A 2d compatible 3d ATSC proposed standard

tripletopper
One Eyed Hopeful

A 2d compatible 3d ATSC proposed standard

Post by tripletopper »

Has anyone heard of news in August 2011 about people in "old world immigrant communities" discovering that they would be locked out of the proposed 2012 3d super bowl because they use rabbit ears and currently need ATSC to NTSC converters for their TVs?

When I heard that, I decided to save for a 3d tv on a minimum wage Social Security Disability income. By December I got got out of debt and had enough spare money to get a 3DTV, admittedly the world's cheapest 3dtv, the Sony Playstation 3d tv, probably the Model T of 3DTVs,. I caught it on a $180 valley.

But since then, it became cool to be a 3d hater. 2 tv sell identical everything except one is 2d and the other is 3d. The 3d one way cheaper, but the 2d one sold for more and sold faster.

3d has suddenly became a "negative value feature". 3d haters were taking a stand against FOMO. They feared they'd be shut out of tv because 3d viewing excludes 2d tv viewing.

And that's a legitimate concern. Plus it's a bandwidth eater. Cable amd satellite would rather carry more channels vs 3d channels of the same stuff that's 2d.

That got me thinking: if it's easy turn 3d tv into 2dtv, (poke out Thor's eye. Like in Ragnorok) then what prevents one uncoded main eye, and one hidden second eye fron be implanted in the signal, like closed captions, second audio programs, and Dolby surround?

Then I read somewhere most of TV studios and producers prefers to produce TV in 30 frames per seconds as opposed to 60. The ATSC minimum standard is 60 hz. A hertz is a "countable unit per second" and a frame is countable. So there's 60 frames per second in one channel. So in theory, 30 of those frames could be overt. And 30 encoded.

If you got 3d equipment it would interpret it as 30 hz x 2 eyes, but if you don't it would by default read it as 30hz x 1 eye. Sort of like how foreign soundtracks and extra surround speakers are ignored by equipment that doesn't understand it.

I think Cleveland Ohio is the perfect test market for 2d-compatible 3d tv. There is a large old world population who will call the station when there's something wrong. They preemptively griped when they heard of the 2012 Super Bowl and caused the NFL to convert to Green/Magenta 3d for the Halftime show and 3D Chuck episode.

If 3d can be snuck into 2d content and Parma thinks all systems normal, then we tested the 2d compatibility.

I have have some "test footage" of closed captioning during ABC's showing of Rankin/Bass's Return of the King. If you turn on closed captions, the captions say something similar to "this is a test of the closed captioning system. If you are not participating and see these words call your local tv station broadcasting the tv signal. The indented purpose is to display dialog and sound effects to the deaf by printing them out with text that is hidden to most people, but visible to those who can decode them."

If 3d interferes with 2d tv, they'll let you know.

Sort of like how the black and white signal is overt on NTSC and the color difference signal was on a synched carrier.

The engineer at WEWS Cleveland. Ohio ABC-5 thinks I came up with a great strategy for a bandwidth neutral 2d-compatible 3d broadcast system. The other Cleveland Stations loved the idea but felt it's going in a totally different direction from the rest of the nation. Everyone was talking 4k, 30 bit color, and 120 hz.

Then I said 3d can be added to anything. To keep bandwidth neutral. When you double the eyes. You cut the frames in half. Since they saw less potential in 120 hz vs 4k or 3p bit color, they could locally 3d-ify naturally 30 hz programming, and could slip it in.

I just found out the FCC doesn't regulate 3d tv. It's just natural forces and FOMO preventing 3d broadcasting from existing. An undercover 3d campaign could work on broadcast.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”