3D Monitors Not Going Into LIGHTBOOST Mode

spin1
Cross Eyed!

3D Monitors Not Going Into LIGHTBOOST Mode

Post by spin1 »

I have 3D working perfect besides Lightboost. It's trying to go into Lightboost mode. I'll start the game via 3D Fix Manager. The desktop will flash here and there as it goes into 3D mode. When it goes into 3D mode, it also clearly goes into Lightboost mode as the brightness is nice and eye - burning :) (if not wearing the 3d glasses). Then the screen goes black again because the game is about to start up. It's still in Lightboost mode as you can tell the black is bright. Then, the black suddenly gets less bright as the screen goes into the regular 2D non-Lightboost mode and the game appears (loading screens, etc.).

In one game, I got the message about AA being downgraded to 2x because of 3D and about 1 second after that red writing popped up (upon starting the game), I clearly saw the red writing become more dim because of the monitor going into the dimmer 2D, non-Lightboost mode.

Other than that, 3D is working fine but the Lightboost brightness is severely needed. Setting my monitors' 2D brightness to 100% helps a little but it's still not the brightness of the Lightboost mode. It's not a monitor issue because A. I tried this on all 3 of my monitors, B. The Lightboost brightness clearly works on the desktop when 3D mode is enabled and while the game is loading up (but not after it's finished loading).

Setup:
3x Dell S2716DG 3D Vision 2 monitors
RTX 2080 Ti
All monitors plugged in via officially certified Displayport 1.2 cables
11900KF (moving to 12900KS later today)
32 GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3628 MHz @ 14-15-15-35-1T tRFC 260 tREFI 65534 Gear 1
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Ultra
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Re: 3D Monitors Not Going Into LIGHTBOOST Mode

Post by treeeddd »

Which monitor has the "lightboost" mode? I don't think it's a mode per say, it's more like it means brighter blacklight strobing from monitors with brighter LEDs or has the backlight strobiing tuned so it can strobe brighter without introducing crosstalk? Some monitors can change the pulse width of the backlight strobe to make it brighter or dimmer, dimmer means clearer image.

I have an old asus vg27...something, it has lightboost, I haven't used it yet since returning to 3d vision. I don't recall the Dell s2716dg as to having lightboost, as it didn't feel as it was bright as it could have been. It does have a backlight strobing pulse witdth setting, I have utilized it while running it at 100hz with CRU settings. At 100hz, the crosstalk is completely eliminated too. I wasn't too keen on the dull colors though.

yeah, so I don't think lightboost is a mode, it's just a terminology as branding at the time when 3d vision gaming was just too dim, back in the day. Also, the red writing that comes up in the game means there's a frequency mismatch from the monitor to the glasses. So you'll need to check what resoluton and frequency the game is running at. Even frequency can be tuned with the CRU and nvtimmingED tool, it's a bit more involved in though.

Newer monitors can get brighter, but only a few these days can work with 3d vision well. There's a couple of newer TN panels that have better colors and at least 400nits brightness, again backlight strobing will cut it down to 200nits or less depending on how it's tuned within the monitor. Anything close to 200nits backlight strobing would probably be something like what "lightboost" is.

I have a the 3d vision 2 glasses, it still cuts down alot of the brightness I find, even on on a 400-500nit monitor. Still alot better than with older 3d vision monitors. Newer TN monitors are coming out with faster refresh time so brighter blacklight strobing should be possible as well, newer samsung VA gaming monitors have good enough refresh timing that it doesn't even need backlight strobing. I was hoping the new odyssey neo G8 & G7 would bright SDR performance, but it doesn't. Any 3d vision games run in HDR mode? Amazon drop the price on these monitors for some reason, maybe people just aren't buying them due to the QC issues. IDK, now I'm just rambling.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:42 am Which monitor has the "lightboost" mode? I don't think it's a mode per say, it's more like it means brighter blacklight strobing from monitors with brighter LEDs or has the backlight strobiing tuned so it can strobe brighter without introducing crosstalk? Some monitors can change the pulse width of the backlight strobe to make it brighter or dimmer, dimmer means clearer image.

