Understanding GEO11's interaction with 3dvfixes from Helix Mod

theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Understanding GEO11's interaction with 3dvfixes from Helix Mod

Post by theadzter »

Apologies for my lack of understanding of this in advance.

I've been trying to get GEO11 to work with a number of games.

Wondered if I could get some clarification re: the fixes you download on Helix Mods site.

Some of the fixes (eg. Prey 2017/ BF4) don't have the 'loader' portions in their d3dx.ini. I assume then they can't be used for GEO11, so we have to use the d3dx.ini from the geo11 folder.
And therefore those shader fixes won't be applied?
Can we copy sections of the GEO11 d3dx.ini into the game specific fixes d3dx.ini, by any chance?
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Understanding GEO11's interaction with 3dvfixes from Helix Mod

Post by BazzaLB »

I think this is covered well by bo3b here : http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2022/06/an ... river.html

But here's what I do.

Copy over the fix
Copy over geo-11 dlls (I dont even bother with the geo-11 shaderfixes dir and I dont use the dx3d.ini from the geo-11 install)
Copy over the d3dxdm.ini from geo-11
Edit the fix's d3dx.ini to set "force_stereo = 2"
Edit d3dxdm.ini to set my desired output which in my case is usually tab (nvidia_dx9 also works for me as I injected the 3DVision driver using 3dfm into my 516+ driver as I am on a 3080) but I prefer tab.

Run. I hardly ever come across anything that does not work with this method. Arkham Knight I added the loader for into the fix's d3dx.ini but that has been the exception so far and even that had an easier fix later on. i used this exact method for Prey 2017 and had no issues FWIW.

Thats what works for me. Sometimes I have to change full_screen from 1 to 0 or visa versa but thats basically it.
11900K/3080 - Vive Pro - Sony 3DTV
theadzter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by theadzter »

Tnanks Bazza.
I guess I was trying to understand the goings on a bit better.
In the notes, bo3b says to use the game's 3dv fixes d3dx.ini if it has one (as opposed to the one that comes with geo). So I was wondering if a games doesn't have one (or if it's missing elements the geo needs (ie. the loader) if that means elements of the original fixes could be missing/broken. I only assumed that because a couple of the games I tried that 'worked' had issues (ie. Rocket League, the shadows are broken despite the notes saying they're fixed. BF4 only coming up in 2d, etc)
It gets a bit confusing.
For example... Prey is working for me now whether I use the loader or not. . So now I'm confused as to what the loader is for. In fact, if I try to use the 3dmogitoloader it says that I'm missing things. But if I click on it's exe, it's in SBS and working.

Edit.
So now I've re-read the notes, there isn't even a mention of the 3dmogito loader. I've been assuming I needed that to trigger the geo all along.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

theadzter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:39 am Tnanks Bazza.
I guess I was trying to understand the goings on a bit better.
In the notes, bo3b says to use the game's 3dv fixes d3dx.ini if it has one (as opposed to the one that comes with geo). So I was wondering if a games doesn't have one (or if it's missing elements the geo needs (ie. the loader) if that means elements of the original fixes could be missing/broken. I only assumed that because a couple of the games I tried that 'worked' had issues (ie. Rocket League, the shadows are broken despite the notes saying they're fixed. BF4 only coming up in 2d, etc)
It gets a bit confusing.
For example... Prey is working for me now whether I use the loader or not. . So now I'm confused as to what the loader is for. In fact, if I try to use the 3dmogitoloader it says that I'm missing things. But if I click on it's exe, it's in SBS and working.

Edit.
So now I've re-read the notes, there isn't even a mention of the 3dmogito loader. I've been assuming I needed that to trigger the geo all along.
The only thing you need to trigger geo-11 afaik is to use directmode which is indicated by "force_stereo=2" in the d3dx.ini. I think the loader is only required if there are issues whereby "3dmigoto/geo-11" has issues hooking into the game using the standard methods.

Obviously there are some caveats as some tweaks are needed to geo-11 in order not to introduce other issues for some games. These are beyond my understanding but sometimes there needs to be extra settings added to d3dxdm.ini in order to avoid additional breakages. GTA V is a good example of this exception. More on that here viewtopic.php?p=185618#p185618 where an extra TextureOverride section was needed in d3dxdm.ini. Luckily Masterotaku has been providing such geo-11 fix tweaks to his own fixes and putting them up on helixblog site.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

BazzaLB wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:37 am I think this is covered well by bo3b here : http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2022/06/an ... river.html
No offense but I think the way it's explained there leaves a lot of room for questions and confusion:

1. It says to only put the files d3d11.dll, d3dxdm.ini, and nvapi64.dll into the game's directory. It makes no mention of d3dx.ini...

