything for the micro sync issue. I'll post something if I find a solution.
There are around 20 different settings to change in NVTimingsEd. Are we ignoring them all except the 3 glasses timings settings on the right?

Is it possible for any of the settings to affect how much light gets through the glasses? With the glasses off, I have set my Asus PG27VQ / PG27V to around the same brightness as the Samsung G7 but the Asus seems a fair bit brighter with the glasses on...I'll test again in a bit because it's lighter out now and I tested the Asus yesterday so maybe I'm remembering wrong but assuming I'm not, can any of those timings affect how much brightness we see through the glasses?

P.S. When the parts of the screen are in sync, crosstalk is LITERALLY non-existent to my eyes even with dark objects on light backgrounds. The Samsung Odyssey G7's 3D crosstalk, or rather lack of, is far superior to the best official 3D monitors like the Dell S2716DG / S2716DGR, Asus PG278Q, Asus PG278QR, and Asus PG27V / PG27VQ. When the parts of the screen sync accordingly on the Samsung G7, I see honestly 0 crosstalk and 0 inverse crosstalk. If only we can get the entire screen to be fully synced at all times.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

There are around 20 different settings to change in NVTimingsEd. Are we ignoring them all except the 3 glasses timings settings on the right?
I'm not sure if the monitor settings to the left actually does anything that affects the timing of the glasses. Everything on the right of side of the nvtimingsED does, as for as how the glasses strobe on/off. The only part I find that affects the syncing of the glasses is the frequency at the bottom left of nvtimingsED, but I have yet to see if there's changing the timing of the 3d glasses strobing affects the micro syncing enough to keep it steady.
Is it possible for any of the settings to affect how much light gets through the glasses?
So because we aren't using a blacklight strobing on the monitor, we instead need to close the width of the 3d glasses in order to reduce the crosstalk. You can adjust the W to a larger value to get more light to come through the glasses but will introduce more crosstalk. The Y value moves the crosstalk up or down, so we can try to get a non crosstalk screen to the center of the monitor. The X value doesn't need to be changed.

Yeah, the G7 really shines with 3d vision because we get the best VA technology available. TN monitors still stuck in the past, but they still provide a very good response time and good blacklight strobing. There's going to be newer TN monitors coming out so we might get brighter, faster, more colorful, hopefully bigger TN monitors.

Yeah, if we can get the microsync issue fix, it will be perfect. I want to test oled technology next, 48" C1 is pretty cheap now, it has a BFI and the bigger screen should provide at least a non-crosstalk free image at the center to make it workable.

EDIT: so in CRU tools and nvtimingsED, there's a range of frequencies we can change to find which works best to fix the micro sync issue. That's what I've been playing with, so we can choose any frequency pairing of both the tools as long as the red lettering doesn't pop up. It's pretty easy to pin down, it either syncs up or down, fast or slowly, so we just need to narrow it down to the correct frequency for it to not micro sync.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

I plugged my PG27VQ in to compare the 3D. I ran a 3D game on the Asus for a bit, no problems, I then returned to the Samsung by making it the primary monitor in NVCP but I can't get 3D working good because adaptive sync got turned off and it's greyed out so I can't turn it back on. I checked CRU and NVTimingsED and all the numbers are still good there so I have no idea what's going on. Any ideas?

Sorry, I got a little lost with what settings to adjust for 3D...Are you able to provide a list of which settings I should be looking into tweaking for 3D? There are so many in NVTimingsEd. Should we also be messing with CRU or, at this point, is it purely just NVTimingsEd that we use to tune the 3D?

Do we really need to reboot everytime we make even a single, tiny change in NVTimingsEd like it advises? I can see tuning all sorts of different combos of numbers and settings to take an incredibly long time if we have to reboot the PC after any and every change...
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I can't get 3D working good because adaptive sync got turned off and it's greyed out so I can't turn it back on
Might be a setting in monitor OSD that is turned on like VRR, or the frequency is set correctly on the computer. Not sure what happened, you could reset the settings in the monitor, and delete the CRU profile. CRU uses different profiles for different monitors plugged in, so it shouldn't affect a another monitor. Strange that the adaptec sync is greyed out.
Are you able to provide a list of which settings I should be looking into tweaking for 3D? There are so many in NVTimingsEd.
I have no clue what the monitor values means. There's only a handful of monitor IDs that seems to work with non 3d monitors. The timing of the glasses won't need to be changed because that should be as good as it gets. So really it's only the frequency and the monitor values that needs to be figured out for the micro sync issue.

Also, if you try to create a profile for 144hz from an existing profile in NVtimingsEd, make sure the encode/decode is copied from it. Because using the 120hz profiles to 144hz won't work, causing the game to crash or not start. At 144hz, the timing of the glasses will need to be re-tuned, so you can mess around with the timing of the glasses for that.