I have an old asus vg27...something, it has lightboost, I haven't used it yet since returning to 3d vision. I don't recall the Dell s2716dg as to having lightboost, as it didn't feel as it was bright as it could have been. It does have a backlight strobing pulse witdth setting, I have utilized it while running it at 100hz with CRU settings. At 100hz, the crosstalk is completely eliminated too. I wasn't too keen on the dull colors though.

yeah, so I don't think lightboost is a mode, it's just a terminology as branding at the time when 3d vision gaming was just too dim, back in the day. Also, the red writing that comes up in the game means there's a frequency mismatch from the monitor to the glasses. So you'll need to check what resoluton and frequency the game is running at. Even frequency can be tuned with the CRU and nvtimmingED tool, it's a bit more involved in though.

Newer monitors can get brighter, but only a few these days can work with 3d vision well. There's a couple of newer TN panels that have better colors and at least 400nits brightness, again backlight strobing will cut it down to 200nits or less depending on how it's tuned within the monitor. Anything close to 200nits backlight strobing would probably be something like what "lightboost" is.

I have a the 3d vision 2 glasses, it still cuts down alot of the brightness I find, even on on a 400-500nit monitor. Still alot better than with older 3d vision monitors. Newer TN monitors are coming out with faster refresh time so brighter blacklight strobing should be possible as well, newer samsung VA gaming monitors have good enough refresh timing that it doesn't even need backlight strobing. I was hoping the new odyssey neo G8 & G7 would bright SDR performance, but it doesn't. Any 3d vision games run in HDR mode? Amazon drop the price on these monitors for some reason, maybe people just aren't buying them due to the QC issues. IDK, now I'm just rambling.
If you're using 3D Vision then your monitor is in Lightboost mode unless it's a very old 3D monitor where Lightboost didn't exist yet. Lightboost, as you pointed out, improves brightness and goes into strobing mode. The Dell S2716DG has Lightboost. As I mentioned, it clearly goes into Lightboost mode temporarily as the brightness becomes eye-burning :) however, it then goes back into the regular non-Lightboost, non-3D brightness that my desktop is normally at. Even if I set my desktop to 100% brightness, it's still not as bright as the 3D Vision Lightboost. It never had this Lightboost problem until I moved from Win 8.1 to Win 10.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm:
Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB)

The Dell S2716DG also features an integrated Blur Reduction Backlight system, dubbed "Ultra Low Motion Blur" (ULMB). This is linked to the G-sync module and is provided on most G-sync enabled screens that have a native high refresh rate. We have already seen a lot of positive improvements in perceived motion blur from such systems in the past. Our in depth article from June 2013 (updated 17 March 2015) looked at this in a lot more detail, and tested some of the original LightBoost "hacks" to achieve a strobed backlight and blur reduction benefits. Since then we've seen a quite a lot of monitors integrate a strobed backlight with simple user control from the menu and with better implementation than LightBoost methods.

The ULMB feature is accessible from the 'display' section of the OSD menu. It is only available when running the screen at 85, 100 and 120Hz modes. It is not available at 144Hz, and it is also important to note that ULMB does not work when you are using G-sync, it's one or the other. When you enable the ULMB feature a new option appears for the "Pulse Width" which allows you to control the duration of the backlight strobes. A shorter "on" period can help reduce perceived motion blur even more, but at the cost of screen brightness. You can adjust this between 100 and 10, and as you lower the setting the screen also becomes progressively darker as you reduce the "on" period of the strobe. Nice to see this included as an option within the menu for those who like to play around with the setting, much like you could do by adjusting LightBoost levels on older models using the "hack" method. There is no control to adjust the timing of the strobe to impact the strobe cross-talk it can introduce, so we will have to hope that the default timing setup is suitable.
Idk, I not sure what lightboost mode is on the S2716DG, I don't think it has do anything with 3d vision on the computer. You probably don't have the glasses sync'ed correctly to the monitor to get a proper 3d vision image. I know that newer monitors have sort of boosted light strobing mode, but their panels have higher max brightness closer to 500nits to begin with.

I'll have to play around with the S2716DG more to see if I reduce the crosstalk without the backlight strobing, if the overdrive setting is fast enough for it, then you'll get the full max brightness. Tuning the 3d vision glasses with nvtimmingED does cut down on the birghtness quite a bit when trying to reduce the crosstalk however.