2. Next step, it says, is to edit the d3dx.ini and change "force_stereo=2". But the d3dx.ini is not installed in the game's directory as the previous step never mentioned this file. How will this work then? Am I supposed to do this to the d3dx.ini in the Geo-11 folder I downloaded to my desktop? How will Geo-11 from the game communicate with this file if it's in some random folder/directory on my PC?

3. Then it says something that I can't make any sense out of in 2 different ways. It says: "If you drop the files over top of a working HelixModBlog fix, you'll want to avoid overwriting the d3dx.ini file,".
A. So according to this, only one of the Geo-11 files will actually be moved into the game's folder because the other 2 are trying to overwrite Helix Mod files that are already there and the instructions clearly say to not overwrite the HelixMod files.
B. The instructions (from #1 above) clearly state which files to put inside the game's directory and d3dx.ini is NOT one of them. So how can d3dx.ini potentially overwrite a file if we're not supposed to be moving that file in the first place??? This makes no sense.

I'd appreciate some help as I'm trying to test games with Geo-11, and RTX 3000 series card, and current NV drivers (v5xx.xx)...
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

the d3dx.ini file would be the one from any ORIGINAL fix. If you did not apply ANY fix (from the helixblog site for instance), then yes, you will need the one from geo-11.. but hardly any DX11 games work without a fix these days so that case would seem rather rare.
spin1 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:21 pm 3. Then it says something that I can't make any sense out of in 2 different ways. It says: "If you drop the files over top of a working HelixModBlog fix, you'll want to avoid overwriting the d3dx.ini file,".
A. So according to this, only one of the Geo-11 files will actually be moved into the game's folder because the other 2 are trying to overwrite Helix Mod files that are already there and the instructions clearly say to not overwrite the HelixMod files.
It clearly states not to overwrite the d3dx.ini file. It does NOT state that you shouldnt overwrite ANY file. You absolutely overwrite the .dlls because they are what geo-11 is. The d3dx.ini file comes from any previous FIX you may have installed. If you didnt install any, well I doubt you'll have a pleasant 3d experience anyway being as most (if not all) dx11 games require fixes for 3D these days. But, yeah, if you had no fix installed, then you will need the d3dx.ini from geo-11 and it will not require any editing as its already setup for geo-11, but your game will probably look completely broken in 3D.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

BazzaLB wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:53 pm the d3dx.ini file would be the one from any ORIGINAL fix. If you did not apply ANY fix (from the helixblog site for instance), then yes, you will need the one from geo-11.. but hardly any DX11 games work without a fix these days so that case would seem rather rare.
spin1 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:21 pm 3. Then it says something that I can't make any sense out of in 2 different ways. It says: "If you drop the files over top of a working HelixModBlog fix, you'll want to avoid overwriting the d3dx.ini file,".
It clearly states not to overwrite the d3dx.ini file. It does NOT state that you shouldnt overwrite ANY file. You absolutely overwrite the .dlls because they are what geo-11 is. The d3dx.ini file comes from any previous FIX you may have installed. If you didnt install any, well I doubt you'll have a pleasant 3d experience anyway being as most (if not all) dx11 games require fixes for 3D these days. But, yeah, if you had no fix installed, then you will need the d3dx.ini from geo-11 and it will not require any editing as its already setup for geo-11, but your game will probably look completely broken in 3D.
Yes, my fault. I replied in the main Geo-11 thread.
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zerofool »

I'll try to clarify a bit for the interested (although I'm not an expert on the matter in the slightest, so corrections are welcome).

A fix for a DX11 game basically uses the "tool" (I use the term loosely - it's a quite capable piece of software) called 3Dmigoto which injects into the game process and replaces problematic shaders and can do all sort of other tweaks and improvements to make the 3D experience awesome. Think of it as a middleman between the game and the 3D Vision driver.

3Dmigoto basically consists of the files d3d11.dll, nvapi64.dll (or nvapi.dll for 32-bit games) and d3dx.ini, all of which need to reside next to the game exe.

A fix for a particular game has a unique d3dx.ini - it contains all the information the fix author entered to make the game in question work perfectly. It instructs 3Dmigoto what to do in any given situation - what buggy shader to replace with what fixed shader residing in the ShaderFixes subfolder, etc.