So in CRU, there's a possibility that monitor values are causing the micro sync issue, changing those might resolve it. Now when you go to restart the monitor with the CRU restart tool and the monitor doesn't display back, then you'll need to unplug the displayport and plug in the hdmi (vice versa), delete the CRU profile to get the monitor to display back again.
Do we really need to reboot everytime we make even a single, tiny change in NVTimingsEd like it advises
Nope, no need to restart the computer with each change in NVtimingsED, just click on "To NvStress.dll". For CRU resolution changes, you'll need to use the CRU restart tool however. No restarting of the computer is necessary.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:49 pm
I can't get 3D working good because adaptive sync got turned off and it's greyed out so I can't turn it back on
Might be a setting in monitor OSD that is turned on like VRR, or the frequency is set correctly on the computer. Not sure what happened, you could reset the settings in the monitor, and delete the CRU profile. CRU uses different profiles for different monitors plugged in, so it shouldn't affect a another monitor. Strange that the adaptec sync is greyed out.
Are you able to provide a list of which settings I should be looking into tweaking for 3D? There are so many in NVTimingsEd.
I have no clue what the monitor values means. There's only a handful of monitor IDs that seems to work with non 3d monitors. The timing of the glasses won't need to be changed because that should be as good as it gets. So really it's only the frequency and the monitor values that needs to be figured out for the micro sync issue.

Also, if you try to create a profile for 144hz from an existing profile in NVtimingsEd, make sure the encode/decode is copied from it. Because using the 120hz profiles to 144hz won't work, causing the game to crash or not start. At 144hz, the timing of the glasses will need to be re-tuned, so you can mess around with the timing of the glasses for that.

So in CRU, there's a possibility that monitor values are causing the micro sync issue, changing those might resolve it. Now when you go to restart the monitor with the CRU restart tool and the monitor doesn't display back, then you'll need to unplug the displayport and plug in the hdmi (vice versa), delete the CRU profile to get the monitor to display back again.
Do we really need to reboot everytime we make even a single, tiny change in NVTimingsEd like it advises
Nope, no need to restart the computer with each change in NVtimingsED, just click on "To NvStress.dll". For CRU resolution changes, you'll need to use the CRU restart tool however. No restarting of the computer is necessary.
OK. When you mention monitor values need to be adjusted to try and fix the sync issue, what values are you referring to? Are you referring to all the values under "Parameters" like visible, front porch, sync width, back porch, blanking, total, etc. (and for both horizontal and vertical) in NVTimingsEd?

Regarding CRU...I don't see any settings there that are not in NVTimingsEd therefore should I just ignore CRU tool and stick with only NVTimingsED when trying to tune the micro sync issue since it has all the same settings as CRU and more?

I'm going to stick with 120 Hz for now to keep things simple (no glasses re-tuning).

If we can get the sync figured out to at least a game-playable level, I'm going to buy 2 more for surround to replace my current Surround 3D setup (for racing sims). When I do that, is it just a matter of repeating the process for the other 2 monitors and then enabling NVidia Surround or do all the timings for the monitor and glasses need to be re-done and re-experimented with from scratch when running NVidia Surround (7680x1440 and another revolution with bezel compensation, say 7780 x 1440)?
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

I've been messing around with frequency in NVTimingsEd. It seems increasing the frequency just makes the cycle of ghosting from top to bottom happen quicker. There's no fundasmental change to what's going on, it just makes it happen quicker up until about 120.5 Hz, after that, 3D won't be seen with the glasses and the red writing appears.

I only adjusted frequency in NVTimingsEd though, does it matter if I make the change via NVTimingsEd VS making the change in CRU VS both?

Does it make a difference if we input the exact same values but use a different monitor's profile, for eg. , I think the PG27V / PG27VQ is AUS-27B4. If we use that in NVTimings but have all the numbers in all the settings of NVTimings set identically, is it possible to have any improvements or is it the same since the numbers being input are the same?
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

OK. I'm also changing frequency in CRU along with NVTimings. Now I keep getting the red writing on game startup. I tried many different combos like 120.5 120.009 120.389. I'm just trying random numbers, don't really know what I'm doing, lol.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