There's newer TN panels that are brighter and have more colors, like the Pixio PX278. Might just be work well with 3d vision. It's the only one that isn't so expensive as the 240hz verision of this newer TN panel, but those are almost non-existent due to no one buying them.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I was playing with my S2716DG today, it isn't as bad as I thought it was. Something with the resolution didn't match and sometimes it wouldn't give me full brightness at 120hz, it was stuck in backlight strobing or something. I couldn't get it to run 1080p natively either in CRU, 1080p would always upscale to 1440p. Once I got that all figured it, it does well with the 3d vision and backlight strobing at 120hz. But I wanted to see it without backlight strobing, and only got it to work at 144hz because the strobing doesn't automatically kick in. Now you can see how it looks at full brightness, but there is going to be crosstalk at the top and bottom (mostly at the top though). Here's the settings to try out for yourself:

22E50000500A000A010A5000090A20000706A005A1056700A4050500 86450100D00101000600000064BF000001020304

You'll need to enter it exactly.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

3DNovice wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:15 am I know that to reduce crosstalk on my Dell S2716DG, I had to reduce brightness by half. I liked my Dell S2716DG, but the backlighting sucked due to it not being LED. I never used it on W10

Blurbusters has a lot of lightboost information
https://blurbusters.com/

I can't remember if I used the firmware update
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us ... or/drivers
Brightness makes no difference to crosstalk with either of my three Dell S2716DG monitors therefore I always have brightness at 100% during 3D. Contrast, on the other hand, is what makes a difference. I find a good compromise to be 73%.
treeeddd wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:45 pm I was playing with my S2716DG today, it isn't as bad as I thought it was. Something with the resolution didn't match and sometimes it wouldn't give me full brightness at 120hz, it was stuck in backlight strobing or something. I couldn't get it to run 1080p natively either in CRU, 1080p would always upscale to 1440p. Once I got that all figured it, it does well with the 3d vision and backlight strobing at 120hz. But I wanted to see it without backlight strobing, and only got it to work at 144hz because the strobing doesn't automatically kick in. Now you can see how it looks at full brightness, but there is going to be crosstalk at the top and bottom (mostly at the top though). Here's the settings to try out for yourself:

22E50000500A000A010A5000090A20000706A005A1056700A4050500 86450100D00101000600000064BF000001020304

You'll need to enter it exactly.
I'm not sure I understand. So you got 3D to work at 144 Hz (72 Hz / eye)?
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Yes. But there's going to be some crosstalk at the top and bottom due to the panel not being quite fast enough in refresh rate due to no backlight strobing. If you do no scaling in the GPU nvidia control panel to 1080p, the game will run in a smaller fullscreen 1080p window which will reduce the crosstalk from the top and bottom of the screen.

CRU tool is fairly forgiving if you screw up in the settings, you can delete the profile and everything will go back to normal with the restart tool provide with CRU.

Blacklight strobing will provide a better 3d effect, but without strobing it's easier on the eyes especially at higher refresh rates. I got back into 3d vision because newer monitors are having faster refresh rates and are brighter as well. So far the samsung odyssey G7 is fast enough to provide a crosstalk free 3d images with some shadow crosstalk due to the overdrive, without the need for backlight strobing. IPS monitors are much faster now, so far I have yet to find one that is fast enough for 3d vision. The AUO IPS panels have some sort of image retention issues that shows up in 3d vision, and these are mostly used by asus, acer, msi, samsung IPS monitors. I'm looking to test some LG panels like the 32gp850, which on paper seems fast enough for 3d vision. Newer monitors can get brighter too.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:51 am
Yes. But there's going to be some crosstalk at the top and bottom due to the panel not being quite fast enough in refresh rate due to no backlight strobing. If you do no scaling in the GPU nvidia control panel to 1080p, the game will run in a smaller fullscreen 1080p window which will reduce the crosstalk from the top and bottom of the screen.

CRU tool is fairly forgiving if you screw up in the settings, you can delete the profile and everything will go back to normal with the restart tool provide with CRU.

Blacklight strobing will provide a better 3d effect, but without strobing it's easier on the eyes especially at higher refresh rates. I got back into 3d vision because newer monitors are having faster refresh rates and are brighter as well. So far the samsung odyssey G7 is fast enough to provide a crosstalk free 3d images with some shadow crosstalk due to the overdrive, without the need for backlight strobing. IPS monitors are much faster now, so far I have yet to find one that is fast enough for 3d vision. The AUO IPS panels have some sort of image retention issues that shows up in 3d vision, and these are mostly used by asus, acer, msi, samsung IPS monitors. I'm looking to test some LG panels like the 32gp850, which on paper seems fast enough for 3d vision. Newer monitors can get brighter too.
Sorry, I need to ask again because I feel like I'm dreaming here. You're saying:

A. we can get 3D Vision to work at 144 Hz (instead of 120) and therefore 72 fps / eye (instead of 60) and with the Nv 3D glasses also properly working at 72 Hz / eye?

