Resolution issues with Samsung TV

rondn
One Eyed Hopeful

Resolution issues with Samsung TV

Post by rondn »

Hi everyone,
My family has had a 2010 C-series 3D Samsung TV for ages now, but we never really used the 3D functionality much. Recently I've been playing around with 3D gaming on it, and there's no denying that it's a pretty cool effect. The first 3D software I played around with was Dolphin, and while the "HDMI 3D" mode didn't seem to work for me, I had great success setting regular 1080p60 resolution, using Dolphin's Side By Side mode, and then using the TV's option to turn that into true 3D. It's rather clunky to mess with settings since as soon as I alt tab back to my desktop things appear very broken until I disable 3D on the TV. However, the image is exceptionally clean when using 3D this way. I understand that since the TV receives a 1920x1080 signal, the effective resolution is 960x1080 with rectangular pixels. While not quite as good as true 1080p would be, the simple scaling makes for a very sharp, pleasing image.

After that, I downloaded 3D Fix Manager and tried playing Portal 2. While setting that up, I discovered that the TV only seems to support 2 modes in proper HDMI 3D: 1080p24 and 720p60. I'm not sure how common this is, but it sure is annoying! Since the TV has a 1080p native resolution, the non-integer scaling from 720p looks very muddy and unpleasant. I would hugely prefer the 960x1080 presentation of Side By Side mode. In 3D Fix Manager's settings, I see there is a SBS option for 3dmigoto but not Helix Mod. I understand the 3dmigoto is for dx11 and Helix Mod is for dx9. Is that true? One other thought I had to get better image quality in the 720p mode was using NVIDIA DSR to render at 1440p and downscale. However, NVIDIA Control Panel wants to use 1080p as the base resolution, and limits to 24hz! Is there any way around this?

Finally, I must say that this community is awesome, and it's really cool that you all are keeping this tech alive. 3DFM in particular is shockingly streamlined for all the functionality it offers. Hopefully you'll have some wisdom to help a noob like me out.
Thanks,
Ron

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”