OK. I'm also changing frequency in CRU along with NVTimings. Now I keep getting the red writing on game startup.
So the frequencies will need to be closely match within CRU and nvtimings, like within the thousandths of a decimal. Then the red letters will appear if not within range.
I've been messing around with frequency in NVTimingsEd. It seems increasing the frequency just makes the cycle of ghosting from top to bottom happen quicker.
The closest I've ever got for the slowest micro sync is 120.04hz. I mean it could be a lower value like in the 119.xx range that could stop the sync. you'll need to test it. I've already spent countless hours trying. Once you become more familiar with the process, you might even try 144hz to see if it will be better with the microsync. I've included a profile in this thread when I first started playing with the G7 at 144hz, so that's there.
I only adjusted frequency in NVTimingsEd though, does it matter if I make the change via NVTimingsEd VS making the change in CRU VS both?
Just stick with adjusting the frequency in NVtimingsEd, the CRU is just for creating custom resolutions. But the frequency in CRU must also be change to match up with the frequency of NVtimingsEd so the red letters don't appear.
Does it make a difference if we input the exact same values but use a different monitor's profile
From what I've notice is that I've ony successfully got 2 other monitors IDs working, one is ACI_0858 and ACR_27B1 (or something). Also, neither may not successfully work at QHD. So you may need to experiment with it.

Also, I could not find profiles to work with games at other frequencies beyond 120hz and 144hz. It has to do with the encode/decode values, and I have no clue what these are for.

I mean, keep playing around with it until you become very familiar with it. I made it this far with just trial and error. So now it's up to you to resolve this micro sync issue we have. :D

you can actually use NVtimingED for your 3d official monitors as well, to see what it does. I play with it on a 240hz acer predator 1080p, I got a sharper image than with the stock profile. Brightness was about the same, and this one has the so-called lightboost setting for the brightness of the BFI.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:57 pm
OK. I'm also changing frequency in CRU along with NVTimings. Now I keep getting the red writing on game startup.
So the frequencies will need to be closely match within CRU and nvtimings, like within the thousandths of a decimal. Then the red letters will appear if not within range.
I've been messing around with frequency in NVTimingsEd. It seems increasing the frequency just makes the cycle of ghosting from top to bottom happen quicker.
The closest I've ever got for the slowest micro sync is 120.04hz. I mean it could be a lower value like in the 119.xx range that could stop the sync. you'll need to test it. I've already spent countless hours trying. Once you become more familiar with the process, you might even try 144hz to see if it will be better with the microsync. I've included a profile in this thread when I first started playing with the G7 at 144hz, so that's there.
Just stick with adjusting the frequency in NVtimingsEd, the CRU is just for creating custom resolutions. But the frequency in CRU must also be change to match up with the frequency of NVtimingsEd so the red letters don't appear.
Does it make a difference if we input the exact same values but use a different monitor's profile
From what I've notice is that I've ony successfully got 2 other monitors IDs working, one is ACI_0858 and ACR_27B1 (or something). Also, neither may not successfully work at QHD. So you may need to experiment with it.

Also, I could not find profiles to work with games at other frequencies beyond 120hz and 144hz. It has to do with the encode/decode values, and I have no clue what these are for.

I mean, keep playing around with it until you become very familiar with it. I made it this far with just trial and error. So now it's up to you to resolve this micro sync issue we have. :D

you can actually use NVtimingED for your 3d official monitors as well, to see what it does. I play with it on a 240hz acer predator 1080p, I got a sharper image than with the stock profile. Brightness was about the same, and this one has the so-called lightboost setting for the brightness of the BFI.
Thanks. Will play around more with it later. I wonder if "total", "front porch", etc. etc. affect anything. Even if the microsync cycle is slow, the games are still unplayable because while a slow sync means having a screen with good vision (little to no crosstalk) for a longer time, it also means having the portion of the cycle with very bad lower-screen crosstalk and upper-screen crosstalk for a longer time so I need to find a way to get rid of it rather than just adjust how long the cycle lasts via frequency.

I'll experiment with 144 Hz. How do I create the resolution though? Other than manually typing in 2560 & 1440 for horizontal & vertical res, and 144.xx Hz for frequency, do I just let CRU and NVTimingsEd automatically fill in all the rest of the fields (total, back porch, sync width, blanking, etc.)?