B. we can get 3D Vision working with any 120 Hz or more monitor regardless of resolution, regardless of panel type, regardless if it has strobing or not, etc. (whether the monitor has a lot of crosstalk, or is not bright enough to enjoy, is another matter, let's ignore those aspects for now)?

If yes, I think you should start a thread because 3D Vision users have been asking for years and years about higher framerate / refresh rate NV 3D Vision (specifically 144 Hz ie. 72 Hz & fps / eye) and about 3D Vision monitors (so many threads about "what's the best 3D monitor", "are there 4K 3D monitors", "are there 32" monitors", "are there new 3D monitors", etc.). I'm sure the NV 3D Vision community would rejoice, or faint, upon hearing that they can use NV 3D Vision on a beautiful monitor like the 32", 1000R, HDR, 1440p Samsung G8, the new 32", 1000R, 4K, HDR, Samsung Neo G8, and on top of that, @ 144 Hz/fps (72/eye).

P.S. So, if running 144 Hz in 3D (72 Hz / eye), if you enable VSync, the monitor/game should sync at 72 fps, not 144. Is this what's happening?
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

P.S. So, if running 144 Hz in 3D (72 Hz / eye), if you enable VSync, the monitor/game should sync at 72 fps, not 144. Is this what's happening?
Not sure what Vsync does when enabled to the refresh rate or timing. 3D vision has a couple of certified monitors that work at 144hz already, so we are just borrowing those profiles for use on the Dell S2716dg at 144hz. The crosstalk is due to how long it takes the refresh rate to complete from the top to bottom, this is where backlight strobing comes in. Still a quick refresh rate is needed to completely eliminate the crosstalk, LCD panel technology is requires an overdrive setting to get those fast response times from the pixel transition, but does incur overshoot which is clearly seen in 3d vision.

IPS monitors are the slowest, they can only achieve fast response times at higher hertz, but for 3d vision we want fast response times at 85-144hz. The thing is, manufacturers tune the overdrive the higher refresh rates, and lower refresh rates are slower. The new oled monitors may work great with 3d vision due to it's response times be fast regardless of refresh rate. Biggest issue is they don't that bright needed for 3d vision.

I think VA panels are fast enough with just a couple of slower transitions in the darker areas. Backlight strobing is still needed to get a crosstalk free experience from the top and bottom of the screen. Some panels have backlight strobing adjustment, while some will be too dim for 3d vision. Anything that's 150-200nits while strobing will be good for 3d vision. Newer monitors can do that due to the higher max brightness they can hit.
If yes, I think you should start a thread because 3D Vision users have been asking for years and years about higher framerate
I posted some info on a thread for this subforum, I don't think most people are interested because it requires some tinkering and knowledge on display tech. So far the odyssey G7 produces pretty good results with 3d vision. The newer neo G7 and G8, have slower response times and don't get that bright in SDR. So I don't think it's worth trying it for 3d vision atm.

I'm still interested in testing other monitors, but they are just too expensive right now.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Regarding the new Samsung monitors not being bright enough in SDR mode compared to their older gen Odyssey G7, can't HDR monitors be put into HDR mode and still display SDR content? I mean, what happens if I have an HDR monitor and suddenly start an old game from, let's say, 2012. If the monitor is in HDR mode, why wouldn't it be able to display something that doesn't have HDR?

Please excuse my ignorance, I have almost 0 experience with HDR (besides seeing it on TVs at friends' houses).
treeeddd wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:54 pmNot sure what Vsync does when enabled to the refresh rate or timing.
During 120 Hz native 3D Vision mode, setting VSync will make the game sync at 60 Hz, so if the monitor, glasses, etc. are truly working at 144 Hz, 72 / eye, wouldn't the games sync at 72 Hz if enabling VSync during NV 3D mode?
treeeddd wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:54 pm3D vision has a couple of certified monitors that work at 144hz already, so we are just borrowing those profiles for use on the Dell S2716dg at 144hz.
You're talking about officially supported 144 Hz (and 165 Hz) in 2D mode, not 3D (no such thing), yes?
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