Geo-11 is the spiritual successor to 3Dmigoto. It is designed to replace it, with the major difference that it barely depends on the 3D Vision Driver (it can work with it just like 3Dmigoto, with old AND new nvidia drivers, but can also be completely standalone if you're not using 3D Vision monitor/glasses).
So when you replace the dll files which arrive with the fix with the dlls from the Geo-11 package, you are effectively replacing 3Dmigoto with Geo-11. Geo-11 reads the "instructions" inside d3dx.ini and fixes the 3D in the particular game.

If you try to use Geo-11 on a game which has no fix for it yet, then you'll need the "generic" d3dx.ini which arrives in the Geo-11 package to engage 3D - it's meant for fix authors who are starting from scratch on a fix for a new game, so expect glitchy shaders, analysis details on the HUD, etc.

Geo-11 also needs the new file d3dxdm.ini which contains all the configuration about the workings of Geo-11, the output mode, etc. This file is not specific to a particular game, it has to be configured for your 3D hardware [this is my current understanding, I could be wrong here].

I hope that this info makes all the instructions in the blog post make a bit more sense. Especially why you need to keep the d3dx.ini from the fix and only make small changes to it.

In the future, all this will be handled by the fix authors and the 3D Fix Manager automatically, but for now some basic knowledge and tinkering are required. After all, Geo-11 is in "early access" status of sorts.
nV 3DTV Play, Geo-11, Tridef on 2014 55" Samsung H7000 (aka H7150) @ 1080p60 Checkerboard-3D | Valve Index | RTX 2080Ti, i7-6700K, 32GB 3200CL14, 1+2TB SSDs | Win10 v2004 | DAN A4-SFX | G27
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Zerofool wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:59 am I'll try to clarify a bit for the interested (although I'm not an expert on the matter in the slightest, so corrections are welcome).

A fix for a DX11 game basically uses the "tool" (I use the term loosely - it's a quite capable piece of software) called 3Dmigoto which injects into the game process and replaces problematic shaders and can do all sort of other tweaks and improvements to make the 3D experience awesome. Think of it as a middleman between the game and the 3D Vision driver.

3Dmigoto basically consists of the files d3d11.dll, nvapi64.dll (or nvapi.dll for 32-bit games) and d3dx.ini, all of which need to reside next to the game exe.

A fix for a particular game has a unique d3dx.ini - it contains all the information the fix author entered to make the game in question work perfectly. It instructs 3Dmigoto what to do in any given situation - what buggy shader to replace with what fixed shader residing in the ShaderFixes subfolder, etc.

Geo-11 is the spiritual successor to 3Dmigoto. It is designed to replace it, with the major difference that it barely depends on the 3D Vision Driver (it can work with it just like 3Dmigoto, with old AND new nvidia drivers, but can also be completely standalone if you're not using 3D Vision monitor/glasses).
So when you replace the dll files which arrive with the fix with the dlls from the Geo-11 package, you are effectively replacing 3Dmigoto with Geo-11. Geo-11 reads the "instructions" inside d3dx.ini and fixes the 3D in the particular game.

If you try to use Geo-11 on a game which has no fix for it yet, then you'll need the "generic" d3dx.ini which arrives in the Geo-11 package to engage 3D - it's meant for fix authors who are starting from scratch on a fix for a new game, so expect glitchy shaders, analysis details on the HUD, etc.

Geo-11 also needs the new file d3dxdm.ini which contains all the configuration about the workings of Geo-11, the output mode, etc. This file is not specific to a particular game, it has to be configured for your 3D hardware [this is my current understanding, I could be wrong here].

I hope that this info makes all the instructions in the blog post make a bit more sense. Especially why you need to keep the d3dx.ini from the fix and only make small changes to it.

In the future, all this will be handled by the fix authors and the 3D Fix Manager automatically, but for now some basic knowledge and tinkering are required. After all, Geo-11 is in "early access" status of sorts.
Thank you kindly for this explanation. It's much appreciated.
Gzmyers
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gzmyers »

Zerofool wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:59 am I'll try to clarify a bit for the interested (although I'm not an expert on the matter in the slightest, so corrections are welcome).

Thank you for this🙏🙏 also how do I confirm geo11 is active, not just 3d vision? I'm v new to this, sorry.
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Zerofool wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:59 am ...
Great discussion, but note that geo-11 and 3D Fix Manager devs (and some fix authors) have been silent since your original post...
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”