I really hope I can get this to a playable level, the 32" size over 27" is fantastic for gaming - more beautiful & more immersive - and I think the 1000R curvature is awesome. Unlike so many people, I don't think 1000R is too much at all. In fact, prior to trying out a curved screen, the experience of 1000R is sort of what I was expecting. When I tried 1800R - which was the first time I ever tried a curved screen (27" monitor) - I felt like it wasn't even curved at all and was underwhelmed. The 1000R and 32" combo is brilliant, even more-so if you're close to your screens as I am (around 21" or 53 cm away). On top of all that, 240 Hz / 2D, at least with the low response times of this monitor, is awesome. The ghosting of the Samsung Odyssey G7, or lack of, at 240 Hz / fps absolutely obliterates both of my very fast TN monitors, the Asus PG27VQ / PG27V (@ 165 Hz / fps) and the Dell S2716DG / S2716DGR (@ 144 Hz / fps). The blurbusters tests with the scrolling background pictures of the buildings, the Eiffel Towers, etc. show a huge difference and improvement going from those supposedly fast TNs to the Samsung. I always felt my TNs were crap in terms of non-strobing blur despite their response times numbers "on paper" and on testing site data. The Samy G7 is the first monitor I've ever been happy with in terms of non-strobing blur since moving from CRT 15 years ago. I really, really hope this 3D sync issue can be resolved in order to make the G7 useable in 3D. I don't want to sell it :(
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Been trying for over an hour. I can't get rid of the red message with 144 Hz no matter what I do. I keep messing with frequency in CRU and NVTimings. I put them both to 144 Hz, 144.1, 144.001, 144.002, 144.003, etc. Nothing gets rid of the red writing. Do you have a general guideline of what I should be doing? Just aimlessly trying random numbers isn't working for me, lol. I see you posted a 144 Hz profile before but it's for 1080p, not 1440p...
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

High refresh rates and super low refresh timing is awesome for motion clarity. Next gen TN monitor is suppose to hit 500hz, I'd rather just go with oled for high refresh rates at this point. I still prefer a backlight strobing for a stronger 3d effect and motion clarity. The 3D on the G7 for movies isn't so great, because the 3d effects are subtle (from the movie) and can't be adjusted. The G7 is the unicorn for 3d vision, at the moment, nothing comes close in terms of lcd performance. I really hoping next gen OLED monitors will produce similar results or better, still too expensive at the moment.
Been trying for over an hour. I can't get rid of the red message with 144 Hz no matter what I do
The red message will also come up if the newly created nvtiming3d profile isn't correct for 144hz. You'll have to experiment and try to find a profile that will work. There's a list of them in the other monitor IDs. As long as the frequency is close in CRU and nvtimingsed, the red message will not show up.

I will try to find a working profile for 1440p 144hz.

So, I'm sort of at a lost with the micro syncing issue. Currently, I not putting too much time into playing with the G7 because it's just a small hobby I'm getting back into.

I really hope you can figure it out. Let me know if you do. And hope someone comes along to figure out the G7 micro sync issue.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 am High refresh rates and super low refresh timing is awesome for motion clarity. Next gen TN monitor is suppose to hit 500hz, I'd rather just go with oled for high refresh rates at this point. I still prefer a backlight strobing for a stronger 3d effect and motion clarity. The 3D on the G7 for movies isn't so great, because the 3d effects are subtle (from the movie) and can't be adjusted.
Are you aware of the "registry hack" to change the reported 3D monitor size? It changes how much depth you can at 100% For eg. If you change screen size from a 27" monitor to a 13.5" monitor, the 3D depth at 100% will be doubled. It's been used for games for a long time and even included in the 3D Fix Manager program.
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 amThe G7 is the unicorn for 3d vision, at the moment, nothing comes close in terms of lcd performance.
It's the unicorn if we can get it to work. At the moment it's unplayable due to the sync issue.
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 amI really hoping next gen OLED monitors will produce similar results or better, still too expensive at the moment.
Been trying for over an hour. I can't get rid of the red message with 144 Hz no matter what I do
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 amThe red message will also come up if the newly created nvtiming3d profile isn't correct for 144hz. You'll have to experiment and try to find a profile that will work. There's a list of them in the other monitor IDs. As long as the frequency is close in CRU and nvtimingsed, the red message will not show up.
What do you mean by the "profile isn't correct for 144 Hz"? Are you referring to the other settings like porch, total, sync width, blanking, etc. If so, are you talking about those settings in CRU or NVTimings or both?
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 amI will try to find a working profile for 1440p 144hz.
I read a post from you saying you got it to also work with 160 Hz. Is that the highest you've been able to achieve?
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:56 amSo, I'm sort of at a lost with the micro syncing issue. Currently, I not putting too much time into playing with the G7 because it's just a small hobby I'm getting back into.

I really hope you can figure it out. Let me know if you do. And hope someone comes along to figure out the G7 micro sync issue.
Ya, I'm perfectly willing to spend hours, days trying different settings, the problem at the moment is I have no idea what I'm doing. It's like throwing a bunch of metal bits in a pot and hoping an airplane comes out, lol. I have no method, no understand, or anything of the underlying basics of what I'm doing. I don't even understand the difference between NVTimings and CRU. I mean, how can I put 120.000 Hz in NVTimingsEd yet 121.000 Hz in CRU? How can my monitor be refreshing at 2 different refresh rates at the same time? Which one is it? 120 or 121? Why are there 2? What's the difference?