to know that 3D Vision would work on his Samsung CRG49
I just looked at the rtings review on it, it doesn't have BFI so there's going to be crosstalk. And being ultrawide as well, may take longer for the panel to refresh. Getting the 3d vision to work with any monitor is pretty simple, all it takes is to override the EDID with CRU. The difficult part is to understand how to tune the glasses to make it work with the monitor. Most monitor with with normal aspect ratio of 1080p or 1440p, will already have the default 3d vision profiles to make it work. It's a just a matter of tuning the monitor and glasses that makes it difficult. It gets easier when you become more familiar with how it work.
Regarding the new Samsung monitors not being bright enough in SDR mode compared to their older gen Odyssey G7, can't HDR monitors be put into HDR mode and still display SDR content? I mean, what happens if I have an HDR monitor and suddenly start an old game from, let's say, 2012. If the monitor is in HDR mode, why wouldn't it be able to display something that doesn't have HDR?
I'm unfamiliar with how HDR works as well in windows with SDR games. The neo G7 and G8 should work with 3d vision, they both have BFI implementation. The thing is, you should become more familiar with getting 3d vision to run on a non 3d vision monitor. It's still requires tuning of the timing of the glasses in order for it to work.
so if the monitor, glasses, etc. are truly working at 144 Hz, 72 / eye, wouldn't the games sync at 72 Hz if enabling VSync during NV 3D mode?
So I've ran 3d vision sucessfully at 85hz, 100hz, 120hz, 144hz, 165hz. Now the profiles for tuning the glasses work at 100hz,120hz, 144hz. I have yet to find a profile that works at 85hz and 165hz, which is needed to get the timing of the glasses right.

I don't know how vysnc is going to affect it. 3d vision only runs at those frequencies. 60hz may be possible, but I've yet to test it.
You're talking about officially supported 144 Hz (and 165 Hz) in 2D mode, not 3D (no such thing), yes?
3d vision can run on any monitor at 85hz,100hz, 120hz, 144hz. It's a matter of the monitor being able to be good enough for 3d vision. That's why I'm interested in these newer monitors coming out. They are certainly fast enough now, but it still requires the manufacturer to make fast refresh rates and BFI implementation for 3d vision to truly shine.

Try it out for yourself, because it's the only way to get a better understanding of how 3d vision works on non certified monitors. Would be great if someone else can find a good 3d vision compatible monitor, it's only going to be a handful of them I'm sure of it. So far the odyssey G7 work quite well, only with minor overdrive shadows. The G7 is a bit tricky to get working with 3d vision due to a micro sync issue.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:51 am So far the samsung odyssey G7 is fast enough to provide a crosstalk free 3d images with some shadow crosstalk due to the overdrive, without the need for backlight strobing...
I just purchased a Samsung Odyssey G7 because of you :) (1st gen model you spoke of, not the new "Neo" models). If I like the way it runs in 3D Vision, I'll buy 2 more to replace my 3x Dell S2716DG setup for surround racing games.

Would you be so kind as to list a step by step tutorial on getting 3D Vision working properly with the Samsung Odyssey G7? I've never done any sort of custom timing things for either my NV 3D glasses nor NV 3D emitter nor monitor...Very excited to hopefully upgrade from 27" 3D to 32" 3D.

I'll download NV Timings Ed and CRU for now as I'm assuming those programs are needed based on the pics you sent above regarding the Dell S2716DG.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

First check out this thread to get a better idea of how I started with the odyssey G7.

viewtopic.php?t=23330&sid=f64a0734ff183 ... 4edad26a76.
Would you be so kind as to list a step by step tutorial on getting 3D Vision working properly with the Samsung Odyssey G7
I help you with one step at a time, it going to better if you become more familiar with CRU and NvtimingsED yourself, the programs are pretty easy to use.

It's not really necessary, but I did update to the latest firmware. I notice the backlight strobing was better, but we aren't going to need it :mrgreen: .
Now on the monitor change the frequency to 120hz and turn on adaptive sync in the menu.

The first hurdle to overcome is to get the stereoscopic 3d menu in the Nvidia control to show as genertic CRT as the 3d vision compatible monitor. If this shows up for you then you won't need to do an EDID override of the monitor.

If it doesns't, then there's a couple of was to do it of overriding the EDID. Easiest way is to find an INF of a monitor that is 3d vision compatible or freesync compatible. Better to find a user generated INF of the monitor so that it will force you to turn of the driver signature in order to install it. This will make the stereoscoptic 3d tab setting available to select.