What are all the monitor timings in NVTimingsEd doing compared to CRU? When I should lean more towards changing a setting in CRU instead of NVTimings and vice-versa, etc.? Other than the glasses timings section what's the point of NVTimings when we can make all the exact changes in CRU? What's the difference?

There are literally billions of combinations of numbers and settings to use in combination with both programs (CRU & NVTimings) together....billions.

What about the other settings like porch, total, blanking, sync width, etc. are we supposed to be experimenting with those too to get the 3d working properly? If so, do we adjust them in NVTimings? CRU? Both?

Some of those settings have to be selected (clickable circle). For example, you have to select only 1 between back porch, blanking, and total. You can't select all 3. What does that mean? If I select blanking, does that mean my monitor so in "blanking mode" as opposed to "back porch" mode or "total" mode? If so, which mode of the 3 is better?

Same with Frequency. We can check only 1 at a time between the following: Refresh rate, Horizontal, and pixel clock.

In 3DTimingsEd, do I have to ever use the two decode and encode buttons?

What happens if I, for example, set 1440p in CRU and 1080p in 3DTimings? Obviously a monitor can't operate at 1440p and 1080p simultaneously so what happens then? Is my monitor listening to what I tell it to do via CRU or is my monitor listening to NVTimings?

I think I need to get educated more on what it is I'm doing before I can have even a remote chance of improving things. I tried looking up tutorials on youtube for CRU but it's just basic stuff, people just changing resolutions to custom ones which, let's face it, can be done in the NV Control Panel without the need for CRU. I'll probably post in the BlurBusters forums. I'm pretty sure that's where the ToastyX CRU program came from. I'm sure all the monitor-tech gurus on that site will be able to assist us with what direction to take with all the settings and numbers available to us.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

This is not making any sense and getting incredibly frustrating. I just returned all the settings back to the original numbers from when we started. Blanking, total, frequency, etc. etc. all back to the numbers they were set to in both NVTimings and CRU and, guess what? I'm still getting the red writing come up. How does that make sense when all the settings are identical to when it worked? This makes absolutely no sense to me. What's the problem?
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Are you aware of the "registry hack" to change the reported 3D monitor size?
That's interesting. Link? I mean the 3d effect is great on the G7 for, it's just the parallax for movies are so small it doesn't come through very well. Would be great if I could increase this for movies. I've been getting into creating 3d effects on images/videos and it looks pretty awesome on the G7.
What do you mean by the "profile isn't correct for 144 Hz"?
It means that the encode/decode numbers aren't correct for the profile at 144hz. It needs to be specific, I'm guessing, to the resolution and refresh rate. Because if you check the encode/decode of other profiles in other monitor IDs, they are all different.
I don't even understand the difference between NVTimings and CRU. I mean, how can I put 120.000 Hz in NVTimingsEd yet 121.000 Hz in CRU?
Ok, CRU tool is only for monitor resolution, only for the monitor. NVtimingsED is only for the 3D glasses. It only needs to match in refresh rate in order to not have the red letters show up. The program has to be that specific in order to time the glasses correctly to the monitor. So you can't set 121hz in nvtiminged and expect it to work with 120hz on the monitor. It needs to be identical in refresh rate or within range so it can sync properly with the monitor.

I'm as lost as you are when in comes to what all these values do in the programs.

Each NvtimingsED needs specific profile for resolution and refresh rate. If the profile is correct in NvtimingEds, starting the game in any resolution that is NVtiminged will work. If it doesn't have the profile, it won't work in 3d vision.

Ok, the thing is I can run the games at 85hz, 100hz, 165hz only with the default 3d vision glasses timing. I can't edit NvtimingsED because I don't have those profiles to change the timing of the glasses. It has to do with the encode/decode number, and I don't know what these are suppose to be for those resolutions. Or if they even work with NVtimingsEd.

I have no clue either on how anything of this stuff works. I'm just glad it works because it opens up more possibilities for 3d vision.

You may need to ask the developers of these tools or something more knowledgeable in monitor tech. Blurbuster has a forum, CRU tools has a forum. NvtimingED has a github, so you may be able to ask for help there.

But yeah, let me know of the registry hack for the strong 3d effect, and I'll try it on the G7.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 am
Are you aware of the "registry hack" to change the reported 3D monitor size?
That's interesting. Link? I mean the 3d effect is great on the G7 for, it's just the parallax for movies are so small it doesn't come through very well. Would be great if I could increase this for movies. I've been getting into creating 3d effects on images/videos and it looks pretty awesome on the G7.
This is for Win 7 though, I can't find where the Windows 8.1 and 10 versions are because it might be different for them. I stopped manually changing it in the registery because 3D Fix Manager does it via it's GUI. It's a very, very common trick to get more depth. I'm sure tons of ppl on these forums know exactly which registry to change for Win 10.

Note, every time you turn the PC off (or reinstall drivers), you have to re-do it. If you create a notepad file or script or whatever it's called, it takes 2 seconds to just double-click the file rather than manually going into the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]

The LOWER the value, the higher the depth multiplier.

Again, though, that's Win 7. May be in a different spot for Win 10
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 am
What do you mean by the "profile isn't correct for 144 Hz"?
It means that the encode/decode numbers aren't correct for the profile at 144hz. It needs to be specific, I'm guessing, to the resolution and refresh rate. Because if you check the encode/decode of other profiles in other monitor IDs, they are all different.
Oh geez, now I'm even more confused, lol. I have never touched the encode / decode numbers apart from setting up the original profile that we started with. I was changing the frequency before (120.001, 120.002, 120.100, etc.) without typing in or pasting any sort of new encode/decode numbers and the 3D was still working (I was able to speed up and slow down the sync's cycle). Are you sure you need to put in a new encode/decode number every time you make a change to frequency? If so then how was I able to make frequency changes before without ever touching the encode/decode #s?
I don't even understand the difference between NVTimings and CRU. I mean, how can I put 120.000 Hz in NVTimingsEd yet 121.000 Hz in CRU?
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 am Ok, CRU tool is only for monitor resolution, only for the monitor. NVtimingsED is only for the 3D glasses. It only needs to match in refresh rate in order to not have the red letters show up. The program has to be that specific in order to time the glasses correctly to the monitor. So you can't set 121hz in nvtiminged and expect it to work with 120hz on the monitor. It needs to be identical in refresh rate or within range so it can sync properly with the monitor.
Are you sure? NVTimingsEd has settings for resolution, blanking, total, back porch, etc. Aren't those settings specifically for a monitor and not glassed? How can there be a resolution adjustment for the glasses? Aren't they essentially just 2 pixels (1 pixel per eye)?

treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 am Each NvtimingsED needs specific profile for resolution and refresh rate.
What do you mean by "specific profile"? I was able to change frequency in NVTimingsED just fine before along with some of the glasses timings without issue nor having to create a new profile to match. What exactly are you referring to when you say "profile" and "specific profile"?
treeeddd wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:49 am You may need to ask the developers of these tools or something more knowledgeable in monitor tech. Blurbuster has a forum, CRU tools has a forum. NvtimingED has a github, so you may be able to ask for help there.
I posted in BlurBusters. Once the post gets approved (new account), I'll let you know what they say.

EDIT: For the 3D Depth hack, 1st post here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ver-need-/
Create a registry value called monitorsizeoverride and then it should stay permanently unless you reinstall your drivers.
Last edited by spin1 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Oh, one last thing. I'm pretty sure the encode/decode #s shouldn't be a problem. There's nothing to figure out...Whenever you make any changes in NVTimingsEd, just click "encode" and the program will generate the numbers for the exact profile you created so there's no having to find the perfect string of decode/encode #s. You automatically create the string yourself based on your changes.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

just click "encode" and the program will generate the numbers
oh nice I never knew that. I hope it works for other resolutions, because the games will lock up. The IPS monitor I have seems to work well at 85hz with BFI, still crosstalk at the top and bottom, but it works. So I'm hoping to find an IPS panel for 3d vision, lower refresh rates seem to produce better 3d effect as well. IPS looks good too, it's still a bit too slow for non-crosstalk at higher refresh rates.
you need to put in a new encode/decode number every time you make a change to frequency?
No, that's not it. It's only for big changes in refresh rates that new profiles need to be created because the monitor values all change. So you'll need a new profile for 144hz to suite the monitor values at that resolution and refresh rate. Just like you have the 120hz profiles for 1080p and 1440p, they don't have the same monitor values need for nvtimingsed to make it sync correctly. So if you want to try 165hz, the monitor values will be different and a new nvtimingsed profile for 165hz will need to be created in order for the glasses to sync without red lettering showing. Just check out the other monitor IDs in nvtimingED, they all have different profiles for the resolutions and refresh rates.

Small incremental changes to the frequency can still use the same monitor values, so no new profile is need for each small changes in frequency.
Are you sure? NVTimingsEd has settings for resolution, blanking, total, back porch, etc. Aren't those settings specifically for a monitor and not glassed?
yeah, those are just values that need to be the same as the values in CRU. Though, I find it doesn't need to match up perfectly however for the profile to work. I don't have a clue to what these values do for the 3d glasses. Because, the values in CRU are the ones used by the monitor. If you can figure out what they are far, by all means have it.