The other way is to do a CRU EDID override. The NVtimingsED has the list of 3d vision compatible monitor IDs that you can change in CRU in order to override it to that 3d vision monitor EDID. It's not going to change if the stereoscoptic 3d tab in nvidia conrol panel isn't available to select. In the other thread I posted above, I describe how you can go into the regedit to change the EDID of the CRU override reg EDIT. You can just find the edid already in the regedit of any monitor you've connected, manually copy the code and paste it into the CRU override EDId.

Next step is to set the NVtimingsED monitor ID into the CRU profile at the top so it will change the odyssey into a 3d vision monitor.

Do this first, then we will go to setting up the NvtimingsED to CRU to make the 3d glasses to work.

From my limited testing, the two biggest issues I've run into is a micro sync issues that causes the glasses to drift off sync, and the other is that it doesn't always sync up perfect when running the program or game, it's may take a couple of restarts of the program or game to get to sync up.

Good thing I've spent hours and hours figuring it out, because it's totally worth the 3d experience you get out of this monitor. Just become more familiar with CRU and nvtimingsED because you may need to fine tune it yourself.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

treeeddd wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:01 pm First check out this thread to get a better idea of how I started with the odyssey G7.

viewtopic.php?t=23330&sid=f64a0734ff183 ... 4edad26a76.
Would you be so kind as to list a step by step tutorial on getting 3D Vision working properly with the Samsung Odyssey G7
I help you with one step at a time, it going to better if you become more familiar with CRU and NvtimingsED yourself, the programs are pretty easy to use.

It's not really necessary, but I did update to the latest firmware. I notice the backlight strobing was better, but we aren't going to need it :mrgreen: .
Now on the monitor change the frequency to 120hz and turn on adaptive sync in the menu.

The first hurdle to overcome is to get the stereoscopic 3d menu in the Nvidia control to show as genertic CRT as the 3d vision compatible monitor. If this shows up for you then you won't need to do an EDID override of the monitor.

If it doesns't, then there's a couple of was to do it of overriding the EDID. Easiest way is to find an INF of a monitor that is 3d vision compatible or freesync compatible. Better to find a user generated INF of the monitor so that it will force you to turn of the driver signature in order to install it. This will make the stereoscoptic 3d tab setting available to select.

The other way is to do a CRU EDID override. The NVtimingsED has the list of 3d vision compatible monitor IDs that you can change in CRU in order to override it to that 3d vision monitor EDID. It's not going to change if the stereoscoptic 3d tab in nvidia conrol panel isn't available to select. In the other thread I posted above, I describe how you can go into the regedit to change the EDID of the CRU override reg EDIT. You can just find the edid already in the regedit of any monitor you've connected, manually copy the code and paste it into the CRU override EDId.

Next step is to set the NVtimingsED monitor ID into the CRU profile at the top so it will change the odyssey into a 3d vision monitor.

Do this first, then we will go to setting up the NvtimingsED to CRU to make the 3d glasses to work.

From my limited testing, the two biggest issues I've run into is a micro sync issues that causes the glasses to drift off sync, and the other is that it doesn't always sync up perfect when running the program or game, it's may take a couple of restarts of the program or game to get to sync up.

Good thing I've spent hours and hours figuring it out, because it's totally worth the 3d experience you get out of this monitor. Just become more familiar with CRU and nvtimingsED because you may need to fine tune it yourself.
Thanks, I'll get started on that later when I get home.

Have you seen this Odyssey G7 3D thread? viewtopic.php?t=25545
Might be some useful info in there,

Should I start a new thread or maybe continue in that thread? I'm afraid the title of this thread having nothing to do with getting a Samsung Odyssey G7 to work with BV 3DV won't do it justice...
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Have you seen this Odyssey G7 3D thread? viewtopic.php?t=25545
Might be some useful info in there,
yeah, That's what got me back into 3d vision. The thing is he left out alot of information on setting up nvtimingsED, how to override the EDID (which never worked for me with the official monitor INF driver), and he never really addressed the micro sync issues. I pretty much had to figure it all out on my own with just trial and error. I'm into display tech so it was a good learning experience from testing out other monitors with 3d vision.
Should I start a new thread or maybe continue in that thread?
It's up to you, the "Can the 3D Vision2 kit work with "not 3D" 120Hz TV ?" could be something to continue from.

Here's a list of INF that could possibly be use to override the monitor in device manager: https://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2025

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”