It's kinda strange that no one seems to have touched on NVtimingED and posted anything online about it. I guess there weren't any monitors that could utilize it until now. I'm sure it can be use with gaming projectors as well.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

By the way, regarding the registry 3D depth "hack", when I applied it on the Samsung G7, it seemed to mess up 3D. The image kind of looked like the image we get in 3D when the red writing message comes on. You can tell 3D is working but it's not correct somehow and un-useable so I'm not sure what's going on.

When using the registry depth "hack" with official 3D monitors, it works as intended, you just get more depth/separation, the 3D doesn't mess up in any way. It's amazing. I usually run what the equivalent to 150% depth would be with most racing games. The depth or distance you're looking at far off down the length of the track and into the distance just looks incredible.

I don't know why it messes up 3D when using it with the G7 / custom profiles.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:15 pm Advanced 3D Vision Configuration also has monitor size override
https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2015/10/a ... ation.html

AFAIK, the default size is twice that of the display. As in, my 27 inch monitor has a default setting of 54.
It can be very helpful with Projector screens, because there is no way for Nvidia drivers to know what the size of the screen is,
it can be 80 to 300 inches easily, depending on the end users setup.
Yup. Unless using the override registry edit, then I don't think you double it if I remember correctly.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:45 pm You might try using Nvidia's create custom resolution option to make a 120Hz CVT Reduced Blank profile, this was what worked on my projector. You cam also try
other options like GTF or DMT, but you have to watch that the porch settings update. Sometimes you have to switch back and forth to make it happen, it's kind of buggy.
Sweet, thanks. I'll try. I desperately want to get 3D working properly on the G7 especially at over 120 Hz (but at least 120 Hz). Willing to pay multiple-hundreds of dollars to someone who can do so. In the mean-time, I'll keep experimenting and give your idea a try. Thx!
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I got the microsync down a bit more from 120.04hz to 120.03hz, slightly more playable for a short time. Still the issue of it not syncing up correctly. Trying other refresh rates has some weird light flashing going on, so really it not even worth trying to play at 144hz or even 100hz. More crosstalk too at 144hz.

I did successfully get 85hz to work, still light flashing but the 3d glasses does a good job to minimize it. No micro sync issue, no not syncing up properly when starting up. So it's good, the 3d effect is stronger as well due to the lower refresh rate. It's not quite as smooth as 120hz, but you can switch between refresh rates for 3d vision gameplay. Also, absolutely no crosstalk at 85hz, still has the overdrive shadows though. Only works with adaptive or freesync turned on, did try it over hdmi as well.

Here's the profile:

BD870000A00A000A010AA000310A2000DF05A005A1053F00A4050500 7A270200204801000600000060EA000003040102

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

85 Hz is probably too low for me, being only 42.5 fps / eye. That'll probably be too low for sim racing. Low fps can affect gameplay as well as, sometimes (depending on game), the force feedback coming through the steering wheel (and possibly other peripherals). I'll still give it a shot though.
treeeddd wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:01 pm I got the microsync down a bit more from 120.04hz to 120.03hz
What exactly did you change to achieve this? Did you literally just enter 120.03 instead of 120.04 for the refresh rate and that's it? Because I tried like 20 different refresh rates and I couldn't get any real improvements by just changing a refresh rate digit here or there...Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

By the way, I made the 85 Hz refresh change in CRU and changed the porch vertical from 30 (or was it 33?) to 77 as in your picture. Clicked OK. Then clicked the CRU restart button. Nvidia Control Panel still only displays 60, 120, 144, and 240 Hz though. Am I doing something wrong? I also installed your custom INF but NV CP still only reports 3D Vision Discover for the 3D display type. Not sure what's going on.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

What exactly did you change to achieve this? Did you literally just enter 120.03 instead of 120.04
I changed the values of the vertical blanking value up or down within 3-4 unit to change the refresh rate to 120.003. So a blanking number of 63 line would need to be changed to 59-60 or 66-67, it doesn't seem to matter. Also you want it to micro sync downward, starting with some crosstalk at the bottom of the screen when starting up a game. I always open up 3d vision picture viewer to make sure it syncs up how i want it, which will have the glasses synced up before opening up the game, so you won't have to the game multiple times to get a good sync.
Am I doing something wrong? I also installed your custom INF but NV CP still only reports 3D Vision Discover
Same sort of issues I'm having too when switching from displayport to hdmi. The regedit of CRU override always works for me, instead of changing the monitor INF. Just take any EDID that's already in the monitor section of the regedit, then copy and paste it to the CRU override EDID. Retart CRU again, that should change it to the new EDID, but you'll have to change the monitor ID in CRU to the one that matches your NvtimingsED ID (AUS27B1). This always works for me.

So I've been playing with the monitor values such as sync width, back porch, blanking, total. To which it does nothing to change the micro syncing of the 3d glasses. I guess it has adaptive sync only working at a certain frequency that can't be changed. So the 3d glasses can't be adjusted more, in between 120.03-120.04hz. So it's going to need another way of adjusting the 3d glasses even further or change the value of adaptive sync on the monitor in some way.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Man, I'm having a major brain fart here. I had to re-instal;l drivers and I cannot get Nvidia 3D Vision to show up as anything other than 3D Vision Discover in the NV CP.... CRU, NVTimingsEd, EDID, INF...I keep getting mixed up on all these things. What is the first step I need to do to get my PC to think I have an NV 3DV capable monitor? Restart with certification verification disabled, install the custom INF via Windows Device Manager, then restart PC? I've done that and it's not working. I don't remember how I did it the first time.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:24 am First check device manager and make sure that Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D USB controller shows up, if it has a yellow triangle, something is wrong.

Second, make sure that the display is detected as 3D Vision Ready and shows the green logo

Third, the setup wizard must be completed manually or via a bat
3D Vision controller, USB, etc. all show up. It's all installed via and also setup fine. Sometimes I complete the setup with 3D Fix Manager, sometimes I do it with 3D Driver Changer. I never have problems with those steps. It's the display not being detected as a 3D Vision Monitor problem that I'm getting. I didn't have this problem the first time I got 3D Vision working on the Samsung Odyssey G7 but I can't remember what I did besides installing the INF driver which I thought was the solution.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

but I can't remember what I did besides installing the INF driver which I thought was the solution
You did the correct step to change it, but for whatever reason it doesn't stick. Maybe CRU defaults back the stock EDID when a change occurs somewhere. Changing the regedit manually always works for me, to get to at least a "genertic CRT" selection.

Here's the place where you want to copy an EDID from some other monitor in this section of the regedit into the CRU EDID_OVERRIDE value. This will allow you to select in 3d stereoscopic NCP tab. Then do a restart of CRU.

Well, I'm still trying to come up with ideas on how to get the adaptive sync to change value. Now if I can get g-sync to turn on with 3d vision at the same time, that would be something. I've seen someone post something on blurbuster, where they got g-sync working with ULMB.

Windows 10 1903 has VRR support so that might be something to look into to get it to work with 3d vision. I found the official nvidia 3d vision video player allows adjustment of 3d movies, and it works at 85hz.

IDK, I have to play around with it more to see if I can get the adaptive sync to change to a different frequency.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I got a better "micro sync" timing down for the Odyssey G7 at 120hz. To my surprise, it doesn't need to be in adaptive sync to work, it can be work with the monitor set to 240hz in the OSD. Backlight strobing is pretty much useless because the refresh rate is already fast as it can be, which is a good thing. I also notice that you can resync the 3d glasses to the monitor by switching adaptive sync on/off in the OSD without having to relaunch the game. It doesn't always sync up perfectly, so it may need a couple of tries to get it perfectly sync. I can get 30 minutes or more of gameplay before the sync becomes too far off with this new timing. But you may still need to fine tune in some way by setting the monitors values in NVtimingsED, but the refresh rate should stay at 120.003hz.

EDC70000A00A000A010AA000020A00002006A005A1058000A2050000 9D860100204801000600000050DC000003040102

I think I'm pretty much done with this monitor as far as getting the timing down. If I can improve it more, then I'll post an update.

I'm testing an LG gaming monitor next, it should be fast enough for 3d vision with the backlight strobing on, with less overdrive shadows. Hopefully it work!

EDIT: lg 27gn800, no go for 3d vision. too much crosstalk top and bottom, some middle. Not very bright in BFI mode either. Guess IPS monitors just aren't fast enough for 3d vision. It does seem fast enough in the specs, but it needs a better blacklight strobe to lessen the crosstalk. And it would make it even less bright which sucks.
I wonder if you might get better results by disabling the id pin in the cable, this would enable Nvidia's Generic CRT Mode and would also stop the OS and Nvidia's drivers from seeing that the display supports any
type of adaptive/variable sync
So I guess it doesn't need to be in adaptive sync to work, but it does look better in 3d vision. I guess because it's 240hz, it doesn't work well in other refresh rates besides 120hz. But damn, at least it works quite well when there's no micro syncing crosstalk. Wish I could get rid of the overdrive shadows though. The official 3d vision monitors has some special overdrive that eliminated the overdrive shadows, but the image wasn't as sharp though.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”